Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you have people claim THEY built it when YOU did?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlisle1926, Feb 22, 2013.

1. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I just found this on Facebook. Trey at Ganem's Garage in Victoria, TX built this over the top Snake Oil sales car several years ago and later sold it. He came to me wanting his portrait painted on the car as a snake oil salesman. I painted the artwork on the doors and the "pigboy" on the trunk. Trey has some neat ideas and works his butt off. But here is what has been burning my but lately. I keep having jerks (not Trey)tell the general public that "they" did the artwork on his car. I can't believe people are that crazy as to try to claim MY work as their own. This guy isn't saying he did the work, but he sure ain't telling them he didn't do it when they comment on his page as if he did. The guy's call name is PaintbyRon and it is posted on Roadkill Customs page. Paint by Ron might be an awesome guy for all I know, but he didn't paint the Snake Oil Car.

https://www.facebook.com/ajax/sharer/?s=2&appid=2305272732&p[0]=244319495594523&p[1]=2452059

My point is, I'm not a professional hot rod shop as so many have a T-shirt made and claim to be, but I bust my ass and won't stand for plagiarism of my work.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. We ran across a 40 Forty Ford sedan in Pigeon Forge several years ago that the guy was telling the people that would listen that he had built it,,in actuality fellow hamber Deuce Gasser had built the car.

Alex started messing with him on how he had chopped the top and and he just laid it on thicker & thicker,,

The new owner did paint the car,,or have someone to paint it.

It was kinda funny when Alex told him he built the car. HRP

3. 4rod

4rod

I don't associate with those type of people, its not worth my time

4. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

My old rod went to Tennessee, I know its changed hands atleast 3 times since I've sold it. I could probably guarantee that somewhere among the lines I was cut out of the equation

5. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Sounds like some Lance Armstrongisms. LIARS!

6. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

Here are two other cars that I have done extensive work on and the owner Mark, claims that HE did all of it and on occasion he says he had a little help. He buys parts and occasionally gets his hands dirty, but mostly he just pays others and "befriends" people once he discovers they have a talent he can exploit. He really talks it up and really walks all over his "buddies" to get his cars built. Mark at Champion Hotrods in Granbury, TX is a real class act. Recently the "38 Special" 1938 Chevy truck was in Rat Rod magazine and he claimed that he had the chassis built but HE did the rest. Not true. I chopped the top, did all of the sheet metal work and it was my idea to polish the bare steel body like I do with my aircraft stuff. Somehow he always publicly forgets that I did all of the cosmetic work on the truck. I also chopped the top in his black 1930 coupe and painted his Champion Storage lettering on his 1952 Chevy truck, but of course HE did all of that if you ask him. The way he treats others caused me to sever all ties with him. I might be whining a bit, but I've just had one of those weeks where to many people were laying claim to my work.
    http://www.jasonbarnett.net/images/38spec21.jpg

http://www.jasonbarnett.net/custombuiltauto.html#

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  7. Poesrodandcustom

Poesrodandcustom
    from Kentucky

Worked at a rod shop in Tn. a while back. Built a 41 Willys pro street car for a guy, had a blown 572 from Big Al's Toybox in it. While the car was at the nationals in Syracuse in another shops booth. Thought it was funny another shop claiming the build. Owner of the shop in Tn confronted them in front of a large crowd with all the build photos.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Facebook and Rat Rod magazine?:confused: Just stay here. We'll treat ya right.

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You could try signing your work. Don't know if it would help, this claiming someone else's work as your own, seems to be a disease with some people and I don't think you can stop it.

10. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

Starbird did that on Stuckys "lil" coffin for a long time till everyone started calling him on it, he seems to be a little more upfront about it now

11. rancid737

rancid737

I worked in a shop where the head painter was constantly taking credit for other people's work. Would bring up pictures online of work that he said he did, including one of Gene Winfields famous "fade" jobs. But, this guy also told me that all his tattoos were made with ink mixed from the ashes of burnt bibles, and he also wrote the song "pour some sugar on me" by poison...he's been full of s**t all his life, and everyone around here knows it. Suffice to say, he's been out of work for 4 years now.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a buddy who is great at walking up while someone is blowing smoke about building a car that they bought and hollering "hey look, that's __________ old car and they haven't changed a thing since he sold it _______ years ago.

