Register now to get rid of these ads!

Odd ball hotrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost28, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Ghost28

Ghost28

Well I decided that the 120 inch wheel base was too long for a this car and it made the car look like a limo. and the standard model was 114 inch. So 6 inches has to go. I measured the seating area and there is enough room in there for 3 large basketball players to sit, so this is where the 6 inches will come from. I am 6 foot tall and there will still be a large amount of room for me to stretch out in this car. I got the plasma cutter out this afternoon and made all new lower panel since the bottom of the body is paper thin in spots and need to be repaired. Now I have to install them.

Attached Files:

2. zjerry

zjerry

Nice Looking hotrod roadster .

3. jw johnston

jw johnston

I have to agree with you on removing the 6 inches right behind the door. Ive been eyeballin mine and I think it looks to long as well.

4. jw johnston

jw johnston

I wonder what the subrails were like in these cars as well?

5. 7ate9

7ate9
    from Maine

I can't wait to see how this thing turns out. I worked on a 30 Buick Roadster a year or so ago but it was all original. I was thinking at the time it would've made an awesome Hot Rod.

6. Ghost28

Ghost28

I was thinking the same thing, after I shorten the body I am gonna fabricate everything out of steel along with all the inner structure. I gotta keep the body from flexing.
    STAY TUNED

7. Ghost28

Ghost28

I did shorten the seating are by 6 inches today. I still have 42 1/2 inches from the dash to the rear where the top would fasten down. It looks a whole lot better and the proportions are where I want them. the frame will also have to massaged 6 inches to get me my 104 inch wheel base. I also installed the new drivers side wheel tub and lower quarter panel metal to get rid of the rusted panels. It's getting there.

Attached Files:

8. studeynut

studeynut

Great project! Love the odd rods, alot more charactor than Fords. Currently gathering parts for my 29 Studebaker Cabriolet, 32 Nash coupe and working on a 27 Essex pu, 40 Dodge COE, and my avatar, 48 Frazer coupe. I know, too many projects, just can't help myself.

9. Nice work John, the new proportions look great. You really made some progress on the back part of the body. Should be on the road in no time! I'll have to measure the interior on mine to see how close they are now.
    Tom

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

WOW. You can never have to many

Thanks buddy. I feel the car needed to be shorter. It will be awhile before the first drive. I am gonna take my time. It would be interesting to find out how your interior spacing measure up.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. Mine measures 54" from the center of the dash to the center of the back of the passenger compartment.

12. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

You are motoring!! At this rate you will be done before I am:( I don't know where you guys find the time.......or the money. Looks Great!! John.
    Jim

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

I went ahead and put all newer panels on the rear body. I didn't trust the thickness of the metal back there. I took a look at the door hinges and they are pretty cool, but are a little flimsy for todays roads. they consist of a two piece design that is hinged on a single 1/4 inch dowel pin about 3/8th inch long and have flimsy riveted piece of metal that if you move it to one side the door can be taken off for a jeep like adventure. Since the hinges were a hidden design from the factory, I am gonna replace them with a newer hidden design, and I will probably put a more modern bear claw latch on the roadster also.

Attached Files:

14. Ghost28

Ghost28

Thanks, but I am not as fast as I used to be and time is all I have for awhile. With the hot rod budget that I had left I was able to get the bell housing and all the parts to install my new 4 speed and hurst shifter behind the 401 nailhead. I went with a saginaw out of a 68 camaro that had just been rebuilt and the greese was a real pretty gold color. I hope if I don't abuse it it will last me. I have finished all the lower patch panels and started to build the sub flooring. I laid 1 inch by 2 inch 16 guage tubing on top of the frame and am building all the structure off these it should be strong when finished.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Gonna be a neat Buick!

16. studeynut

studeynut

Coming together nicely. Giving me ideas on how to do my 29 Studey floors. Keep the pictures coming.

17. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Your work looks so good, I called my Doctor about having a replacement on my right knee. I figured that my work would look half as good. Hope you are healing well !!!

Leave off the hood and plant Two Blown Nail Heads side by side. Tommy Ivo would be real proud.

Keep up the good work and the knee therapy............. Jeff

18. Ghost28

Ghost28

Will do. Thanks.

OH YEAH The new knees have helped, and the therapy is going well. I think I can only afford one nailhead in this build. Thanks.

19. silverdome

silverdome

Cool Build! I was wondering if you were going to put any type of isolators between the frame and body to help with flex, vibration and noise?

20. sololobo

sololobo

What an amazing body. This is going to be a really cool rod. Thanx for sharing and best wishes on the build. ~sololobo~

21. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Allways cool with a not everyday hotrod, will follow this build for sure....

22. Ghost28

Ghost28

I have some industrial rubber I bought in bulk awhile back for this purpose. It measures 2 inches wide by 1/4 inch thick, and is in 12 foot lengths. I will run this between the subfloor and the frame to keep all things tight and quiet.

23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Love the def look and your doing great with.
    Myself,I don't care much for fendered roadsters,or sunvisers,but what ever works 4 you is super.

24. Ghost28

Ghost28

I finished up the sub flooring at the rear of the buick, then moved on to bending 3/4 inch square tubing to wrap around the package tray or seating area, this was tough. I was able to bend most of it by hand using my vice, but for the tight curves a few well placed cuts and then welding it back together worked best. I then installed some cross bracing for the back of the seating area this will also work as a support for the buffer material between the trunk and driver area later on. I got to thinking about the trunk lid, and if it was gonna fit the hole it was designed for so I installed the interior drip support and then used a few pieces of metal to support the lid, and for the most part it fit well except on the lower body driver area was too low from previous damage, but with my porta power doing most the work it fits like a glove now. Now it's on to hinges for the doors and trunk area. Have a look

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Very impressive. Quite the cool build. :cool:

26. Ghost28

Ghost28

I haven't been too busy with the buick lately, but I have worked on the frame a bit. After taking 6 inches out of the body the frame was next. It wasn't to tough to acomplish this, but I still need to plate this area, and do some boxing for strength. I also did not like where the gas tank was mounted at the rear of the car it looked like a hog with a hernia hanging out, so I operated on it also. This should clean up the rear after I put a small rolled pan back there. I did install a cross brace made out of 2 1/2 inch round heavy guage pipe to replace what I cut off, and this should also act as a hidden bumper if heaven forbid it gets hit. I am just trying to clean it up a bit. Here are a few pic,s.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. clubcoupe37

clubcoupe37

i love this. great looking roadster...must be a very rare body. good luck with it.

28. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Bitchin'! I like the fendered idea a lot. Have you ever checked out the '31 Buick front fenders? They have a cool little "bat peak" at the leading edge. I'm basing my whole project around a pair....slowly. Good luck on your build. Looks great.

29. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Great build. I had just a cowl like this but sold it when I got too many projects piled up. Good luck and get well for those knees. I'll be watching.

30. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Love watching the progress...Great looking vehicle...