Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fan relay Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porkchop4464, Feb 20, 2013.

1. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Have a great fan from a minivan that fits my 65 Mustang 2 core radiator Got the fan on Sleabay fits a Caravan for 20 clams. Fan didn't come with a relay. It fires up and spins and pulls my block (350 Chevy) right down to 180. I fired up the fan on a the battery charger once the temp hit 190-195; she pulled the temp to 180 within 60-90 seconds. Real great air flow; great fan.

Couple questions, simple and stupid to some I am sure, but here they go:

I do need a relay, right? Can't run it with just a switch?
    Good cheap relay, or car to pull one from you know works well?
    Have standard toggle switch - the old silver 1 inch toggle with red and black "On and off" switch plate. This switch/toggle is fine, right?

2. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

The need for a relay depends on the amperage draw from the fan and amperage rating of your switch. The same goes for the relay. If you match the rating of the relay to the fan, you can run whatever switch you want.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. 460stang

460stang

you need a relay..and any parts store will have it, and most parts stores will even have a temp sensor and relay kit.. to make it a simple install..i know pepboys did at one time..thats where i got mine from..i have an adjustable temp sensor that mounts into the rad fins..

4. Fenders

Fenders

Dunno about your fan, but I run mine off a toggle switch... junkyard electric fan, turn it on when needed on hot days aftera few warm-up miles... don't need the fan on a highway drive ... yah I pay attention to the temp gauge.....

5. i'd use a relay and a circuit breaker for the fan

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. 64falconsix

64falconsix
    from Daphne Al.

I picked up a kit with all the parts from jegs with relay and temp switch. It's activated by the ignition switch and runs only when it has too. It has worked great for 3 years now. Like mentioned previously though the relay and temp switches are available at the local auto parts.

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I'm with the temp sensor and relay crowd. Inexpensive, and easy to install.

4TTRUK

8. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Great help as usual guys. Thanks for all the responses. I have run electric fans with nothing in the past, but never for any extended period of time. My fear is the "insta-cherry-red-silly puddy wire" slinkying around under my dash at a stop sign, accompanied by the smell of burning rubber and a permanent wire lines tattoo burned in the fat on the tip of my index finger (been there too many times).

9. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

10. 26 roadster

26 roadster

I melted two plastic fuse panels by not using a relay, use a relay now and no problems.
    most fans have a lot of "start up" amps and a lot less once running.

11. don't forget to run nice thick wire from your power supply to the contacts on the relay and then to your fan- (your high-current circuit).
    Some of those fans draw 25Amps or more!

12. txturbo

txturbo

Always use a relay for high current stuff. Never a good idea to run high current wires any farther than necessary....especially inside the car. You have to remember to turn on a toggle switch and they will burn out eventually because of the high current going through them. Relays are found on all cars and trucks throughout the 90s so they are easy to find in wrecking yards. Every time I visit one I grab a handful from fuse boxes under the hoods of GM vehicles. If you just have to have a toggle switch then make the toggle switch make/break the relay ground.

13. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

thanx turbo and all. Heard and love the help