Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where to put my X Member 34 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Window Licker, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Window Licker

Window Licker

Im having trouble determining where my x member needs to be for my 40 ford pedals to work out. Ill be running a manual trans so i need both clutch and brake. I have a x member from ionia hot rod shop. Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

2. I'm sure someone will chime in with hands on info from a build like yours but from what I've been thru , id mock up the pedals using the clutch to align where it needs to be to actuate and set your cross to that , better than setting the cross and trying to get things to line up after , a light tack weld is all ya need till its set where you want it :), good luck

3. Window Licker

Window Licker

yeah im guess thats how it goes, im just hoping someone has a magic formula.

im not sure where the pedals need to end up with respect to the fire wall. anyone that might have pictures would help a ton.

4. Window Licker

Window Licker

Anyone this morning?

5. Window Licker

Window Licker

6. alchemy

alchemy

Tack weld the X, bolt in the pedals, set the cowl on there and see how it fits. Then you'll know if it needs to be moved. That's the ONLY way to do it. There are too many variables otherwise.

7. Window Licker

Window Licker

Thats what i was trying to avoid. Ill have to put the cowl and the firewall together and try to get it mounted up. I was hoping someone might have a stock chassis they could get some measurements off of.

Thanks for the tip

8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

FWIW--I'm running 34 rails with a 32 front crossmember and 40 x member for my 34 PU. the pivot point on the pedal arms is approximately 44 inches back from the top rear fender mount hole (tried to find a good universal frame of reference). I don't have the body on yet, but I've got the cab front and back markedout and it seems to put the pedal where it needs to be.

9. 343WINDOW

343WINDOW

I just picked up a pedal kit from Pete & Jake's. It looks and fits great...<TABLE style="WIDTH: 850px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; HEIGHT: 50px" id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_dv_Product class=gv_Cat border=0 cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=middle align=left><TD vAlign=middle align=left>Part # </TD><TD>4010HC</TD></TR><TR class=gv_Cat vAlign=middle align=left><TD vAlign=middle align=left>Name </TD><TD>1933-34 Hydrolic Clutch and Brake kit (original X-member)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=middle align=left><TD vAlign=middle align=left></TD><TD style="WIDTH: 560px"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE style="WIDTH: 850px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; HEIGHT: 50px" id=ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_dv_Product class=gv_Cat border=0 cellSpacing=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=middle align=left><TD vAlign=middle align=left>Part # </TD><TD>4010HC</TD></TR><TR class=gv_Cat vAlign=middle align=left><TD vAlign=middle align=left>Name </TD><TD>1933-34 Hydrolic Clutch and Brake kit (original X-member)</TD></TR><TR vAlign=middle align=left><TD vAlign=middle align=left></TD><TD style="WIDTH: 560px"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    part #4010HC 1933-34 Hydrolic Clutch and Brake kit (original X-member) cost $360

10. Window Licker

Window Licker

thats about 1/2 inch from where i have it mocked up thanks.

11. Window Licker

Window Licker

Ill deffinately check that out. I have a 40 pedal assy right now but ill have to fab provisions for a clutch release mechanism whether it be hydraulic cable or mechanical

12. racemad55

racemad55

Ionia didn't give measurements or instructions?

13. Window Licker

Window Licker

They said call if i had any questions that they would be more than happy to answer. Ionia's service is more than outstanding.

their cross member is intended for a 32 frame if im not mistaken. i wasnt sure they would have the answers i was looking for.

plus falconsprint already confirmed.

14. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I have to admit I got lucky on placement. I assembled the perimeter chassis then places the x member where it fit and looked right. after that was done I marked out where the cab would be and with the motor and trans in everything works out nicely. I was actually planning a swing pedal orginally, but it looks good where it landed.

15. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I gotta admit I got lucky. I assembled my perimeter chassis (34 rails set to 32 width dimensions) then dropped the x member in where it looked right and fit well. after that was done I marked out where the cab was. I'd originally planned for swing pedals but after the motor and trans were in I decide to see if the original location would work and "TA DA" it all lined up and looked right--almost like I planned it :D:D:D

16. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

Are you using a stock floor? Are you building the floor? Is the k member the same radius as stock?

If you are starting from scratch, bolt the pedals to the k memeber and make sure thet clear the headers/shift linkage/and steering linkage.