Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Oh the HORROR !,... Crushing of the Chrysler Turbine Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Mar 3, 2013.

1. I too threw up in my mouth a little bit watching the Turbine bouncing off the end of a forklift.
    Terrifying to watch!

2. cw

cw
    from Midland

My father was the lead engineer on figuring out the transmission for the turbine car. econopoor has it correct. The bodies were by ghia and imported and fit to the powertrain and chassis in Detroit.
    Here's Dad on the shakedown trip out east.Dad was also the lead engineer on the torqueflite transmission.

Attached Files:

3. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

4. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Those cars didnt look all the big... from how the picts show.. the cars look to have been based off a Valiant Wheel base.. is the true?

5. Thank you for sharing!

VERY cool! :)

6. Krash Kadillak

Krash Kadillak

Neat vehicles, but I always thought a lot of the design elements were rip-offs of the '61-'63 Thunderbird.......

7. tbauer

tbauer

There was one at the Peterson museum a few years ago. Their fate is just another example of how well the supposed "car guys " in Detroit think

8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

come on guys, its a chrysler! thats what they do with them! lol i had to say it.

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

From the same people that brought you the "water buffalo"...:D

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

you lost me. Your avatar is a sixties era FED, and you say this??? What do think your avatar is, 383 chevy powered?

11. Truckedup

Truckedup

The Buffalo had it's admirers....not me...;) As a teenager I saw a Chrysler Turbine car running around Nutley NJ ....

12. earlymopar

earlymopar

"This is nothing imagine all the 32 Fords that have been crushed over the years"

Ha! Not really. Just think how many hundred thousand of those were built!

13. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

I remember years ago Car Craft magazine making a statement about how the vehicles they were given to modify for the articles in their rag were crushed after being returned to the factories... I do remember the 70 Hemi Cuda surviving however.

14. Smokey2

Smokey2

I saw one being driven on the street in Louisville Ky,
    Yes I knew what it waw, and Yes, It had a Great Sound.

If nine where destroyed, and there are several now in Collection ?...........How many were built.
    I was told, Chrysler put several in private hands, to be driven as everday transportation.
    I figured that was one of them I saw .

15. I never realized there were that many of them made. I thought there were only about a half a dozen. Were they all the same color?

16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

No. There's one in the Gilmore Car Museum just around the corner from me.

Brian

17. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I think it's called "Turbine Bronze"

18. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

I rode in one. My next door neighbor was a big wig at the west coast Mopar plant and he drove one home. His son and I were buddies so I got a ride. I am trying to remember any details but other than the big finned drive tube between the seats and it being noisy I'm at a loss. I think the fact that he made me nervous to ride in it had something to do with it.

This guy brought home all kinds of hot cars. He got transferred to Detroit in '68 right after he got my dad a a deal on a red Plymouth 383 4 speed for my sister. It figures I didn't get my DL until '69.

19. uncle Dave

uncle Dave

When I was a kid I lived in New York. My friends dad was a maintaince worker at the worlds fair at (you guessed it) the Chrysler exibit. My friend and I got to take a ride in one ! As I recall, they had some kind of tiny "track" that went around the building...5-10 mph!...sorry no pics..
    If im lie'n im die'n...........
    why do manufacturers do this...pretty nuckin futs!!!...u.d.

20. One of the only times the Brits have bested the Japanese, is with Wankel motorcycles.

Norton, Isle of Man, 1992, winner.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3iWgDdGlRw

Cosmo