Register now to get rid of these ads!

why do I keep doing this to myself

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chunk40, Feb 15, 2013.

1. chunk40

chunk40

ok time to pick some brains......I picked up a 65 plymouth with no engine or trans so,I am thinking pick up a 318 and a 727 trans (the engine is a 1972) and drop it in and hit the road.sounds easy right?Nooooooo the 318 won't go in because the oil pan hits the front crossmember.............ok will a oil pan off a poly 318 fit this la 318 or is there a motor mount spacer I can buy or something??????I am loseing whats left of my mind.......please help......

2. metalix_421

metalix_421

do you have a welder?
    if so is it possible to make it fit?
    cut weld cut weld.

I dropped a 472 caddy in my 56 olds and have to build most of the oil pan and pickup tube.

3. 65ssnova

65ssnova
    from Tulsa OK

Oh just cut the crossmember out, you dont need it...

4. Did the car originally come with a slant six?? The K member could be the problem.

5. It's a little too late model for me so, did they put a 318/727 in the '65 Plymouth? If they did, find the right pan and mounts. If not, do what metalix_421 suggested.

6. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

7. The main reason we do this stuff is we are gluttons for punishment!

All joking aside,,it's called Hot Rodding for many reasons,,a major reason is problem solving,,it sounds like a nice car and someone here has probably experienced the same thing your going through with a car very similar. HRP

[​IMG]

8. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I'm not a expert, but I'm fairly sure you could get a poly in a 65 since I had a 66 with a poly.

9. chunk40

chunk40

thanks for all the advice....I do have a welder and I also have a poly parts engine.....just wondering if the oil pan and maybe oil pump would fit in the 72 la

10. jw johnston

jw johnston

Typically ive found when installling later car motors in early cars you need to use a truck pan and pickup tube.

11. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Which Poly do you have? There were sooo many variations of this engine and only some parts swap to the LA, send 73RR a pm, he's one of the Mopar gurus round here.

Scotty

12. 66galwag

66galwag
    from SoCal

I think the pan off a 318 Poly would probably work as the blocks are pretty similar. Failing that it shouldn't take much of a notch on the front of the pan to make it clear. Alternatively you could probably swap in a '66-72 B-body k member which would sit the engine further back - it's been done with big blocks so I don't think you'd have any firewall clearance issues with a small block apart from maybe the distributor.

13. slammed

slammed

Can you notch the crossmember? Then down the road many other mid/front sump pans will clear.

14. More info.year ,model of car.what engine it had in it.poly engine and la engines are different.no crossover of parts.schumacher creative services specializes in mopar engine swaps and mounts.Ive done this many times.easy.

15. Chrysler had different K-members, depending on the motor.

16. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

What he said. You need to find out what motor was in the car before you bought it. Is there a data plate near the drivers door upper hinge? You may be able to decode the plate and find what motor came in the car. Try decoding the info with a 1965 factory service manual.

17. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

The 318 poly oil pan will fit the LA engine except will not fit the 360.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The K members are usually the same except the one motor mount is 1" farther forward. No reason the pan and oil pickup won't fit, you have them both so you should be able to figure it out.

19. 1965 B-bodies came with a 273(A) under the hood for a small-block option. The 318(NOT the Poly 318) from later years is derived from that mill. Perhaps a 273 pan is needed? Rusty is correct on the K-frames;in 1966,the K was designed to move the motor one inch farther back. A popular swap for the 62-65 guys who looked for a bit of "better" weight distribution. When I had the Faubel "Honker" hardtop,it had a later K-frame installed.

20. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have never heard of this happening. Most all small blocks and big blocks for that matter used a center sump oil pan for cars. Some vans and most trucks used odd pans. I have seen many early b-bodys with newer small blocks. Don't remember anyone saying they had this issue. What motor did this car have?

21. chunk40

chunk40

not sure what was in the car....it was used as a drag car for awhile and I there are no fender wells so no tag working on getting a title gonna do the whole security bond thing but I need to get it running for the appraisel..........thanks for all the advice

22. chunk40

chunk40

was thinking about that

23. chunk40

chunk40

so far the only thing I know it was a v8 car

24. chunk40

chunk40

thanks

25. chunk40

chunk40

here are a few pics of what I am working with

Attached Files:

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Theres only 2 basic crossmembers as far as I know (Slant 6 and V8)...and the difference is in a mount stand...not the shape of the crossmember.
    You have the wrong basepan and you cant cut up the crossmember to make it fit.
    I THINK (99%) the Poly basepan is interchangeable with the LA engine. You will have to use the LA oil pickup of course and I THINK that fits as well.

Regardless...IF the Poly doesn't fit you can easily buy a new oil pan (and pickup of course) for the LA that will fit the 65 B body.
    Just as an example...Summit Racing® Steel Oil Pans SUM-G3535 $46 bucks and tax.
    Says it fits from 65-72.

No need to get into modifying the crossmember or getting stressed out.
    This is as basic a combo as it gets...

27. chunk40

chunk40

thanks....did not want to cut the k member

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have never seen a front sump pan that fits the newer motors,I know some of the flathead sixes from the 50s trucks did but never in a car. I would think a center sump pan along with the correct pick up tube should get that motor in the car with no modifications,I would almost bet that motor came from a 4x4 truck to have a front sump pan.

29. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

The small block LA Mopars used different pans and pickup tubes for trucks and vans than what was in the cars. Is it possible you have a truck engine?

30. chunk40

chunk40

it might be a truck engine not sure