Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Of Trucks...Chapter IV...Meditations on Roadhouse

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Mar 8, 2012.

1. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks dude! Unfortunately, that's gonna have to wait a bit. I've got some steering/suspension issues to fix up first since mounting my new tires.

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

New shoes. Don't be jelly. The tire man said (and I quote) "them are the ugliest tars I ever seen". If he only knew...

[​IMG]

These tires are a little wider and a teeny bit taller than the Firestones that came off. This has created a couple of issues that need to be sorted before I can drive again.

1. Fender lips in rear are very close to the sidewall.
    2. Fender lips in front will rub sidewall at full steering lock.
    3. Tie rod ends are very close to sidewall on both sides, nearly touching on the driver side.

So, it looks like I'll be rolling my fenders front and rear. I will also have to heat and bend the tie rod mounts inboard as well as shorten/section the tie rod. The tie rod was an issue on the old tires, although they had more clearance. The driver side just barely rubbed a ring in the sidewall. They're much closer now and need to be moved. I need to get this stuff done soon.

3. Damn Terd, ain't building these old trucks fun? It seems like when you get one problem whipped, up pops another one. I just finished putting a t5 and open drive in my 54 Chevy and the first time I drove it the left front brake caliper stuck. I think it should be an easy fix, but thinking gets me in trouble. Can't wait to see yours on the road.
    Later,
    Dick

4. I hope you replied with, "your mom is ugly." Those are slick. I haven't seen ones with ribs and whites. What are they? Size?

5. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Congrats on being rot free!

Road Kill PU, love the car in your avatar.

6. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Those tires are awesome. No argument there. I'm kinda jealous now..

They look real similar to a wall-hanger I have here, except mine is a full whitewall. Yours is better however.

[​IMG]

7. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

So true Dick. But I'm on the down hill slide now.

The are US Royal Masters in 820/15.

Thanks! Dick's bel air is as cool as his pickup was!

By the way, I always read your screen name as "squirrel nuts", lol. Is that wrong? :D

These were THE go to custom tire in the very late '50s to early '60s. And in my opinion, the most beautiful custom tire ever made.

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Yesterday, I rolled the front fenders with a hammer and a comma dolly. I cut the tie rod to get ready for sectioning it. I went to bend the tie rod mounts, but the torch seemed to be out of oxygen. So that'll have to wait til it gets refilled.

Tonight, I plan on rolling the rear fenders the same way as the front. I had to let the rear end down by unbolting it from the leaf springs to get the tires on back there. Hopefully, rolling the fenders will allow me to get the tires on and off without doing that.

I'm also considering a couple of other custom body mods. More info on those when I figure out if I can do it...

9. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

Cool truck. When you said you were going to roll the fenders, I thought you meant with a baseball bat. Old guy younger than me showed me how to do that. It works no joke.

10. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Good to see TERD. Very happy and proud of you dude.

11. Muttley

Muttley

Thats exactly how I felt after stuffing my face at last weeks Super Bowl party. ;)

12. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

You should try out a truck with the big rear window before you pull the trigger on that. Make sure you drive it at night, like from an event with traffic.

13. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I've heard of that. But, I don't have a bat. And if I did, it wouldn't fit between tire and fender. So I did the next best thing with the comma dolly and a hammer. Anyway, it gave me at least another half inch of clearance. And the edge is now rounded instead of flat and razor sharp, just in case there is contact from suspension movement up front while turning.

Thanks.

14. I agree. I didn't real all eighteen(!) pages, but any one who:
    1. Would give a Riviera to a bum
    2. Leave another in a honky tonk parking lot to get the shit beat out of it
    3. Thinks a Mercedes is cooler than a Riv
    is a dick in my book.

15. That's an old trick. Not as easy as it sounds.

16. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I had a big back window on my old '63 and I loved it. I like the fishbowl look.

17. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Last night I got the rear fenders rolled. I got an extra 1/2" or so clearance all the way around now. My buddy Shawn helped me get some slop out of my steering wheel. And I did some chopper shit.

I still have to work out getting some more oxygen for the torch so I can finish up the tie rod and mounts.

I gotta say, my club's shop nights on Wednesday are awesome. I often manage to get stuff done, but even when I don't I have a blast! I love my club bros and friends!!

18. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I like the big window look too, but I hate how headlights from the rear can "light up" the cab & everyone in it (my dad had a big window 57 after his small window 59)

19. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

The truck is finally back on the road. Not having gas in the torch was the major holdup. I finally got some. Jeremy and I bent the tie rod mounts inboard last Wednesday. We got the tie rod sectioned and the toe measured and set today. The hood is back on too.

We found a couple of things to tighten up in the steering too. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's the good tires or the adjustments, but it drives like a different truck. No more steering play and no more wandering all over the road.

Pics tomorrow...

Now that I'm driving again, the bike is coming apart for paint and plating. But at the same time, I'll be continuing progress on the truck.

Here's what's left for the most part...
    filler bodywork and paint
    interior paint and upholstery
    some odds and ends, like nail down designs for bumpers, french some lights in the rear fenders, all new stuff inside the doors, some steel pack mufflers and such

I think I'm going to start with getting the interior ready for paint and then painting it the same single stage white as the inner fenders and firewall. That's a nice safe play and I get to put off the filler bodywork for a little longer.

I really think I'm going to leave the filler and paint for last. Mostly in case I go through with the plans for the roof swap. I can remove the carpet, panels, and seat (when I get them) to keep the new stuff coming from getting jacked up during filler sanding.

So, I guess stay tuned for the next chapter that will cover the interior...

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

[​IMG]

After driving a bit, I can report that rolling the fenders has worked. Even though these tires a little wider than the old ones, there is no rubbing on the fenders from lock to lock. No tie rod issues either.

21. Lookin' good! That thing sits sooo right. I'm diggin the skinny whites (and ribs even though you can't make 'em out in this pic).
    I may be heading to AutoFair. Let me know if you want the big back window section to tag along with me.
    Keep up the good work!

22. Muttley

Muttley

That is a great looking truck. The little side pipes fit perfectly, did they have to be modified or did you just get lucky? All you need now is this outfit and you are set to hit the streets.

[​IMG]

23. Nice work, Fergie! Looking forward to laying an eye on it in a couple weeks!

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

24. dubie

dubie

It's nice to see more progress pics man. The truck sits so nice!!

25. slammed

slammed

THAT is a Stance!! It looks great, Ferg!!

26. I gotta do one of my lower door bottoms im scared lol trucks looking killer

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That truck is so dreamy.. So right on.

28. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Looks great dude! Love those tires!

29. I can see it coming together very well, I hope you are proud of yourself! :)

30. slammed

slammed

Ferg, y'all ok out there?