Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Studebaker National Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Here's the latest museum tour at Motor City Garage, the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana.

There's a lot of cool stuff in this place but among my favorites are the Studebaker Indy cars--premier examples of the so-called "junk formula," a fascinating period in Indy 500 history. Also bullet-nose cars, the beautiful Loewy Coupes, et al. As always, your expert input is invited.

LINK:

A Visit to the Studebaker National Museum | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. frenchie

frenchie

i was there back in the summer, really kool place.

3. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Was there a few years back, the President Roadsters got most of my attention

4. Indiana has a number of nice car museums...you could easily make a weekend of them.

5. Model T1

Model T1

Am I correct, this museum replaced an old dealership or assembly plant that had been converted? It was way back in the 90's when we went last. Still it was very interesting. While we were inside the curator was out looking at our 55 Chevy post.

6. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

Used to be an old dealer, that was across from the plant. The plant is gone, not sure about the dealer. The new museum is located behind the Oliver estate.

7. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Awesome place. Remember to go down into the basement. Some killer prototypes down there.

8. aircap

aircap

Someday I must make the pilgrimage to the old home place where Studebakers were born.

9. My wife took this picture last fall when we were there...The prototype Studes are kick ass!!!

Attached Files:

10. Yes, I believe the old museum was a former Studebaker building of some kind but I don't know what. and it had a complete sheet metal facade so it was hard to tell what it was. The new facility is purpose-built for the museum and totally beautiful.

11. mramc1

mramc1

The old museum was in part of the old body assembly plant I believe. I drove my '46 M5 to the museum back in 2003. Wasn't the nicest part of the city as it was in the industrial center which was kind of run down and dodgy. I haven't been to the new museum.

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The link below will explain the museum and some history of Studebaker.

http://www.studebakermuseum.org/p/about/history/

One of the few remaining Studebaker buildings, the huge "ivy tower" assembly plant, located South of the previous Freeman-Spicer museum location, is still in use as storage and is being renovated.

13. Super, thanks! I see you are in the South Bend area. It's great to have people share all their valuable knowledge.