Register now to get rid of these ads!

Big Six Flathead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brian Albin, Jan 20, 2008.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gary, I agree. Hey, serious question (though it's ALSO probably been addressed elsewhere):

As far as the average Joe (who, let's say could only manage the cost of a split intake and Fenton headers), what realistic horsepower could be made out of the Chrysler 265?

Sure, lots of people have gotten exotic and gotten amazing hp & torque from flat sixes, but I just mean Joe Average. Thanks for giving this some brain power, buddy.

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Ran across a "K" series Dodge truck. 2 1/2 ton flat bed used for farm hauling. bought new in 54 by the fellow's father. He said he learned to drive on it, but said of all the trucks on the farm, it was the dog. And as the youngest kid he had to drive it as the older brothers grabbed the other trucks. I would imaging that its doggieness is probably related to gearing rather than the engine, so for a "speed application" a slow turning engine pulling a low numeric gear and tall tires. I would imagine that you would need to keep it at around 3000 rpm to keep it alive. Compression and breathing would need improvement.

Attached Files:

3. 73RR

73RR

These big sixers have huge strokes so horsepower is not your goal, you will build the drivetrain around the massive torque and a redline of less than 4000, kinda like a diesel.
    Sorry, no hot-rod numbers to throw around. The oem torque could probably be improved but if 'too much' is attempted then the peak torque rpm gets too high and you have alot of iron flying around at some uncomfortable speed...

http://dodge-semis.com/Brochures/OZ_1955Fargo/pg02.html

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

those big truck 6 s are pretty cool i liked the photos

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Dodge and plymouth cars are 23.5 Chrysler and desoto are 25 inch, All canadian manufactured cars used 25 in regardless of displacement. The HD Dodge Truck engines are 33 (maybe 35) inches long

The stroke on the big 6's is 5 inches and over.

Also a repair concern was a tendency to twist the drive flange of the end of the crankshaft.

A home modified 265 might get you 150/160 HP with dual intake dual exhaust and miled head and deck, the torque however might be above 250 lb ft.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gary, your comments REALLY answered the gist of my questions. SURE don't want your foot taken off by scrapnel!

BUT, can the 265 make, say, 250-265 hp relatively safely?

7. 73RR

73RR

Perhaps in a parallel universe...

8. austinsailor

austinsailor

9. R Pope

R Pope

There was a semi around here that hauled farm fuel that had a 413 six in it, 4 and 4 transmissions, single axle. Tremendous torque for the day.

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

LOL! Gary, you ANSWERED the Q. So, anyway, I was guessing 165-170 at best. Closer?

11. 73RR

73RR

Dependable at that rating.

12. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------------------------------
    Hmmm??? Forget the 413 Mopar 6! Just get the original rocket motor up and running again, attach a couple axles, four wheels and a cockpit to the fuselage, paint the word "ACME" and a Bonneville competition number on the side, add some fuel and go out and do ol' Wile E. Coyote proud!!!!:D:D:D

Mart
    ================================

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  13. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The "Bottle Rocket" project got side tracked. The limit for vintage engines from SCTA is 375 ci. In the real world it would run in BGL where the record is around 300 mph. The tires to run there would cost around $3,000. To pass tech would cause me to be homeless. We'll find something to do wit it, maybe a wood chipper or a snow blower. Wile E. Coyote would still like it.

brEad likes this.
  14. the only one i know of is a 413 6 in a dodge truck is at the gold king mine and ghost town in jerome az.. old don would love to tell ya about it...

15. plym man

plym man

There is a 413 flathead six in a Dodge truck at the mining museum in Jerome AZ. Its also dual carb.

16. 73RR

73RR

....doesn't anyone look at the posting dates???:cool:

17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My 413 has mining history too. It came from a Dodge truck that was converted to run a ball mill ore crusher on the Comstock Lode near Virginia City, Nevada.

18. subdajj

subdajj

Try the search function. I sure somebody has posted info on the dates of posts

brEad likes this.
  19. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

What does it matter to you? Sit on it...

Six Ball and Ric Dean like this.
  20. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

How about a Studebaker chassis speedster with a Big Six Dodge truck engine?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  21. 73RR

73RR

who pissed in your cherrios?

The thread was dead and, once again, a newbie drags an oldy out of the archives. Just how hard is it to look at the last date and understand what it means. The newb had nothing 'new' to contribute to the original post other than rack up a post count, kinda like you bro.

22. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Just went through this old thread and found that my picture links no longer worked. I fixed them I think.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and Ric Dean like this.