Register now to get rid of these ads!

No one wants to Haul/ship my cab!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tj78_, Feb 14, 2013.

1. tj78_

tj78_
    from NY

im nowhere near NYC. I'm upstate NY.
    not many people going to roswell i dont think but people cut across from AZ headed east.

2. white64

white64
    from Maine

Alot of guys go to Carlisle or Hershey with just a PU, if they find something they buy a trailer (granted you can get good deals on trailers at the shows) then sell it when they get home, and if they do it right they can recoup the money spent on the trailer and are out only the gas money... but damn that's a long ride for anyone!

3. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I know for a fact YRC freight will do it "Sealed devider" but as with any ltl company, it will probably cost some. I have recomended and some have gotten deals, other not.

4. mr crocket

mr crocket

I go thru there once in a while it's a nice ride from Las Cruces to Amarillo lots of nothing and no traffic.I will probably be in Phoenix next week looking to find some freight to northeast lots of drivers are scared of New York and New England in winter so it pays much better.You would be suprised how many drivers stay south of I-40 in winter to avoid weather issues.How much trailer do you think you'll need?I use local towing companies to get cars,bikes whatever on trailer most rollbacks have same deck height so it's not too difficult most of time 40 or 50 bucks gets it picked up and backed to my trailer.Which by the way is air-ride have not hurt anything in 18 years.Can't make any promises but maybe I can find something that does not take whole trailer between Phoenix and El Paso that will work.

5. tj78_

tj78_
    from NY

i need to get better numbers but i think i need about 10 ft.

let me know what you're thinking mr crocket

jesse- ill call you in a bit..

i'll check out Upack too

THANKS!

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

How long have you been listed on Uship?
    If it is only like a few days to a week then dont be dismayed yet.
    There are a group of thugs on Uship that come in early and quote high.
    These guys are not the ones you want.
    Hold out and eventually you will get some privateer who will give you a much more realistic quote to haul your stuff.

My last load was from Detroit to Boulder CO for a disassembled E type Jaguar diff in 5 cartons.
    Got quotes of $1600 first up, but dont even reply to those losers, they are gangsters, just hold out and the price will come down with the right hauler.
    I eventually got my cartons hauled for $130 by a woman moving house from the East Coast to Las Vegas, she was picking up and droping off all the way across the country to help cover her gas costs as she had a little extra space in her truck and trailer.

I shipped twice and in both cases this is how things have worked.

In your case as mentioned the issue of handling could scare a few folks off, but just dont play into the hands of those gangsters,
    I figure several of them were working together and one would offer a high price and then another would go even higher to make the first price look not that bad to somebody who is not sure and I guess they successfully rope in timid folks that way.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out for you.

7. Thugs & Gangsters .... :confused:

#2 diesel is $4.09 a gallon on average nationwide.

Most freight is moved by trucks that run on #2 diesel.

Most folks who haul every day do it at very little profit.

Jim

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Lets just keep it in context here.
    I have experiences with Uship and obviously not all transporters are in that category, however there is a mode of operation/scam being run especially on early listings where they try to push the price high.

It is like an auction arrangement and at the end of the day the true price is determined by supply and demand.

My experience is with parts not who cars.

IMHO if he has time on his side he will come out a winner after all he is the customer...

9. Im a registered Auto Hauler and do my bidding thru Uship and I usually charge a dollar a mile so 2K isnt far off.
    As was mentioned above crate it up and contact some LTL carrier like ABF,Holland,Estes and your going to get a cheaper rate.