Register now to get rid of these ads!

hearing protection; unwanted advice for the younger set...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I'm old and pretty much deaf. Drag racing, Vietnam, you name it.

KIDS -----WEAR YOUR GODAMN EAR PLUGS !!!!!! DO YOU HEAR ME????

jeffd1988 likes this.
  2. John62

John62

This is my story too. I'm also 33 and up until recently, never wore hearing protection when grinding, sand blasting, using air tools, etc. It is embarrassing to constantly have to ask people to repeat themselves. Threads like this are important reminders about being safe and using the right protection, even when it isn't "cool".

3. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

This can not be restated too often or too strongly. I have been around open exhaust on a lot of vehicles including blown fuel Hemi's (at close proximity) since I was a young man. Loud music concerts, power tools of many type and use, but was OK until one day in 1974. I took several folks shooting out in a local canyon (which was legal at the time) and I had hearing protection for everybody but myself. We went through several hundred rounds of different caliber ammo in various weapons. The worst was my then new Ruger Blackhawk .357. We put about 300 rounds through it and after awhile I stuffed a couple of Marlboro filters in my ears. I could hear nothing for about a day and have had loud ringing in both ears since. Take measures to avoid this.

4. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Thanks for the good advice and related stories, guys. I'm 63 now and just about smart enough to listen and take precautions to save what I have.

01mikep likes this.
  5. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Fellas, I'm 30 and I've had tinnitus since I was in high school. I thought I had to play my guitar with my amp up to 11, and I wasn't going to be the pansy wearing earplugs at the drag strip, either.

The ringing you all hear is medically known as tinnitus. No pills, teas, or any other remedy will cure it. White noise and hearing aids are the only forms of easing currently known. If you want to get involved, check out www.ata.org

For those who want to preserve what you have left, use the big packages of 32db foam plugs when you're doing anything using a motor (yes, even vacuuming). And now there is a reusable plug that allows you to hear regular conversations without the muffled sound. You can pick those up at stores like Orchard Supply Hardware.

###
    Kustom Falcon Build Thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734282

6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I prefer the ear muffs over ear plugs, since I am more likely to put on the muffs when I have to do a noisy job for just a minute or two. They are much easier to put on and take off when your hands are a little dirty, which means they are more likely to be used.

I have a pair of ear muffs with built in radio, but they have a ridiculous design feature- when the batteries get low, they make a piercing high pitched tone.

7. Good Advice. I prefer the muffs too.

[​IMG]

8. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

As serious a subject as this is, that can be the small silver lining. I feel free to ignore much of my wife's babbling, plus a lot of other probably meaningless group conversation. The other is that it generally isn't life threatening, unless you get hit by a train.

I'm surprised I still have both eyes. Only in the last few years did I start wearing eye protection, in earnest, every time I used a grinder or torch. And even that was because I needed corrective lenses.

What's the old saying, if I knew I would have lived this long I would have taken better care of myself?

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

All you young guys are laughing at us broken down old coots, well keep laughing and TAKE CARE OF YOUR HEALTH don't take chances don't turn into a broken down old coot if you don't have to.

Here is a laugh:

The government sent around a questionaire to small business regarding employment practices. The last question said:

Please append a list of employees, broken down by sex.

To which one business owner replied: None, so far as I can tell it was liquor did the damage.

So look around at the old coots you know and ask which ones were broken down by sex and which ones liquor did the damage to. Ha ha ha ha ha

And which ones are a FFFF'd up by taking stupid chances.

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

One day I noticed that my ears where stressing from using the weed wacker. Then about 5 mins later a broken piece of weed wacker line bounced off a retaining wall and missed my eye by about 1/16"! From then on I have worn eye and ear protection doing the lawn work, working on cars, woodworking, just about doing ANYTHING! It's just not worth it not to.

My dad worked in a factory for 40 yrs without using any ear protection. With the affects of old age and 40 yrs of abuse, he can't hear anything now.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

I spent a major part of my working life around aircraft jet engines. There were many times I was too close to running engines with out ear muffs. I think its amazing I can hear anything now. I know I am hearing at a reduced rate. To save what I have left, I always use ear muffs or at least ear plugs.
    Wear ear protection before its to late.

12. Jimm56

Jimm56

OSHA requires your employer to furnish you with hearing protection if you're exposed to 85 DB a for 8 hours. 85 ain't loud. If you have to raise your voice, even a little, to be heard clearly, put in your ear plugs. Use clean ones to prevent infections, too. Muffs are good, bit the earpieces of your safety glasses break the sound seal, plugs just are better.
    Hearing loss is cumulative and PERMANANT! Please protect yourself, once it's gone, it's gone for good.
    Age doesn't destroy hearing, either. It's exposure to noise that does it., so don't blame getting old. Old age is a Good thing!

13. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

If you work in an environment that's not constantly noisy, earplugs are a pain in the ass. They always get dirty when taken out, and metal shavings in my ears doesn't sound like my idea of a good time, so I use these
    [​IMG]
    easy and quick when you need hearing protection, and they keep your ears warm if it's cold

14. I'm already screwed. tons of ear infections when I was a kid. I'm 29, and already have a hard time hearing...I try and protect what I got as best I can.