It's all too common for people to want to claim the work on their car as their own unless naming the builder or shop that built it is worth more bragging rights than claiming that they did it. It might even be why some guys buy cars from out of state or out of the region rather than buy a local car. Take your old car half way across the country to an event where it hasn't been seen by anyone before and sell it and buy one to take home that no one in your area has seen before and you have a fresh car with fresh bragging rights so you think.

13. Master of None

Master of None

It happens.... to everyone at some point. Its sucks when it does, but there is always a moment of HA! YOU JUST PROVED YOU DIDN'T BUILD IT BY THE ANSWER YOU JUST GAVE!

14. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

When I was about 18 I built a bugeye Sprite with a 289 Ford in it. A year or so later I got drafted and sold it to a buddy of mine. Fast forward about 4 years and I went to a shop that was selling a tripower setup for a GTO and there was my old Sprite sitting there.

I told the guy that I had built the car and he said that was impossible, the guy he bought it from (my buddy) told him how he had done every little detail on it. I just laughed and told him that I had, in fact, done the whole thing myself. The funny part is that my buddy couldn't turn a screwdriver without messing up the screw. :D

Don

15. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Looks like you do nice work..... but this topic has nothing to do with traditional hotrodding. :confused:

16. Voodoowagon

Voodoowagon
    from Fort worth

My car is currently over at Jays Fabrication and Restoration and I am constantly telling people about the awesome work his shop is doing. I came from the truck scene and would always hear of people claiming they built something when you know they didnt.

17. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

When I was very young a local brought his 56 f100 cab over for my dad to put new cab corners in. I got to help weld them (5-6 years old and did some welding) couple years later at a show he was telling people how he had done everything. I chimed in and said how I helped my dad put the corners in and he had nothing to do with them. Parents say it was pretty funny when he got all beat red about an 8 year old busting him on who worked on his truck.

18. nha

nha

I guess I'm lucky enough that I've never done anything worth trying to steal credit for.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My question is, if you're not going to do anything about it, why even bring it up? YOU know it's wrong, so handle it.

Personally, I take GREAT pride and pleasure in busting a liar. With technology the way it is, a person has to really work at it, so calling them out is it's own reward.

20. Fenders

Fenders

When you do the work put yer name in a few accessible or easily found places --
    "Well how come my name is on the _____ .?"

21. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Come on everyone knows (Pour Some Sugar On Me)was a Def Leppard song lol

Jake

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  22. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

23. Camel

Camel
    from oroville

He cant even get the lie right. Thats a Def Leppard song

24. Mark T

Mark T

I bet if you ask George Barris he'd say he built it.

25. 67coronet

67coronet

I was pissed off to see a car we did the interior in at a show only to have a sign giving credit to someone else for the job. This really tells me that I don't need friends like this! Hope to see them broke down so we can drive right on by.

26. rotenjon

rotenjon

My rod should be on the road by late spring, and i am not a fabricator. I have no problem telling anyone that all of the fab work was done by the late Glenn Schimmin of Colville Wa. He was a great rod builder with incredible talent and he is greatly missed!:(

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have caught my customers telling people that they did all of the work on their cars.

The biggest lie so far was from the second-owner of a car that I had built. I walked up to him at a show and asked how he liked the car. He spent about a half-hour, I just let him roll, going over all of the details of the car that HE had done.

When he seemed satisfied with his tale, I handed him a business card. I told him that, if he looked, that he would find that the logo on the card exactly matched the one welded to the front suspension crossmember.

I appreciate getting credit for my work. It brings more business.

Some people really suck.

28. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I don't have that problem, no one wants to claim anything I have ever done. Gene

29. studeynut

studeynut

My shop built a 27 Essex 4dr into a 2dr. We shortened, narrowed, patched all rust holes, built a new roof with rain gutters, new floors, modified his "T" bucket frame, made it a complete rolling car. Then he takes it home to "finish it himself", months later I see it in the Biose Roadster Show all finished. Great, I think more advertising for my shop, but, no, the sign gives all the credit to another local shop, they did the paint and finish work. I was pissed!

30. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

My brother does it all the time. He bought a 41 Chevy about 8 years ago and tells people that he spent 30 thousand dollars and 20 years to fix it, when in fact, all he did was lower it and add some accessories (he paid 6,500 dollars for the car).