Register now to get rid of these ads!

70 ranchero disc brakes for a 59 ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thechondro, Feb 28, 2013.

1. I want to add discs in front for my 59 ford. I was told that u can use parts from a 70 ranchero or a 70-71 mustang. Does this sound accurate? Never done anything like this before so I don't really know where to start.

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

On my 59 Ford Wagon, I used 1979 T-Bird spindles, calipers, rotors, etc........Best I remember, we milled the bottom ball joint boss so that the 59 ball joint would have enough "penetration" through the ball joint boss to allow the stock nut and washer to work, and the cotter pin hole to line up.
    I also took a 1/2 slice out of my upper A-frames, ( fore and aft direction), to allow for more alignment adjustment.
    Car is sitting now, but drove it 3 years that way, with great brakes!

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Why mess with spindles and stuff? Just hit up Scarebird here on the H.A.M.B. and go with his stuff. They use the stock hubs, sell you the brackets and give you a list of rotors, calipers and hoses to do the deal. I've used their stuff on two different cars now, and it ended up being far cheaper than going through the stock brakes on both.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Maybe not. My experience with scarebird was unpleasant and his parts did not fit properly.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I admit their instructions could use lots of work, but I have done two of my Falcons with their stuff and a '61 Caddilac and both have been spectacular. The one thing I would be leary of with OEM Ford spindles is changes in steering arm lengths, and ball joint angles that have occured over the years. I know when swapping Granada/ Maverick spindles into the Falcons a lot of folks have had bump streer and camber issues.

6. DFWSteveFoster

DFWSteveFoster
    from DFW, Texas

I had a 57 Ford that was on a 59 frame. I got the spindles off a 72 Ranchero and they bolted up to the stock a arms. There was a problem with camber, though. Even with all the shims out the tops of the tires leaned out slightly - not that you could see it but the alignment guy told me he couldn't get it perfect. The car drove fine and stopped well.

7. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Yup, on the camber deal........My Buddy spotted the problem whilst eyeballing the 2 different spindles side by side, hence the 1/2 slice out of the upper A arm.

8. What were you putting disc brakes on? Mark has always been great in the customer service area, this surprises me.:confused:

9. I had a friend at bobs tell me a couple years about scare bird.i might have to check them out. Definitely keeping the 79 t-bird in mind as an alternative. Trying my best to avoid cutting anything. But, keeping in mind all the good advice. Thanks guys! Definitely helped.