Register now to get rid of these ads!

Exploring Arizona- abandoned, wrecked cars & trucks, old hiways, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Applekrate,, if ya come the Show Low, Salt River Canyon route to Phnx, as you leave Globe you will pass thru "The Top of The World" area,,, on the right you will see a red, windowed train car,, this is "Sidewinders" the dood is into Chevy V-8 two wheel motorcycles,,, but he has alot of local knowledge,,,, check it out,,, it is a beautiful spot !!

2. OK, thanks for the info. I see you are in Mammoth? I drove through there Wednesday on a joy ride in my old GTO.

3. mopacltd

mopacltd

So the April dates shown are not accurate?

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Your kidding, right? I didn't know he was the source of those bikes! I've actually stopped off and talked to him a time or two but never saw the bikes around.

By the way, I dig Mammoth! Cool old town.

5. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

used to be a lot of old cars scattered across northern arizona back in the mid seventies when i first moved here. now...maybe one percent of that treasure remains.

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

happened everywhere---i kick my but for not gathering more when they were available...

7. RayMiller

RayMiller

We were thru there last Sunday on our way to Hayden and winkleman.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. mopacltd

mopacltd

Sounds like there just may be another trip this Saturday to the mines.

9. yup!

Here we are walking on a ledge that was cut out on a steep cliff face to create some mine openings. A few of us opted not to go this way and waited it out for the rest of us. There was no sign that anyone had been here for a long time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. Here are a series of pics taken last Wednesday when we had some winter weather that came down very low in elevations.
    This is the hiway south of Florence!

[​IMG]

11. hellerods

hellerods

snow covered catus, right up your alley Steve!!

12. he he hi Lee, how are ya'!

Here is where I stopped going south and turned to go northeast ( somewhat ). Did not check this place out but, any Pontiac fan would love to live in a place called "Catalina"! hmmm, maybe I should get a PO box here?

[​IMG]

The next town to go through on this hiway is Mammoth...

This shot is looking northward with lots of snow in the distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I saw this old stone building while going through Mammoth. does anyone here know anything about it of interest?

[​IMG]

next stop- Dudleyville

13. The old stone
    Jail". Used to be..... also one of the Camacho boys, don't know for sure if it was Hector, used to use the old jail building for his get away work out place. I've been here in Mammoth for 20 years and still am finding interesting things aroumd here. Next time any of you come thru here,,, give me a shout, I'm in the phone book, Christy M. Crow. Your all welcome anytime ! Crow. LFFL

14. Here I am pausing for a quick stop on an Arizona 2 lane hauling a '64 Catalina coupe I bought from Hellerods not far from the Ca coast. I towed this sweetie close to 600 miles to my new place in eastern Arizona last November.

[​IMG]

It is always an adventure for me along the highways.

15. Thanks for the invite if heading through Mammoth.

Now, on to Dudleyville. This little town/community turned out to have the most interesting things, car wise.

[​IMG]

Here, I spotted a '65 Plymouth coupe just begging to be turned into an altered wheelbase funny car!

[​IMG]

After I took this photo, a guy in a truck chased me down, wanted to talk to me. He told me it belonged to his brother but, he had a 74 camino for sale.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ha Steve! Your documneting the trip I started writing about at about post number 23 or so of this thread! One of my favorite drives in AZ. When ya get to Winkleman, be sure to go down to the old main street and cross the old bridge over the Gila river.

17. I love the picture off the Poncho's, I'm not the only one that tows cars with cars it seems lol. :D

18. OK, have Winkleman pics coming.

Back to Dudleyville. This place seemed to have the most car stuff around. This stuff was just sitting in a corner lot along the road, just like in the 'old' days.

[​IMG]

There was at least one car guy home/place. It was pretty covered up with fencing but, you could tell it was a hot rodder of some capacity.

[​IMG]

There may be some old car stuff in here, not sure. This red truck with the ph# is at the same place as the fenced yard in the prior pic.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  19. Here is a picture I would like to inquire about. This is an overpass about a half dozen miles south of Mammoth. At first it appeared to be an old hiway. You can see many cuts made in the terrain for a smoother roadway.The, I realized it is probably an old, abandoned rail line. Does anyone know?

[​IMG]

Looking at old Az hiway maps from the 1920s and 1930s did not show anything.

20. Heo2

Heo2

HAH You cal that winter i cal it a god damn
    nice summer day:D:D
    I got 40 inch of that white fluff now

21. Ouch, your filthy mouth hurts my ears....

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Heo2;
    Come here in the summer and we'll give you a preview of where that kind of language will get you.
    Not really, just givin ya a hard time.
    You'll only think youre there. Here, we call that winter BIG TIME.

23. phat rat

phat rat

Last Feb. I drove down from Sedona to hike with these guys. I would do again in a heartbeat. It was a blast. Pics and reports of that trip start back on post 292 and run through 340. Have you thought of renting a room for one night?

24. Yeah, I remember that trip about a year back. I think that was the first time we entered a mine. That was a great time and we are glad you joined us. You know you are always welcome to join us again sometime. :)

25. phat rat

phat rat

Steve, the next time I'm out there I will be contacting you to find out if you have a hike scheduled. Possibly next year. I'm recovering from having triple-bypass surgery last Tues. so will be in better shape then. I'll certainly be sure to have a good light along for those mine explorations

26. schulzcep

schulzcep
    from Arizona

I am interested in doing some scavenger hunting for parts, so if anyone is planning a trip please let me know. I found my baby on a hunting trip, salvaged her and now starting my build with my son (26-27 Model T Coupe).

27. OK, Winkleman here we come...

This is the view going into the Winlkeman/Hayden area from the south looking northward.

[​IMG]

28. Sadly, Winkleman is pretty run down.

[​IMG]

I only saw a few nice homes. There are many empty run down commercial buildings. There may be some nicer areas but, I did not see any.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did not see much in old cars either though I did not look thoroughly.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  29. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Gotta thank obama for that!

30. The town next door is Hayden-

[​IMG]