Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see Modified oil baths air cleaners...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by historynw, Feb 20, 2013.

1. historynw

historynw

Has anyone modified an older oil bath for a newer engine....I'm not likiing billet and wanted something older to fill the gap between the hood and the carb. I have a SBC in the car. I found WIX makes an industrial air filter that will work.

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I was going to put a SBC in a 53 Lincoln, for my GF's grandson, so I tried to make the Chevy look as natural in it's environment as possible (as opposed to building a "phony" engine) The Linc valve covers just slipped over the Chevy ones, and I picked up this old oil bath filter off Ebay, pretty sure it's and old Ford one, but I really have no idea what it's off. Looked good in the engine compartment, though!
    Wound up relocating the engine into my F1 pickup later, and yes, I changed the green top to Candy Bandywine to match the firewall, at a later point!

Attached Files:

3. jimbousman

jimbousman

Here's my pumpkin oil bath conversion.

Attached Files:

4. historynw

historynw

Nice like the Buick valve covers...we pretty much did the same think with the oil bath..biggest pain was getting the screen section out.

5. FIDDLER

FIDDLER
    from VIRGINIA

I took a stock sbc air cleaner, and cut off the outside edge of the top cover off until it just cleared the airfilter,then blocked off the hole where the snorkle went put the top back on with the hold down nut, with a longer bolt then took the top of an old olds,or caddy type air cleaner it sat right down on top of the sbc air cleaner installed another nut to hold it down.. Had the best of two worlds good air cleaner with a sexy top

6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Here's one...

Attached Files:

7. Framewelder

Framewelder

Here's one for my roadster

Attached Files:

8. historynw

historynw

Nice I like the look better than bat wings...i'll have to get Bonz back on mine with finish tacking.

Framewelder what yours off of?

9. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

sure did, got one off a 53 ford , pulled it apart , machined a rider out of aluminum for the bottom half to sit on the carb , tig welded in the center of a modern air cleaner to the top half that pressed into the piece i machined , drilled holes in base and inside of upper half to pull air , nachined an aluminum top hat to go in the lid and center the filter which is an industrial one i got at an arnold motor supply ! looks pretty good i think

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  10. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Here's one I made up for a Rochester 2bbl.

Attached Files:

11. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Mine was pretty easy, just set my top down over a late model paper filter base. Either stack two filters together or use the tall truck filter from the early 80s

[​IMG]

12. raymay

raymay

I have done several types of air cleaners. Two of them were old oil bath ones. I usually modify the bases using parts from a newer air cleaner.
    On a 37 Chevy pickup I welded exhaust tips to each side for additional air intake which worked very well.
    On my 56 Chevy I stayed with a more traditional oil bath look and welded the Chevrolet script from an old small block valve cover into the base.
    One thing I learned even after cleaning the old oil bath. Don't use a plasma cutter to trim it out. All is well but some of my buddies got a good chuckle when I was doing it.

Attached Files:

• 33.JPG
      33.JPG
      File size:
      121.6 KB
      Views:
    • 17.JPG
      17.JPG
      File size:
      230.6 KB
      Views:
  13. historynw

historynw

Thanks guys I like them all.

14. Framewelder

Framewelder

67 vw!!!

15. 3030

Just gut it out like the other ones above, smooth it up inside ,go to the parts store find a filter that fits. shazam

Attached Files:

16. 48bill

48bill

Again, pretty simple. Used an aftermarket base and the top of a Caddy oil bath air cleaner with a NAPA 3" filter.. Eliminated the oil bath base section.

Attached Files: