Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 f100 front drum removal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onegalonly, Feb 26, 2013.

1. onegalonly

onegalonly

i have a '54 f100 setup that i bought and would like to replace the drums on them but i can't seem to get the drum off the hub... what am i doing wrong? are they pressed on?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

The studs are upset [swedged] at the drum face to retain the drum to hub. a 5/8ths hole saw without the pilot bit will do the job to remove the swedged area ,don't need to cut more than about .080 deep to remove the swedged area.

3. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Did you undo the adjuster?

4. lht

lht

sometimes even with adjusters backed off the shoes are worn bad grooved into drum you have too cut pins off the back of backing plate that hold shoes on

5. Most of the time the drums are just rusted on, heat the inner edge of the drum where it registers on the center of the hub, get the edge red hot and work your way around until it has all been heated once (you do not have to get the entire edge red hot at the same time), then slam the drum on the floor, most of the time the hub will drop free. Once in while you may have to heat it again. I have never had any that would not come apart.

Also F-1/F-100 studs are serrated and pressed in the hub, they are not swedged over the drum.

6. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

Can you pull the bearings and then work on it off the axle?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. onegalonly

onegalonly

I'll use the heating method later on this week and let ya 's know how I made out. Thanks for the responses

8. onegalonly

onegalonly

how easy was that!!! i heated it up and it dropped right out.. thanks