Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 56 Town Sedan "under a tree" find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F91, Feb 22, 2013.

1. F91

F91

After months of putting it off, today was the day to move her to my house. Short story- I bartered with my new neighbor for this 56. After torrential rains today in Seattle, it cleared up long enough to move it next door.

[​IMG]

Took about an hour to get a door open! Just wouldn't open, had to get the vent wings open, tried the handles, nothing. Finally just used a combination of brute force and curse words to get them open.

[​IMG]

Ok, fine. Zero brakes and yet the wheel on the front drivers side is locked up. Hammer time. Got it freed up. Used the e brake to slow down.

[​IMG]

Got her home. Gonna dry it out, tear out rotten interior, squirt MMO in some holes and hope for the best. Plans moving forward are Aerostar coils, lowering blocks, skirts.Otherwise, we will see what direction the (affectionately named) Bitch wants to go.

[​IMG]

2. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

looks like a good start---got any plans ?

3. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

Sweet keeps us posted

4. Nice! Congrats on the moor door! Got to love those 56's what are your plans?

5. F91

F91

Thanks guys. Immediate plans are to get the motor going. Get all systems working. Needs a new generator. Gut the interior.May get a mid 80's Lincoln to be a donor for various parts. Aerostar coils for the front and lowering blocks for the back. Not sure how bad the rust is, but the lower front fenders need patching. It does have the 292 so I'm happy about that.
    [​IMG]

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I always liked the pink and white combo on a 56, that was one car that could get away with it. Good score.

Don

7. My aunt used to have a '56 4 door hardtop with that color combo. It was among the more popular 2 tones in '55 and '56.

8. toucan

toucan
    from sc

great score,keep us posted!

9. toucan

toucan
    from sc

i did the aerostar coils and i love them!

10. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Looking at your fender badges I think you may have a 312 engine . Nice car,enjoy.

11. F91

F91

i.rant - It's an "M" code on the VIN tag, I thought that was a 292? Doesn't mean it couldn't have been swapped though....

[​IMG]

12. sololobo

sololobo

Love those 56 town sedans, will make your "B" a sweet cruzer. Congrats kids! ~sololobo~

13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I thought all T-Bird V8's were 312's, thanks for the correct info. Learn something every day. Good luck with your Ford.

14. rick55

rick55

All 56 292 have the thunderbird badge.
    Marketing plot.
    Regards

15. F91

F91

I think Ford was just trying to market their V8's to the masses as a "special" T-bird motor for a few years. The badges are pretty cool though!

16. F91

F91

Found out a while back (from the HAMB) that the hood is from a 55. Originally a mint green 55 hood.

17. Ole don

Ole don

Good parts if nothing else, stick bell housing flywheel and clutch. Good stuff.

18. F91

F91

Auto transmission....

19. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Hey nice 56. I got a 56 mainline. Send your info to John Rotella, he told me everything there was to know about mine based on the vin, good info.

20. F91

F91

Thanks ccfortner! Did work today. Cleaned up the engine bay. removed plugs, squirted in Marvel Mystery oil and let it soak. Gonna pull the valve covers off tomorrow,before Daytona, and see if any of the valves are stuck. Points and rotor were in good shape

[​IMG] Jumpered to the battery cables and checked some of the electrical. Lights and some of the gauges work. Did NOT bump the starter.

[​IMG]

Cleaned out the inside a bit. Now that she's under cover, she can dry out a bit.

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since the motor is not the original color it might have been rebuilt in the past,since I see blue under the intake its probably not a rattle can rebuild and hope you can get it running.

22. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

Awesome!!! I have a 56 town sedan also.

23. Here's a 56 hood

[​IMG]

24. F91

F91

Yep, I know the differences. I'm going to have to fill in the trim holes in the front. I like the idea of losing the hord ornament without too much hassle.

25. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well done. I have a'56 Meteor Rideau Victoria. THESE'56's are Great cars. One of Ford's best looking designs. I have some nice door panels if you are interested as well as good doors if you need some. I see you have the rear bumper with the exhaust openings, cool.o

27. F91

F91

Fortunateson - I love BC, love visiting. Really appreciate the offer. Let's see if I can get her running first! I think all of the V8 56's had the bumper-exhaust.
    Pulled the valve covers today and poured MMO down the push rod holes to get some lube in there. Motor is still frozen, but I will say this- Zero sludge in the heads that I could see. Whoever said rebuild might have nailed it. Next move is going to be mass amounts of Tranny fluid and Acetone. Latest pic (only missed 40 laps of Daytona!).

[​IMG]

28. superbowl01

superbowl01

awesome find, brother has a 56 crown vick black and white factory. found it in about the same condition. he cleaned and cleaned and slowly made her a fine ride. Keep the the real metal going

29. Nice find, have fun with it. I've had my '56 Fairlane since '68 and it's back on the road after many years 'resting & rusting'... FYI, you might want to contact retrojim here on the HAMB, he has CDs for sale, of the parts books for these cars. It also includes VIN tag codes, paint codes etc. A very good investment if you plan on keeping the car and want to see the correct way that things go together, or how to decipher some of the codes, tag #s, etc.
    Ron

30. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Blue paint is a dead giveaway to being a rebuild. Looks like later model rocker assy. Also looks to have pressurized rocker shafts without the overflow tube in the rear.