Register now to get rid of these ads!

T Bucket Questions & Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CoronetRTguy, Feb 24, 2013.

1. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Hey everyone,

I'm still in search for my next project. I know it wont be until late summer. I have found a lot of great cars but no cash to buy them just yet.

My questions are on T Buckets. I have always loved them and think they make great looking rods. I don't see a lot of them at car shows around here.

I got Rod & Custom last month and the issue was all about the T Buckets. I think it was speaking to me. I went in search of videos and pictures and kits.

I found these T's that I really love and they have the perfect stance. I also like that they are using bomber seats so it doesn't have that sitting up high look.

First video is the one I love the most -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVcr7iaIk-0&list=WLF90528C072D23515

The second one is really cool old school looking as well and I like the theam -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3p4eRU0I8o&list=WLF90528C072D23515

The last one I really love as well -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES0_hWFAyPw&list=WLF90528C072D23515

I think what I really like about these three is how they seat low and how low you set inside the body.

Tell me was this done but having it channeled and using the bomber seats?

Also what steering colum did they use? I noticed it doesn't come up through the floor and I like that it doesn't.

I also don't want to use a small steering wheel so how big and what brands of wheels can I use?

My next question are-

Does anyone make a steal body?

Does anyone make a T Bucket that is stretched a little more? I'm not that tall of a guy at 5' 10" but I also dont like to be cramped to much with leg room.

Does anyone have frame specs? I think I could have this part of the project made locally.

Does anyone has specs on T bucket bodies? I might also be able to have a metal one made locally.

What companies should I be looking at for the body, parts and over all build? I know my first video is of one of the bigger companies of T buckets.

I like traditional steel wheels, where should I look for those? I kine of like skinny wheels on front and back. I think the back wheels are taller than the front? Is that correct?

Ok with all that above said if I have to go with a fiber glass body who should I go with and tell me what one?

Well I will take any and all help you can give me guys. I would like to stay with traditional as I can. I might also use a Mopar motor and a four or six speed transmission. I'm a Mopar guy and I feel like I need to drop a Mopar motor in what ever I build lol.

Thanks everyone for any and all help you can give me.

PS is there any good books I should be reading about T's and building T's?

2. Lurk king

Lurk king

3. I cant really answer your questions, but I loved the t bucket I used to have. What I didnt like about it was the top of the seat was almost as high as the top of the body, felt like you were siting on it not in it. You would be smart to go with the bomber seat or a custom seat that would put you in down in the car not on it.

4. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Spirit Cars in Mountain Home, Ark. makes a stretched T bucket. Good folks to deal with. You can get just a body or a turn key, if that is your cup of T. sorry about that..

5. tjm73

tjm73

Look for the T body made by Kenny's Rod & Customs out of Ohio. Hands down the best fiberglass T body I've ever seen. Full floor. Stretched & widened. Proportions are good too. It's a quality piece. I may buy one this spring. They don't have a website, but they have an ebay store. Price is pretty fair for what you get.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  6. rockfish

rockfish

I'm sure others will be better able to recommend some books on T Buckets. Based on your comments about not having the cash right now for a project I'm going to assume that you are looking to do a build on as small a budget as possible. I think that's great. A lot can be done on a tight budget. For this reason I would recommend going with a fiberglass body and building your own simple frame from box tubing. If you're not a master at welding consider buying a prefabbed T frame or tack your own frame together and have a pro do the final welding.
    Some will call it boring but a SBC and T350 motor/tranny is also an affordable way to go. If you have the fabrication ability for the linkage and a few more bucks go with a manual tranny. Saginaws are strong enough and plenty affordable. Let the swap meets, Craigslist ang the classifieds right here be your friend. Glass T bodies show up on Craigslist more than you would think.
    Best of luck on your project whatever direction you choose. Good move to start the planning now.

7. blyndgesser

blyndgesser
    from Georgia

Stretched bodies are available from Spirit Industries, Ron Pope Motorsports, and California Custom Roadsters, and probably a few other manufacturers as well. You'll find lots of build threads and lots of inspiration at www.tbucketeers.com.

8. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks everyone and yeah right now on a very tight budget. I will search craigslist adds and see what I come up with and if anything shows up.

My dad is a great welder thats all he did all of his life was body work and welding. I could just rent a welder for the day or so that I will need it. I just don't know the specs for the frame.

I want to build and do the whole car myself except for the motor and trans work I will leave that to someone who knows what they are doing.

I thought about the Chevy motor since I can find a 350 and trans all over town but I'm such a Mopar guy I would love to have a Mopar motor. I should have kept my 440 and 727 from a 74 Chrysler. I'm sure I could get it back for $500 bucks.

I would love to find a 392 Hemi. I have found a few old Mopars in the area and one had a Red Ram Hemi. If I could get that car I would take the motor out and use it for the T bucket and put a big block in the 55 Chrysler.

I'm just in the planning stages and research of the T bucket and once I get the cash I will be moving forward with it or another car. I think a T bucket is what I really want it would be so different showing up at the local shows.

The bomber seats is what I will go with since it does set me down in lower in the body. I might hand fab something up but I like the bomber seats.

If I could get a stretched body I might add seat tracks to move the seat back and forth.

I just have a lot of things to look at and read up on and learn and go from there. I even thought of making a custom top for it and using the moldings down along the sides of the upper doors.

Keep the info coming guys and thanks.

9. lht

lht

t-buckets are cool had one but they do have drawbacks cold rain bugs deere etc.

10. wsdad

wsdad

These should keep you busy for a while...

National T-Bucket Alliance's local club directory:
    http://nationaltbucketalliance.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=3
    I would recommend you go to a club meeting or two and see if you want to join. Most of the guys are very friendly and love to tell you all about their t-buckets. They may even give you a ride.

THE home of T-Bucket Builders (and those with an interest in them)
    http://bucketbuilder.bb3host.com/index.php

Tbuckets Forum
    <!-- google_ad_section_start -->The high power to weight ratio hot rod called the T Bucket
    http://tbuckets.lefora.com/

My personally favorite T-bucket site:
    http://www.tbucketeers.com/

Buckethead Bash Forums
    http://forums.bucketheadbash.com/index.php

Just pictures of t-buckets, but lots of them:
    http://tbucket.com/

T-bucket plans
    http://www.tbucketplans.com/

Free t-bucket plans:
    http://www.tbucketplans.com/the-youngster-free-t-bucket-frame-plans/

On this site (the HAMB) search for, "model t roadster" and you'll find quite a lot. We like the traditional-hot-rod-pre-70's versions.

There are 10's of thousands of people on the HAMB. A few of them are small and will make fun of you to look big. Many, many more will answer sincere questions and help you out any way they can. Sometimes you have to have some pretty thick skin, though.

Enjoy!

11. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thank you and WOW that is a lot of info that I will be saving and looking over and joining sites. I hope I get my class work done and not reading about T buckets...oh who am I kidding I wrather read about cars!

I dont mind the being made fun of I've been down that road of having a car to nice to drive, to nice to enjoy fully and a car that most thought I was crazy for restoring to begin with.

The T bucket just seems like a good choice on a budget and could be a fun ride and I just might get a feel for what it was like back in the day.

The only thing modern I would do to the car is the breaks, steering and maybe the trans but other then that I would want it to look like it would have back in the time period.

I told myself that no matter what car I buy, build or whatever I will be enjoying it. I had a stroke a few years ago at the age of 29 and sold a car that I would have enjoyed a little and worried about a lot now I want a fun car and enjoy and not fuss over if it has road chips in the paint.

Thanks again for the those links and keep the info coming guys I'm here to learn as much as I can and I really would like to build a traditional hot rod.

Oh and the color I'm thinking is Black frame, body, wheels and red interior.

12. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Yeah I've seen a guy here that has a T bucket caught in the rain at a show. He had no top but had windshield wippers lol I just shook my head and thought man I bet he is enjoying that car. The guy did have a smile on his face as he was driving.

