Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Official 2013 Meltdown Drags thread, real vintage drag meet, July 20-21 Byron IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Doo, Feb 13, 2013.

1. I hope we are having Fri nite cruise nite again!

2. Jump on it!!! Wifey will understand....

3. Yes! Same deal in fall! To many cars hurt from summers racin? Only have it for 1 or 2 days!

4. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Redline....YES...Friday night & Saturday Cruise night for 2013........plenty to do for guys to stick around ALL WEEKEND.....and we have some GREAT GIVEAWAYS....BUT you must be present on Sunday to win.....and registered to race.....
    3 Great things so far...and working on more.
    One you would expect to buy a raffle ticket for.....BUT we are giving it away!
    Stay tuned....details may not come out immediately....like a 30's cliffhanger
    (suspense building)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  5. Saxxon

Saxxon

Totally against having 2 events over the summer...

Simply for the fact I can't make two 16+ hours tow to attend both... And I would hate to miss any part of either event.

Go for it guys... Vintage racing is where it's at.

6. 1bad32sedan

1bad32sedan
    from Wisconsin

Hell Ya I'm in for a Fall Meltdown.

7. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

I'm with Saxxon! I don't think I could do both events either, and it's a great event and would hate to miss one! That being said, I'm afraid if you had two events, maybe they would get kind of watered down, because not everybody can do both, and I would hate to miss any cool cars that would otherwise be there for just one special event!

8. coo el!

9. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

All of these concerns are exactly the feedback we are looking for......

This would NOT be for 2013.....but what about making Friday a full race day????

So guys who make the haul.....totally have 3 days of FUN......
    That means you could get in Thur night....or Friday morning....

AND....its all one long kick ass weekend.......

This is another possibility.......a true old school Nationals so to speak.....

Remember....For Hot Rodders.....BY HOT RODDERS.....:)

10. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

I'm #72!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!

11. neighborkidswillys

neighborkidswillys
    from byron

The concept of having two is awesome but I feel like people wouldn't stress getting to the july event because they could just go to the october event. As a spectator for this year, I would rather see one huge turnout than two decent sized ones. Just my 2 cents

12. mjb3707

mjb3707
    from chicago

i thinks thats a great idea for friday 3 day show i think part of the magic of the meltdown is that it dosent happen to often kinda like christmas just once a year and everybody gets excited and there is a lot is the anticipation. There are a lot of other events that we could support and keep the MD as the big show of the year just my 2cents

13. I agree ^^^^^ I like the huge fun party aspect of one Meltdown.

14. Leadsled51

Leadsled51

^^^^^^^^Agree X2!!! Make it a great 3 day event!!!! Three full days of Vintage Drag Racing! It might outgrow the venue if we aren't careful!!!

15. ...now that I think about this, I'm leanin more to a 3-day MD event instead of 2 events;
    a lot of good points being brought up here. A 3 day event would be a lot easier for the folks involved to pull off than doing 2 events I'm sure....and I'm thinkin 2 events mite make each one smaller and not as cool.
    ..let's keep thinkin.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  16. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

good points ^^^^^ there guys. Im like-n the idea of a 3 day once a year also.
    That way some of the other events wouldnt get short changed.

Isnt there a run-what ya brung in Cordova in the fall? Sort of the same ?

17. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

I like the discussion because that is a concern I also have....watering down the 2 events.....I know back in the day some events were Thur thru Monday....crazy sounding. I think Friday, Sat, and Sun would be fantastic....and I believe we would start to see guys haul from even farther away...since the more days make it worth it.
    It would be like 3 days of time travel!
    But I will say this....if the event gets so big we have to cut cars off....which could happen....the 2 event idea may come back to the table...we are almost to 80 pre-registered cars and it is FEB.....

PLEASE DO NOT WAIT TO REGISTER.....don't want to be watching through the fence...with no standing room.....LOL

18. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

These guys are bringing up some good points about the Meltdown version 2.0 that I didn't think of, but with the popularity of it i think you are going to keep it as an option. Don't think of it as 2 events, just one event with a 4 month intermission. I will have to call and verify, but I think Ron is planning on bringing the Bee Line Willys coupe this year, you can't get more vintage than that....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this should make it this year. Hang on to your hats....

[​IMG]

19. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Jim will be there, is there a trophy for fastest senior citizen?
    [​IMG]

20. sierra rod shop

sierra rod shop

21. Saxxon

Saxxon

Wow... on both of them... !!

As for 2 events... the Superbowl is only played once a year. I vote we keep this event the same way and make the one time a year gathering the superbowl of vintage gatherings. Sounds corny but that's the best way I can state the concept.

22. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

Question to the racers, how long is the shut down? I ran a short track last summer and couldnt get my old rear brake only car stopped. I added a vintage parachute this winter but was curious, this will be my first time at this track. I am looking forward to this event and have my entry number already.

23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Its long, there should be no problem stopping. There was a vintage funny car that made the first turnoff without a parachute and he also set the track record.

24. Lol, we would need 300 awards because of all the fast old guys!:eek:

25. Lots of length to slow down. I ran 10.85 and I have rear only airheart brakes, non working chute. it won't be an issue.

26. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Several of the guys were running into the 9's with no issue.

Jon

27. Hope you and your car didn't get hurt last summer - nobody wants problems in the shutdown area!

Not only is the shutdown at Byron relatively long, it goes uphill as well. The hill at the shutdown end makes the illusion that the first 1/4 mile is running downhill, but actually it is perfectly level. This can be seen on many of the pictures as well as the many videos on youtube. Bring your car and you will be happy with this track.

Byron Dragway is extremely clean, the pits are nice, the owner and staff are great, they have good food, the return road is smooth, and best of all - the track prep and resulting hook is superb! There are other tracks much much closer to the guys that put the Meltdown Drags on, and it is where it is at because of Byron Dragway.

Thank you for pre-registering!

Edit - Several people already answered your question while I was pecking away - I type way too slow...

Three FED's ran 7 sec ET's at last year's Meltdown Drags.

28. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Maybe e can talk Don into getting off his ass and coming out this year.....

[​IMG]

29. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

30. Falfasnightmare

Falfasnightmare

Big John.....Don is already pre-registered!!!
    Something about come hell or high water.....drive it tow it, push it pull it......
    he will not miss the 2013 MD.......
    AWESOME!!!!

Boy...great pics....if anyone is on the fence LET THE MISSOURI BOYS change your mind...they come in FORCE....with KICK ASS CARS.....and Johnny Wishbones T-Bucket was even in the MD Promo video.....FANTASTIC!!!

I like the Superbowl comparison...exactly wait all year for it....and FYI...just got
    ALTERED WHEEL BASE CAR #4 tonight....preregistered.....FANTASTIC!!