Register now to get rid of these ads!

bags? yeah i know

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowrodderchev, Feb 20, 2013.

1. ok so i got my baby on the road and i love how she sits but pulling in to my driveway, works driveway ok pretty much 50% of driveways the bumper drags hard. so i'm thinking add a bag set up to the rear. i have a pump, lines and switches from a helper bag set up that was on a friends truck. was thinking of using it with some sleeve bags just to raise it when needed (ice chest full of beer, couple of fat chicks riding with me etc) what do you guys think? not looking for something that will break the bank. BTW i have about 4-6 inches wide and 2-6 inches long of space above the axle. i cant mount on the sides due to gas tank and exhaust. and now for your viewing pleasure.................

tru.jpg

truc.jpg

truu.jpg

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just raise it a little. Is threre a contest going on to see how stupid low you can get it?

3. no i cant i love how she sits now LOL . i really was thinking of raising her but i'm still gonna have problems when i haul stuff. she's going back to being my daily driver as well as moving things (swap meet finds, furniture, motorcycle when it wont start)

4. BISHOP

BISHOP

hook the pump to a set of air shocks.

5. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Think there use to be so guys started cutting off the rocker lol every thing looks better the lower it is.if it drags on a flat surface and you have to drive over to the side it's low enough for a static drop lol.

Don't raise it up looks good.

Jake

Attached Files:

6. Don't raise it up looks good.

Jake

thank you my thoughts exactly. it looks alot better low. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

7. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

Whats wrong with some bags? Its an easy setup, don't let people scare you. Bags would be a good fix for the problem.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

8. was thinking air shocks but i've heard they ride like crap. believe it or not as low as it sits it actually rides pretty nice.

9. thats what i'm thinking but not sure what to look for. i dont want anything to crazy. thats why i'm thinking helper bags but i''m not to fumiluar with them

10. JakeDW

JakeDW
    from Missouri

Not a dam thing I say bag front and back so it lays out!

Jake

11. Willy301

Willy301

If you are just using it to level it when hauling or to raise the rear when going over something(thinking bubble gum wrapper)(just kidding) they have the air bag load levelers that fit inside a typical coil spring, but if your using leaf springs, they offer them as the bellow type air bag. You can add the air instantly, and drain it just as fast.

12. inliner54

inliner54

Air shocks work great! That's what I'm running and a lot cheaper too

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, if you know it needs bags, then go for it. It sounded like you were looking for HAMBers approval? Just bag it, man.

I'll never get into the lowered truck thing, but it's not my truck.

14. not really looking for approval just ideas on what to get or what has work for others.

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Misunderstood.

My brother used to have a '68 Impala. He used air shocks. That's probably the cheapest way to do it.

17. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

I like the truck! Looks mean.

18. Orn

Orn

I think your truck sits perfect the way it is. If it’s where mine I go for real bags instead of air shocks. A couple bags and valves didn’t cost much.

[​IMG]

19. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

I really like this truck a lot...my vote is for a pair of air shocks....that will solve the problem until you're ready to bag it.

20. BadLuck

BadLuck

looks like i made it before someone added the comment.."bags are for groceries" or "bags aren't traditional" :D im all for them.. makes getting in and out of driveways easier and without scraping the chrome off the bottom of my rear bumper.. they ride nice.. ive had mine for 5 years.. no problems except for a bag losing air once because "I" ran a line too close to my headers! Great looking truck buddy..

21. its gonna be one of those do it once and thats it. I like bags but i don't really have any plans on bagging it all around just the rear to help out when I get to that bump on the road

22. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

there is a 70's c10 in our auto body class that scrapes everything, but the owner did exactly what you want to, so long as you only have three springs in the rear then the bag will push it up enough. i was kind of confused when i saw a leaf spring in the back but the tuck still raising up but now im thinking that it would be the perfect set up for my own truck. so plus 1 on adding a helper bag to the leaves

23. chigger

chigger

Bags will air up faster than air shocks. Last time I checked, air shocks had 1/8" air line , where bags have 1/4",3/8",1/2" and others. Larger line size means more air volume in a stated amount of time.. I like the look being staticly dropped. Definately makes YOU pay attention when driving!

24. repairmanrod

repairmanrod
    from colorado

If it knocks the bolts out of man-hole covers when you drive over them it sits JUUUUUSSSSSTTTTT Right!!! I would bag it and thats what i plan on doing to my 55 second series. Just my opinion

Rod

25. Yes the line size is a issue cause I wanna run a compressor all my lines I have are 1/4 inch

26. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I feel your pain man, I really do.....10+ yrs of cab banging fender grinding and bumper tagging oh and dont forget when your passenger forgets how low you are and opens the door into those "taller" square curbs. LOL I have always wanted to add helper bags to the rear and eventually I will do something I will probably just get some 5" slam bags and run 1 compressor without a tank or something just to keep it simple but for heavens sake dont permantly raise it!!:D:D:D:D

27. Im digging your "stupid "low look. fixing to set a truck up with helper bags on the leaf springs, Friend of mine car rides great with them.not a big fan af air shocks ride.

28. yeah it looks to dam cool to raise it, course only been driving it a few days now and seems like I can live with it prob run shocks if I can get the plumping figured out

29. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

My idea was to just mount one compressor on an on/off switch have a tee at the discharge with a safety valve rated slightly less than the bags themselves and have one exhaust valve at the end of the line somewhere,electric of course could be run off the same switch if its two way, Also I was going to use nycoil stuff cause its flexible and since its not actually going to hold my truck up by itself it doesnt need to be D.O.T approved. I know from experience though I will have to run a length of stainless flex off the compressor because the heat will get to the nycoil line. Thats my Idea anyway I wont get to it until Im driving my car though I cant keep starting mini projects lol

30. GREASER815

GREASER815

I see nothing wrong with using the helper bags, if its only to level the ride or raise it a little here and there. Lots of heavy duty trucks using them to hauls and pull 5th wheels, they seem to do good with them.