My thoughts on the car is cruise inns, some local around the city driving and just enjoying it.

What I miss the most is the feeling of the car shows, the friends that feel like family. I also miss the real car clubs not ones you join and pay money to each month for a news letter and if you ask for help with a project all you hear is no.

13. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

My bucket is down for it's third re-do since the mid seventies. When I drive it, I drive it, from April to November in Michigan weather. Red Baron scarf, leather insulated jacket, gloves on me, WD 40 and rain ponchos under the seat. Been wet a few times, just head for an overpass/bridge and wait, along with the bikers. Mjcky T Sportsmans throw so much water against the back side of the windshield and drown my legs, have drownded the engine, froze/frosted up the carb base. Been hit by a Goose, lots of fresh air. All part of the fun.
    Lately my biggest concern is all the young bitches texting while driving and trying to run over my vehicle.:D

14. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Hahaha I love that man you are a true Hot Rodder! It gets cold up your way too. I don't think im that die hard but man you have given me something to inspire to.

Yeah no matter what I build next even if it went to show car status I'm going to drive it.

I did find a 56 Chevy 210 two door car in my area wish I had the money for it has been up for sale for a little while now. He is asking 3500 needs rust repair but frame is solid. I would love it it is one of the only Chevy's I really love.

The T bucket would be a fun car and would be a rocket on wheels if I built a motor up.

Tell me something guys, is a door that big of a deal on a T bucket? I like the idea of having one but not sure if I do the low stance if it will be a big deal.

15. Mine didnt have a door. No problem ,step on the back tire and step in.

16. ctown garage

ctown garage

i have a 26 t steel body with a bed and a frame for $1500 and also have a fiberglass body for $300 without a fram but i can build one in a day let me know if you interested

17. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I need to look up a youtube video and see if they show how to do that lol.

18. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

That is tempting. Is the metal body and original body? What kind of shape is it in?

Who is the fiberglass body by?

I'm still saving some cash up and doing home work before I make any move yet.

19. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I just got a pm from a member here about a frame and I'm waiting to see if I can get some pics. So it might be something I can pick the frame up and wait and then start my build.

I also saw a stretched glass body from RPM for 600 or so and that is not to bad of a deal. I wish I had more cash to play with right now. I think I should have saved my car money on a car and not school lol but it will all work out.

What should I look for in a frame, like any kind of problems?

I think this frame was a kit frame that had been welded up already. The member is not building a T bucket and saw that I was and sent a messege.

I will keep you guys posted and will look for a touring body as well. Who knows maybe with my luck something will show up in my budget.

I could almost swing the motor or motors right now and I'm still thinking on those.

I need a rear end as well and I found an 8 3/4 Mopar rear and a few Jeep and I think Ford Dana rears. I'm not sure if a truck rear would work or not.
    • [​IMG]

20. Mikes27T

Mikes27T

21. I didn't read all the above, but you may be happier with a '26-'27 T than a bucket, which are usually semi-replicas of the smaller '23 Ts.

22. I love my t-bucket, even without a door!

If you are trying to do this on the cheap, you can usually find someone who has a stalled project that they want out of. I have seen plenty of good frame and body combos selling for less than the purchase price of brand new components. I finally had to quit looking, because I almost pulled the trigger on a couple of smokin' deals!

23. Koob

Koob
    from Bryan, TX

Don't mess with a door, it weakens the fiberglass body. I did it on one of my builds. Stay away from a manual transmission, there is barely enough room for brake and gas pedal. Buy you one of those from RPM and a pre-fab frame and do the rest yourself. Stick with a 350 chevy and 350 trans. since it is easily set up and parts are abundant. Look for a frame built to CCR specs. Bomber seats are fine but very uncomfortable on a road trip. Good luck.

24. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

I've heard said "think of them as an motorcycle that don't fall over.

Back when I only had a motorcycle to ride to work, there were good days and bad days. But, damn them good days were great!

25. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Thanks everyone and I have also been looking at the roadster bodies and do like those a lot as far as looks go.

Keep the info coming guys I'm learning a lot.