Register now to get rid of these ads!

12v distibutor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MonkeyWrenchKustoms, Mar 2, 2013.

1. MonkeyWrenchKustoms

MonkeyWrenchKustoms
    from Illinois

hey guys im looking to do a 12v swap on my 55' Hudson wasp and im trying to figure out if they make a 12v distributor for the Chrysler 3.3L anyone got any idea's?

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If they have a distributor it is 12V. What do you mean?

3. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Just put all the volts in, they'll fit.

4. MonkeyWrenchKustoms

MonkeyWrenchKustoms
    from Illinois

what I mean is if I swap everything to a 12v system wont I fry the points out of it pretty often? I have everthing else pretty well figured out but the ignition. I know the started will still work just have to put a 12v solenoid on it.

5. dt50chev

dt50chev

The distributor is just a switch. The points turn current on and off to the ignition coil. With double the voltage, the current is actually less so no damage to the points will occur. Just make sure to use a 12 volt coil and you will be okay. There are two different types, one for use with an external ballast resistor and one for use without a resistor.

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Monkey. The distributor doesn't care whether you feed it 6 or 12 volts. It takes whatever it gets, and just distributes it to the spark plugs. Just use the right coil.

7. MonkeyWrenchKustoms

MonkeyWrenchKustoms
    from Illinois

ok thanks guys makes that all clear I knew I have to get a 12v coil.. any recommendations on a good coil? Im trying to get her running and driveable by Torque Fest this year.

8. you can run 12v thru a 6v points dist.no problem.use a 12v coil and resistor.any 12v coil.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Not if you put a Chrysler 3.3L V6 in it. They were 12V. The part I am not sure of is if they are crank trigger or have a distributor. I think they are crank trigger.

Still not sure what you are driving at. It sounds like you are putting a Chrysler V6 from the 1990s in your Hudson and you want to change the car from 6V positive ground to 12V negative ground? Believe me, burning out points will be the least of your worries.

10. MonkeyWrenchKustoms

MonkeyWrenchKustoms
    from Illinois

its the original 202 engine. im nt sure what a crank trigger is. im pretty sure its a distributor cuz we cleaned the points on it to get it to run right.
    [​IMG]

11. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Uh ya, that crank trigger is by your left hand and down a tad.

12. MonkeyWrenchKustoms

MonkeyWrenchKustoms
    from Illinois

so what is the different between a crank trigger and a distributor?

13. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

About fifty years,give or take.

14. MonkeyWrenchKustoms

MonkeyWrenchKustoms
    from Illinois

lol ok so the 12v will still work on the crank trigger?

15. dt50chev

dt50chev

You have a distributor, not a crank trigger. Shinysideup is pulling your chain. Crank triggers are used on new cars with distributorless ignition systems.

Have a good one.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

You will need to add a ballast resistor shown above to reduce the voltage to the coil just to make the points last longer. Your distributor will work just fine on a 12V source once it is reduced with the ballast resistor. A ceramic ballast resistor mounted on the firewall is a classic sign of an old hot rod.
    [​IMG]

I mounted mine prominently because that is how we did it

17. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What in the name of Christ are you talking about? If you want to change a Hudson to 12V why don't you say so? Why are you dragging Chrysler minivans into this?

Who do you think we are, the Amazing Kreskin?

Listen. Do you know anybody with an IQ above freezing, who is not pissed drunk or on drugs, who speaks plain English, who can translate your hopeless babbling for us?

We're trying to help you but give us a chance.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

OK I have my Johnny Carson Karnak the Magnificent turban *sim sala bim*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRTtLvKAKgk

*Holding envelope to forehead*

The answer is.... Keep it 6V and don't mess with it... if something doesn't work fix it and maintain the car properly but don't try to change it to 12V

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

*Holds envelope to forehead*

The answer is... MonkeyWrenchKustoms questions, a sledge hammer and Jack Daniels

*Opens envelope*

"Name 3 things that can soften your brain".

20. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

YOU were the one who said it had a crank trigger and was a modern engine. :rolleyes:

21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

He's the one who said he had a 3.3L Chrysler engine.

If he said he wanted to change the car to 12 V I would have told him not to bother. Believe me, I have changed a few (before I wised up) and it's not worth it. Keep the car 6 volt, repair anything that isn't working right, and leave it at that. You don't need 12V with an easy to start flathead 6.

If 6V just bugs your ass and you want a 12V car because you want a 12V car, sell the Hudson and buy something that has a 12V system. While you are at it, get something with an OHV V8 and a few other modern conveniences. It will be easier, cheaper and better than trying to turn a 55 Hudson into something it isn't.

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

OK I apologize. I'm going too far here. Too much time on the net. Time to take a break. Later.

23. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

:D:p

24. I can understand having a little fun with the FNGs but geez guys! We know what he is trying to get to but he obviously doesn't know what questions to ask. We weren't all born knowing this stuff, ya know.

OP - Tommy (post #16) had the best answer. But Rusty had a very good point, I would leave it 6 volts unless you have a very good reason to switch to 12v.

25. MonkeyWrenchKustoms

MonkeyWrenchKustoms
    from Illinois

I said the part about the 3.3l because I read that that was the type of motor that was in it but obviously that was wrong. I want to switch to 12v for air ride, and a modern hidden cd player, and for brighter lights. but thank u guys for all the info im pretty sure ive got it figured out now.

26. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

just do what dt50Chevy said in #5.....it'll work just fine.

4TTRUK

27. Monkeywrench,
    Where did the the 3.3l reference come from? Plymouth/Dodge flathead sixes convert over to "ROUGHLY" that size. Were you wanting to know if one of those dizzy's would fit? Just because its a flathead six doesn't mean "any" or "all" flathead six parts will interchange. Good luck with your project.