Register now to get rid of these ads!

can any Seattle HAMB'ers lend a hand?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evobuilder, Mar 2, 2013.

1. evobuilder

evobuilder

So I bought a 27 coupe and its been sitting for a couple years.... I got the battery in and went to fire up... and am not getting fuel to the carb. Need some help troubleshooting.

It has gas.... the fuel filter is not clogged... it fires with carb cleaner/gas in sprayed directly in the carb..... so time to start troubleshooting.

I will buy the beer/lunch if anyone has some time to lend a hand doing some troubleshooting this weekend. Let me know, I'd really appreciate it.... thanks.

Eric (evobuilder)
    Seattle, WA (Fremont/Wallingford area)

2. SBC?

So I am assuming it's getting fuel to the filter? is it a clear filter inbetween the pump and carb? Can you actually verifiy that fuel is past the pump? If it is, after you crank for a bit, get out of the car, and look down the carb while pumping the throttle by hand. Does it squirt? If not, I'd bet a stuck needle and seat or float. Not uncommon on a carb that has evaporated some shitty gas out of it awhile back.

3. evobuilder

evobuilder

SBC Edelbrock 4BBL... and I pulled the filter off and both ends are dry. Keep in mind, I have not been able to get the motor to fire, so the mechanical pump has not started doing its job.
    I am wondering if its a bad fuel pump?

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Fill the float bowls throught the bowl vents with a squirt bottle. If it fires runs for a few minutes, then sucks the float bowls dry, and the inlet side of the filter is still dry, you can figure its downstream from there.

5. It could be. How long have you cranked it for? cranking in burst long enough should be enough to get fuel moving where it needs to. If it's not getting anything close. it probably needs a pump.

6. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

Five bucks says this is what's up

7. A.D.D.

A.D.D.
    from PacNW

With all due respect.....

Did you pull the fuel line off the fuel pump leading to the carb and try to crank? (fuel should shoot out).
    Also... if it's been sitting a couple years without Sta-bil or if she wasn't "pickled" before storage..... that old gas has to go. Try running fuel line from fuel pump into a plastic jug full of fresh gasoline.....pump should pull it up to the carb if it's good.

A mechanical fuel pump runs off the cam... as long as she's crankin', she should be pumpin'. If you have an old electric pump laying around (always good to have a small electric pump handy in your spares), bypass the mechanical pump.

Depending on the carb.... might be an internal filter between the fuel line and where it goes into the carb. Those get clogged.

Finally, carb might be mucked up from old nasty gas....combustable directly down the throat will fire even if the carb is toast.

Good luck!

8. evobuilder

evobuilder

ahhh.... I did not add fuel to the vents..... that could be the issue. I will start there in the morning. Then I will work back from there.
    Thanks for the advice, sometimes its the easy things that are forgotten.

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Start at the fuel pump, pull the gas line and see if is it getting gas on the inlet side? If you aren't getting gas to the pump, there might be an obstruction between the tank and pump. If it is getting gas, then check the output of the pump, if you aren't getting gas out, then the pump is your problem.

10. Destralo Roach

Destralo Roach

Ya got to remember this new gas only lasts about three months and then turns to chit, I have seen Green growth compleatly clogg the jets in carbs after three months of sitting during the winter!!

Roach.

11. J scow

J scow
    from Seattle

Probably fuel pump. P.m. me if you need help.

12. evobuilder

evobuilder

So I added fuel to the vents and that did not do the trick.... now I am going to take advice and work from the tank forward. Will see where I end up soon.

13. evobuilder

evobuilder

ok....
    new fuel in the tank
    fuel in the carb vents and it runs great.... then dies once dry
    I seem to be getting fuel to the pump, but totally dry after the pump..... so, the culprit must be the fuel pump.
    I am going to get with J scow and see if he is still willing to lend a hand.
    Eric

14. evobuilder

evobuilder

holy shit that was easy.... and it worked, the motor fired right up (with a little fuel in the bowl vents). Looks like I have a little leak from the carb and a little dripping from the new trans pan, but aside from that, no other leaks I can see and everything works. Not bad for a car that has been sitting since 2008. Will do a shakedown run tomorrow and see what issues appear.
    Thanks for all the advice.... and thanks to a dude on YouTube who gave the the idea to use a bent hacksaw blade to hold the rod "up" when installing the new pump, that tip worked like a charm!

15. desotot

desotot

so,,,what about the beer,,should we all still be coming over?

16. evobuilder

evobuilder

if you want to roll down from BC, the beer fridge is full and the Patron is in the hammer drawer :)