Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone built a blown mopar flathead6?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackho74, Feb 21, 2013.

1. jackho74

jackho74

I have an Aussie Dodge Kingsway (53 Savoy in the U.S) and am wondering how the old 230ci flatty would respond to a 'huffer', anyone done one or have any advice or info, manifolds? the laws in my state make it hard to register a v8 engine conversion and I reckon a blown flatty would be pretty cool with a split exhaust system etc, running the "3 on the tree of course"

2. The first thing you'll need to do is build a beefy block. They suffer from inadequate oiling to the 5/6 journals. Crossdrilling the crank and opening out oilholes and grooves in the bearing shells will help here. They're adequate for low rev cruising as is, but wont take high revs for long. Go to the Mopar section of the inliners forum and search for threads or posts by Hud (I think). He and his old man have one in a tractor (for tractor pulling) that turns 6000rpms. He has documented in a thread about 75 pages long all their research into these motors. It's invaluable.
    I had a 55 Savoy, and personally I think that fitting a 5 speed is the first thing to do. If I had kept it I would have done this. It was fair screaming at 60mph.

3. jackho74

jackho74

Thanks mate, I'll look it up, 75 pages....wow. Yeah, I knew the bottom end would need work thanks for the tip Rockabilly. I know the 3 speed isnt ideal, but I love the column change and would prefer to keep it. Just thought a blower,4/71?? would give me a little more grunt....and a glorious whine.......really wanna do this :)
    Mine belts along at 60mph which is ok, doesn't seem to be over revving, but yeah an extra gear or overdrive would be great sometimes. Cheers, Jeff.