Register now to get rid of these ads!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by logdog37 chevy, Mar 4, 2013.

1. logdog37 chevy

logdog37 chevy
    from otsego

Hi I have a 1937 Chevy half ton truck that was my great grandpa's. me and my dad are going to start doing the body work on it what can I do to get it lower without doing anything to the frame:confused:

2. slammed

slammed

How much time have you spent around old cars and truck's? If your looking to leave the fenders on it and have truck when your done welcome aboard. Pix of this truck. Drive train plans. Theme of build. This helps w/ your question.

3. logdog37 chevy

logdog37 chevy
    from otsego

I have spent many years with old cars but this is the first time i have done a full rebuild. It has a 261 chevy engine with a stock frame. I plan to take the fenders off and I want it to look like an old school hot rod.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

banging

head

on

keyboard

!!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. jimstro16

jimstro16

Good luck... sounds like your going to need it

6. rustang

rustang

The '37-'38 trucks are one of my all time faves, I've had a couple of them over the years... my present one I've owned for 32 years.....

Just my opinion, but this style truck looks best with the fenders on, i don't really care for the look with the fenders removed on these, esp. if they are not lowered.

Lowering one without frame or body mods is pretty tough to do using the stock running gear...
    Tom

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

You have one of the most desirable years of the chevy trucks. I agree with all the others about leaving the fenders on your build. After it's all said and done the time and effort put into your truck, it would be well worth it in appearance and value. And I am sure your grandfather would be proud of you for saving his truck. Good luck with your build.

8. LAROKE

LAROKE

This one is lowered about three inches in front (leaf springs from Eaton with hot rod drop and ride rates) and two inches in back (lowering blocks).

I agree with the others that this year of truck looks much better with fenders.

[​IMG]

9. logdog37 chevy

logdog37 chevy
    from otsego

It does look good with fenders.

10. B.Sharp

B.Sharp

Her's mine with a fatman IFS/ 2" dropped spindles under the front and 3 leafs in the rear with 2" blocks. Full fendered and a long bed.

[​IMG]

11. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

For the love of God please leave the fenders on.

12. Yup leave the fenders on!!

13. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, about that fender thing...... :rolleyes: You might go take a look at some posts on here on authentic hot rods from the '40's and the '50's ( can someone post a link to help him out?)

Up through about 1934, a lot of the "old school" (read, origional) hot rods do look very cool without fenders, although a lot of them ran fenders for street use, and looked very good also. After about 1935, the no fender look just doesn't look so good.

Research and plan before you start altering stuff just for the sake of changing it, and you'll end up with a better looking project.

Just my 2 cents worth, Kinky6 :cool:

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Do your gr grandpa proud and fix it up like he would like to see it.

15. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I can hear it from here.

16. jarhead

jarhead

17. There you go, dropped axle and full fenders would be the ticket. Those are cool lookin trucks...when they have fenders.

18. Black Primer

Black Primer

If you really hate your fenders PM me. I'd be interested in them.

19. raymay

raymay

Another vote for leaving the fenders on. There is plenty of room under them if you plan on lowering the truck. Check some of the aftermarket spring options. The cheapest way to lower the back is to install lowering blocks.
    I have had a few 37 Chevy trucks. On my last one I cut and pasted pictures, did drawings and even build a diecast model of what I wanted to build. The result was a modified body into a kingcab that was mounted on an S-10 chassis which provided me with one of the nicest handling rides. It was a pleasure to drive this truck on long trips. Low does look nice but you should also consider being able to enjoy driving it. Where you live and the kind of roads you drive could play a part in your decisions. I had my truck lower until one day when I had the bed loaded and it kept bottoming out. A switch to a different size lowering block in the rear end solved my problem and I was still satisfied with the look and ride I was getting.
    Before you start, try getting a plan together of what you want the truck to look like and how you want it to handle. Look at other guys trucks, ask questions, keep an open mind and check out the type of parts you could consider using on your build. Once you know the direction you want to go, you should be on your way to a successful build.
    Good luck. Take your time and have fun with it.

Attached Files:

• 42.jpg
      42.jpg
      File size:
      187.7 KB
      Views:
    • 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      109.2 KB
      Views: