Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bill Von Esser intake

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearhead695456, Jan 18, 2012.

1. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Been trying to find out something about this 2x2 intake that i have, its an old aluminum one for a later flathead engine has the oil filler tube hole on the front. Ive found very little on the web about him or his intakes. All ive found is he had a speed shop in Chicago and built some notable cars such as a panamericana Corvette and '22 T. Are his intakes rare at all?

2. showrod

showrod

check out my profile page

3. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Showrod, You win.

4. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

Nice T Showrod! So anybody know what production numbers were like for his speed parts? Did he crank out 10 or 10000 of these intakes, any ideas? Mine seems prone to cracking, maybe some didnt make it.

5. showrod

showrod

no one knows the exact amount but the guestimate is 100ish.
    I believe he made three runs about 30 at a time max.
    look yours over closely to see if he stamped a number in it. mine is stamped b 17 if I remember right.
    its stamped on top by the rear carb.

6. Showrod...how did I know that this thread would catch your attention?

7. gearhead695456

gearhead695456

I'm glad some one has some knowledge on him , cause the web is pretty scarce. We need to preserve our hot rodding heritage. Showrod, is his shop still standing in Chicago? What ended up happening to it?

8. showrod

showrod

Von Esser's closed in the mid 70's. the building is still there. it is now a hair salon.
    typical ma and pop speed shop squeeky oak floor bords. packed full of speed equipment.
    Bill's story is finally getting told in the Altig/KIllmer book east vs west coming out in the spring.

9. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow showrod, that is some amazing stuff! What was the Milwaukee Ave. address? Building still there? Quick search also shows a 2840 N. Kedzie address as well from an ad out of Popular Mechanics Sept 1948.

10. Those are some awesome pix in your profile. I love seeing stuff like that.

11. showrod

showrod

originally Bill started the speed shop in the basement of a three flat at 2840 N. kedzie ave in 1949 he moved to 3307 w. Irving Park rd.

I have seen an ad with that milwaukee address I think it is a misprint
    Cause no one knows anything about it.

12. 36ford

36ford

Just got a 1950 Soldier Field Auto Race Souvenir Program and found this advertisement for Bill Von Esser. Thought you'd like to see it.

Attached Files:

13. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

My father-in-law built the frame and suspension for the Bill Von Esser Von T His name was Max Reichenbach he also built many midget race cars.

14. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

I worked at Von Essers in Chicago in the 60's part time porting heads but remember very little, sorry.

15. racer8

racer8
    from Wisconsin

Just a few blocks down the street from Von Esser's was Ray Arikerson Speed Shop but if it did not come from Von Esser's it was no good.

16. showrod

showrod

Don i never new you worked there, how cool !!