Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Oh the HORROR !,... Crushing of the Chrysler Turbine Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

I think I'll be sick now.....................

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Saw one new at the New York Auto Show way back when. Wish I'd taken more of the free sales brochures. Bob

3. Why on earth would thay do that? Did they save the drivetrains or a couple of the cars or did everything go onto that great dog food can factory in the sky?

That's just wrong on so many levels.

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

Our old pal Bill posted this with this warning...

"
    Here is the infamous Chrysler Turbine snuff film. This is what happened to all but 9 of the fabulous Ghia coupes. Not for the weak or squeamish. Parental discretion advised"

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

They were experimental cars, think they were crushed for legal reasons. Google search will turn up more info. As I remember things everyone knew they would be crushed from day one. I think Jay Leno has one, maybe his website has more info. Bob

6. I remember seeing one of them at the local DeSoto dealership when I was a young man. As I remember they would run on practically any fuel, even perfume. I also remember that their fuel economy was not the greatest but that was when gasoline was 30 cents a gallon or less. It had a very unusual sound to it as the turbine wound up. I must be getting old or something.

7. Back then the turbine was just seen by Chrysler as a bad idea...which, really, it was.

I know this is O/T but have you ever heard the story of the Suzuki RE-5? Rotary engine motorcycle from the 70s. Design problems and production delays put the project years behind schedule, and then they didn't sell. The management at Suzuki was so pissed because they "lost face" in the industry that they ordered all the unsold bikes, parts, tooling, and the entire production line dumped into the sea of Japan...

8. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I saw one of the Chrysler turbine cars parked in front of Frederick's of Hollywood on Hollywood Blvd. in the fall of 1963. As I recall the turbine was running, the hood was open and there was a coin standing on edge atop the engine to demonstrate the smoothness of the turbine.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  9. BobMcD

BobMcD

I saw one at the old Harrah's car museum. I also heard that Jay had one. Up in the Nortwest there is a turbine powered 32 Ford. I heard it run at the LeMay open house several years ago.

10. uhhggggggggggg... no way to start a Sunday morning!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b2A5ijU3Ivs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. Fenders

Fenders

From the clip, looks like the turbines were taken out before the cars were desctroyed.

12. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Those were Pretty Cool Looking Cars.. its a shame there gone..

13. subdajj

subdajj

This is nothing imagine all the 32 Fords that have been crushed over the years

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I did get to sees one running and driving at the monster mopar show in St Louis a cupple years back.
    Guess if we had footage of all the cool stuff that has been crushed wait I dont even want to know.
    I just said I didnt want to know.

15. TubT

TubT
    from Texas

I wonder why they made the front look like the rear of a Thunderbird...

16. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

The designer was Elwood Engel, formerly of Ford and the designer of the similarly styled Thunderbird. These were dubbed Engelbirds because of the similarities.

17. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

There is one at the Gilmore Museum in MI. They have quite an impressive collection of vehicles from virtually every era, most of which are displayed in huge vintage barns. The lowest mileage Tucker is on display there also.

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

Not wanting to redirect my own thread,.... But if that bothers you, This should put "a real lump in your Depends"

1953 Battle Cry "DEATH TO ALL JALOPIES !!!"

I know this is an "A" coupe,.. but you get the idea :eek:

[​IMG]

19. zjerry

zjerry

I saw one at the Museum of Transportation in st.Louis Mo. Last year they
    started it up an ran it . It was awesome..

20. sylvian

sylvian
    Member Emeritus
    from Burbank

These cars have many interesting details that often go unseen. Here are some photos of some of those details that I took of one of the remaining cars:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Torchie

Torchie

One of the few Concept cars(For lack of a better term) that was actually driven and used by people on city streets.
    When I was growing up the father of my brother's best friend worked for Chrysler (Upper middle management) and drove one of these home for lunch. He took some of the neighborhood kids for a ride but not me as I was the youngest of the bunch plus I don't think that he liked me as I used to step on his lawn walking home from school :)

22. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

The turbine recuperator technology got put to use when Chrysler got the contract to build the M1 Abrams.

Attached Files:

23. Jay Leno's Chrysler turbine. HRP

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0GZKpvTiq20?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

24. johnod

johnod

You can see why it didn't sell.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHv_OAb1Gj8

25. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

last year Big A told me he was reading this book about those turbine cars :

Chrysler's Turbine Car by Steve Lehto

I've been meaning to check that book out, he said it was pretty interesting.

-W

26. hmmm
    proof that the deed was done unlike the GM cars where they were hidden away when they were dropped off for a simular fate

27. econopoor

econopoor
    from Jackson TN

Of the fifty imported from Ghia, Chrysler agreed to pay the tax and import duties on ten cars. They went to museums. The rest were crushed in agreement with the IRS to allow them to be imported from Italy for testing. That's what the film was for. To prove to the IRS that they were destroyed.

Maybe if Chrysler had paid the tax on the other 40, stashed them for a few decades, they could have sold them and kept themselfs out of bankruptcy.

Duane in Tennessee.

28. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

I was 17 and a caddie at Camargo Country Club in Indian Hill ( a wealthy suburb east of Cincinnati, Ohio) in the spring of 1965. We would wait across the street in the caddie shack until the caddie master sent us out. One sunday morning I cross the street to the first tee. Right behind the tee is the pro shop, and in front of the pro shop is a Chrysler Turbine Car, idling, with a guy unloading his bag. I had a few minutes to discreetly look it over. The driver wasn't part of our foursome, and I never saw the car again.

29. paintcan54

paintcan54

I remember them, I thouhgt that they was "The way auto makers of the time was going" so sad to see them crushed. The interior was cool, love the drive shaft tunel.

30. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

That is pretty cool technology for 1963. I'd like to think I possess a lot of general automotive knowledge, but I don't think I ever knew these cars existed... They were around about 9 years before me though..