15. Oh sure, ruin my plans for a chain of hearing-aid stores. :cool:

16. jhaas63

jhaas63

Im 30 and have some hearing loss as well. You just dont think about it from the age of 12 to probably 25. I am a huge baby with my hearing now...sometimes I wear hearing protection when im running a shop vac.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  17. jhaas63

jhaas63

There is some hope for some of us though. I had heard during a hearing screening that they may have a way of fixing this soon...some type of surgery to get those tiny hearing hairs to stand up again as opposed to laying down.

18. What you say? .. you say wear protection? Army Artillery (8-inch guns) .... gotta wear protection, thats for sure (see picture). VA says "come on down and we will set you up with a new pair."

Attached Files:

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I had plenty of ear infections too as a youngster plus lots of colds flue and even pneumonia. Then I started taking Vitamin C every day. Starting with 50 or 100 mg working my way up to 1000mg a day.

Colds and infections went WAY down in number and severity. Also any burns, scrapes and cuts healed up a lot faster. Like completely healed in a week instead of a month.

So do yourself a favor and take some Vit C, it can't hurt you,it's in foods you eat every day if you like fresh fruit and veg.

20. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I'm glad this subject has been raised and it is oh so true. Between working around noisy machinery in marine and industrial settings and playing bass guitar in hard rock/heavy metal bands I have a constant ringing in my ears. I've become accustomed to it but it can be really annoying, not to mention the little sounds that can't be heard when you really need to hear them. Hearing protection is absolutely critical. To you younger folks, please take this seriously; once your hearing is compromised you won't get it back. Eli

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I know all about hearing loss since I was born with a hearing loss in both ears and I always make it a habit of wearing ear protection around loud noises because I want to keep the little hearing I do have.
    Hearing is taken for granted and kids don't realize the damage that can be done to one's hearing from loud noises over a long term.

22. HUH!

too many top fuel drag races
    too many years running equipment
    too much gunfire
    too much live music
    (The Who and Deep Purple caused near deafness for a couple days following)

I have pretty extreme tinnitus but kinda' lucky and mine sounds like birds chirping. I've had it so long, most of the time I don't notice it. Mine gets worse for a few days when I forget my muffs or plugs though. Even fairly quiet things like extended periods of block sanding by hand or spending the day near a 'box' fan will set mine off into the annoying loud mode. Die grinders, compressors and the like set it off immediately.

23. I keep a box of the foam ear plugs on the shelf in my garage. I also keep a fist full of them in the pocket of my riding jacket. I never ride without earplugs in. I'm only 37, and after growing up on a farm and being around loud machinery, then 4 years in the Marine Corps infantry, I learned how precious my hearing is. Or should I say, what I have left. I would like to share something that works great and I think everyone should check out. A while back, I picked up a pair of electronic ear-muffs. The ones I have are intended for shooting, but work great in the garage too. They actually amplify sounds that are at a normal level, such as talking, and instantly muffle loud noises. They work great for gun shots, air tools, hammer blows and the like. Probably the best tool in my garage. I've even got a pair for my little guy, when he comes out to help. Good habits start early.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  24. 66slabside

66slabside

Okay, I'll chime in. I was sick as a little baby and suffered nerve damage in both ears. As I get older it gets progressively worse. Eventually I will be deaf but technology has done wonders for me. Already 80% deaf in both ears, but people find it hard to believe since hearing aids are so good these days. I won't go down without a fight though! Currently work in construction and own a DJ business. I just protect the ears as good as I can but young guys protect yourself while you can, not being able to hear sucks! The kids always have to repeat themselves, my wife wakes up every day at 3:50 AM to my old school digital radio alarm. I barely hear it but it's on full BLAST, God bless her, i don't know how she puts up with me.
    Oh yeah, I'm only 44 so not an old timer by any means. So no matter what your age take care of your hearing, you don't know how lucky you are until you don't have it.

25. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I wear double, Foamys and the big ear defenders, its required for my job :D
    Though I don't think it helps too much, Jet mechanics are screwed from the start...
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

26. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

worked in and around an industrial press shop for 30 years ---wore ear plugs most of the time---my two buddies never did wear them---the are both deaf--- i can still hear pretty good and sometimes my ears don't ring---wear the hearing protection you will be glad you did...

jeffd1988 likes this.
  27. 3030

It's not cheap my hearing aids cost 6200.00 but at least now I can hear again. If I knew I was going to live this long I would of takin better care of myself!

28. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

I have been wearing hearing aids for almost 2 years now.....Sure, the bluetooth feature is cool, but overall its getting pretty lame

29. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another tinnitus sufferer here. Ringing is always there, pretty loud. But I don't always notice it unless I think about it. Mine started in the Navy, when I was in my early 40's. Wish someone had harped on me when I was younger about ALWAYS using hearing protection.

30. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i've noticed that the earbuds used with alot of the newer media devices can act as effective ear plugs in moderate noise situations.

But if you use them:

a) don't play your music too loud.

b) These aren't the greatest in terms of sanitary---can cause infections, but i suppose that is better than hearing loss?