Register now to get rid of these ads!

Greetings from the Netherlands

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Merc'50, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Merc'50

Merc'50

Hello everyone!
    I'm a 26 year old Dutchy looking to gain knowledge. ;)

Having bought a 1990 Chevy Suburban about 5,5 years ago and driving it down our small roads, I became passionate about the old iron.
    A year ago I've found my dreamcar, a 1950 Mercury. It's a Sport Sedan which had been sitting out in the Texas sun for who knows how many years, giving it a nice patina look. Most of the cars trim is still in place, even in the interior.

Being pretty new to the scene and having slim to no experience in car mechanics, I've decided to join the H.A.M.B to learn from the people who have been where I am now.
    The car is my first project and I plan on doing most of the build myself.
    I am definitely stoked about it.

Now I am sure you are eager to see some pics of the car itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greeting,
    Maarten

2. Hey, Welcome, Thats a pretty straight Mercury. Looks like your patina is heading towards rust. Beter take care of that before you hit the road.

3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car!

Welcome to the HAMB. My wife is a 3rd generation Hollander. Some day, we hope to visit Holland to see if she can locate any of her relatives.

There is a lot of knowledge here and you will have all your questions answered, I'm sure. Enjoy the learning experience!

4. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

Hello ! Welcome to Hamb , Nice car, Those stainless side pieces are priceless. Very difficult to find hang on to them , Bill aka Tnomoldw

5. Welcome from Kansas City, <thumbs up> on the old Merc!

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Greetings Maarten from the west coast of Florida.

That is a very cool find from the great state of Texas.

Is that a bullet hole in the windshield or just from a rock.

One question I do have is how much did it cost to ship the car all the way to your country?

Must be expensive but then again I have never done it.

Best Regards Jimbo

7. LongT

LongT

Welcome from Allentown, PA. Car looks good!!

Bill

8. Merc'50

Merc'50

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

The car sure is straight for a 62 year old. Only a few minor dents and 1 bigger fold in the right rear door, but the doors still close.

@Jimbo
    That is a bullet hole in the windshield, the driver side front window was shot as well. I'm glad they shot the front window and not the rear. I have all the windows new, except for the rear so that has to stay in one piece.
    Shipping was done before I bought it, but it would cost around $800 to ship a car from Texas to the port of Rotterdam in Holland.

9. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:)Im not a guy who likes patina but in your pictures is .... well almost beautiful. If I owned it I think I would have to flaunt it for a time.Maybe even enter it in a car show.GoodLuck with your new car. Watch the movie ''Rebel Without A Cause'' a couple more times.:cool: James Dean was from a place(Fairmont,Indiana) not far from me. He was 7 years 6 days older than me.I was in my 3rd year of High School when he was killed in a road accident. Bill aka Tnomoldw

Attached Files:

10. TRod

TRod

Welcome from Pittsburgh, PA. Looks like a great project. I work for Philips and have been to the Netherlands. Beautiful country and great people. Good luck!

11. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I am from Holland isnt that vweird!.....:D lol I thought it was funny....Sorry :eek: Welcome to the HAMB from AZ!

12. moparjoe

moparjoe

nice merc. i have owned three of them and enjoyed restoring them. put some clear coat on it and cruise. u got any questions i will help all i can

13. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

thats a righteous ride there friend. whats motivating it a 255? very cool.
    oh welcome from DFW!

14. Merc'50

Merc'50

I have a nice 255 Flatty to go with it. It wasn't in the car when I bought it and I have practically no history of the car so I don't know if it's the original engine.
    Apart from the VIN and the title I don't know anything about the history, though I do have two license plates. One Texas plate from 1963 and another from 1966, but that doesn't tell me anything.

15. raymay

raymay

Welcome from New York.

16. Welcome Maarten from Goeree Overflakkee (in the Netherlands)

Nice Mercury, i have a 39 Mercury coupe and used to own a 49 coupe that i sold around 2000.

Groeten Hennie

17. welcome over here.

I'm from N. brabant the netherlands

18. farmer12

farmer12

Welcome from Haarlem! Nice Merc!

19. Welcome from bakersfield ca