Register now to get rid of these ads!

De-stressing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by salf100, Mar 1, 2013.

1. salf100

salf100

So this has been talked about before and I'm sure most if not all will agree.

Over the last few weeks, work has gone through some major changes with new management and its been real stressful for a lot of us doing the grunt work. I don't mind change but only if its for the better. Last night as I was clocking out, I was venting to my wife about all the BS going on and she like always reassures me that it will work out. Well I was really heated.

I get into my truck and head down the road muttering to myself about the mess going on. Two stop lights later I find myself in complete peace and without a stressful thought. I just then realized that its because of my truck that I found that de-stressing factor to ease my mind. Just me and my truck. Shifting through the gears, the squeaks, smells, Y block revving and just cruising home alone. By the time I got home (15min) I was totally at peace and work wasn't a care any more. I love my old truck. I guess a form of personal therapy ;)

Just thought I'd share.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

2. TERPU

TERPU

Yep, Throttle Therapy.

and for what it's worth, it's work. Family, Friends, and Peace of mind way higher on the list. Don't sweat the Executives, after all they have alot more stress about keeping you all happy and then the guys above them happy. Be glad you can leave yours at the office at quitting time. That alone is worth a smile everyday.

Tim

3. Coyote13

Coyote13
    from Dallas, TX

Man I've barely made it out the door before I've already forgotten about all the stress and BS of work. Even quicker if I can see my truck in the lot from the building!

4. I have always felt that having a hot rod that is up and running can help keep my sanity,,having a project is also a great stress control. HRP

5. Yep, I always keep an old beat up truck around just to go beat around in when I need to escape.

Pay attention to what terpu has to say, he has his head screwed on real well, and use whatever mode of mechanical therapy is necessary to keep that shit out of your house.

6. salf100

salf100

Both good points. I typically don't sweat the small stuff but yesterday it just got the best of me.

7. Cerberus

Cerberus

Yes Siree! When you become one with your classic going down the road, you leave everything behind you. Great therapy.

8. In my life time I have told more than one super that my ass was not where he belonged. I have only been fired from one job and that was because instead of telling the super that he should go climb someone else's ass I flung a hammer at him.

If you have to dump on the missus it is time to take it to the source. You may try being more polite than I am, rude crude and socially unacceptabe does not work for most people.

9. specialk

specialk

Same subject, different cure.

Our Senior VP asked me quite a few years ago why I rode my m'cycle every day, rain or shine, when I could clearly afford to own and drive a nice car or truck. I told him the answer was simple. Every day, within 10 minutes of leaving the office, I knew I would have a smile on my face.

He thought that was a pretty good reason ;)

10. Agreed,If there is one person that doesn't need the fallout from your bad day it's your wife.

She's got your back. HRP

11. Cerberus

Cerberus

So true. I commuted 45 miles each way, for five years, on my Harley. Racked up 75,000 miles doing it. Sometimes I'd get home and pour the rain out of my boots. The ride relieved the daily stress.

12. it is great that you found a way to de-stress.
    things...priorities...change...and get put into perspective...
    9/11
    sandy hook
    wars in the desert
    hurricanes
    floods

13. xlr8er

xlr8er

It's the same way with cars or bikes. I've heard an old saying that goes "You never see a bike in front of a psychologists office". I've never seen a hot rod in front of one either.

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely. More often than not over the years, my daily drivers have been oldies. And I think that's partly why my stress level has been higher lately...no project or car to drive...no outlet.

God, I need to get back to it as soon as I can.

Best wishes to you, salf100.

16. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Fantastic quote! :D

I agree 100% as well.

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Guys, I hate to brag,,,,,,,,,,,,but,
    I love my job.
    The biggest stress I have is driving a 36K forklift with 17 MILLION DOLLARS worth of machine on it and they want it turned to the right 1/32 of an inch. Sometimes I have to put a trailer in an impossible position but I love the challenge and somehow make it work. The diversity BS and all the silly corpo classes give me a twitch but its all part of the game. I have two Vastly Imperial Superiors that dont even know I'm here and they like that alot. Most of the guys I work with have bikes or hot rods and quarter milers. Even the software guys are mostly human.
    End-o-day, I go home to a beautiful wife and 5 dogs that are glad to see me too. A garage full of crap that I like and a house full of comfort.
    Man, I cant even count all of my Blessings.
    It could all go south in a heartbeat and be all gone materially, but even thats OK.

18. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Good old Ford, good dog, good woman. To hell with the rest...
    Having a job you like and a HAMB worthy "garage full of crap" is a great bonus...you get to decide whether you want to enjoy 2013 or 1952. And study ways to to replicate the $17,000,000 machine with 2 1939 Ford solenoids and a Model A transmission, just to keep your hot rod mind sharp!

19. TERPU

TERPU

Thanks Beaner, Life's only as crazy as you let it be that's for sure.

Tim

20. roughneck424

roughneck424

Yep, Drive the truck before you vent to the wife :)

21. salf100

salf100

Thanks for all the replies fellas. As far as my wife goes, she's my rock and the back bone of are family. She also works in the same field I do so she understands. I think I'll go home now and drive my truck!

22. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

being a self employed furniture maker get you lot of stress. But relief is about 100 feet from my house The Metal Health building. Nothing like working on a project to fix the worker.

23. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My wife gets to hear the highlights of my day every evening over supper. As I get to hear about her day with the kids. Some days are better than others, but we stand behind each other.

BUT there is nothing like going out and getting a good V8 fix to take my mind off of everything!

Devin

24. OfficerBimbo

OfficerBimbo

Nothing cools me out more than driving my 57 down a quiet road. This is the best stress buster that I know.

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have heard that operating a motorcycle is 90 percent mental, one percent physical.
    I think the same is true for driving a hot rod. It crowds everything else out of your mind.

26. This is hanging over the door as you enter my shop,it came from Patrick Harris Mental Health Hospital when the were updating all their signs to include braille. HRP

[​IMG]

27. I like that HRP! This was one of the first things I hung up when I finished my shop!

Attached Files:

28. I have one of those also.:D HRP

29. pdq67

pdq67

I worked at APGreen Refractories Co. in Mexico, MO for like 18.5 years.

On a sideway's down-size move, I got the "old song and dance" that I would get my boss's position, salary, and co. car in Southbend, IN but it never happened after the move!

Anyway, they down-sized and later I brought the SB office back to Mexico and 22 month's later working out of the back of the gunning truck by myself, I was called in and told that I had a new boss that I had to train.

I told the Ex-VP when he told me this crap that I had been lied to with damn near tears in my eyes and boy did he get HOT, BUT he never said a word because he knew that it was true!! (And over the time, when I had a word to say, I could knock on his door and he f** listened to me!!)

Come Monday morning with me with three little one's to feed, my new boss said, "Let's go out to the gunning truck so you can show me what's in it!!" and I didn't have the ball's to give him the F** key's and say, "You figure out what I know and have been doing!"... F*** you....

I trained Jack Phillips the best I could and he ended up being the best boss I had back then.

I gave APGreen what they paid for me to do and when I wanted to do something different Jack fired me.

It took me like 4.5 years to get over the hatered that I had for Greens. One day, I went over to the gunning shed and talked to Joey and Larry, and Jack came in. I stuck my hand out and said, "Is it OK if I'm here??", and Jack looked at me and stuck his hand out and said sure, let's go in my office and you can tell me want's been going on with you.
    The hatred that I had left me and shortly later i got a job with the APCP, here in MO.

He, He!! You wanna get back at them, then do your job so F** good that the company can't back out of servicing their customers!!! Which I DID!!!

pdq67