Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Illinois Title Issues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by eisenhower34, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Plowboy

Plowboy

I sent in the title for the '34 I just picked up about 3 weeks ago. It was an Illinois Title that was issued in 1975. Along with it I sent pics of the car showing it was steel and on an original frame, as well as a professional appraisal on the dealer's letterhead. I received the actual legit title in my name on Saturday. There was nothing stated about needing an inspection or anything. I think this may be because it was an Illinois Title and not and out of state one, although the pound of paper I sent along with it may have helped as well.

2. rpol7966

rpol7966

Plowboy, You are very fortunate to have received your title without a big hassle from Springfield. I think you did well by supplying all the documentation with your application. I'm still surprised that you had such a smooth transaction.
    I have 3 friends who have run into a stone wall dealing with the Secretary of State. One had title and license in hand for his '40 Ford pickup. The SOS showed up at his shop and made him surrender both title and plates. He had gone through a source in Alabama to get his title. The SOS reviewed this procedure and deemed it illegal.
    The second man has his '32 Ford with a legible VIN on the original frame, had the car in his name but lost the title through misplaced paper work. The SOS will not allow him to apply for a lost title. He is supposed to file for a bonded title.
    The third man has applied for a title for his '47 Ford. He surrendered a legit title to SOS. They cashed his check and now are forcing him to apply for a bonded title.

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

From what I'm hearing and understanding, unless those titles come with a frame that has a matching number, and an engine that has a matching number, you may be correct in thinking you now have wall art. You might also want to run the title numbers through the DMV and be sure there is not an issue with the numbers. I'd think I wouldn't want the state of IL to find out I had a stack of open titles in my possession. Gene

4. Buddy stewart

Buddy stewart
    from IL

Update State of IL thinks they know what is good for you and you should say great.
    So this is the update EVERY CAR PRE 48 THAT COMES INTO THE STATE OF IL WILL BE LOOKED AT AND AS REPORTED BEFORE IF YOUR ENGINE DOES NOT MATCH THE VIN# YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE TO RE TITLE IT PERIOD END OF STORY. PAY PAY PAY..
    ALL AND ANYTHING ELSE HAS TO BE RE TITLED. THE DMV TELLS ME OTHER STATES DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS AND THIS IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO FOR YOU. F,U. EVERYONE IN IL. SHOULD RE-REGISTER IN A HOTROD FRIENDLY STATE DOESN'T YOUR BUDDY HAVE A SUMMER HOME OR A WINTER HOME LIKE IN AZ STATE. I HAVE LIVED IN IL ALL MY LIFE AND THE STATE SUCKS AND IS FULL OF CORRUPTION. PULL ALL THE THE HOTROD REGISTRATIONS AND MOVE THEM OUT OF STATE WISC WOULD LOVE THE MONEY AS WOULD AZ AND OTHER STATES YOU CAN DO THIS AND GET THE RENEWALS SENT TO YOU IN IL. THE STATE OF IL IS SCREWING ALL OF THE HOTRODERS IT IS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY WHAT THE F DOES THE ENGINE HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING
    SMALL BLOCK BIG BLOCK IT'S A V8...THEY TALK TO YOU LIKE YOUR A GUILTY MF ER FIRST.
    THE PLAN IS TO START WITH PRE 49 AND THEN MOVE TO 50s CARS AND THEN 60s CARS. IF YOU HAVE YOUR CAR TITLED IN AZ WITH NO FUNNY PAPER WORK
    YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO DO THIS ALSO WHEN YOU BRING THE CAR TO IL OR FROM ANY STATE IN THE USA. DOUBLE DIPPING IS THE FACT.
    OBAMA IS FROM IL GET IT NOW SEE THE CHANGE......
    DON'T GIVE THEM MONEY NO MATTER WHAT DON'T GIVE IN. AND IF YOU DO GIVE IN THE TITLE YOU GET WILL SAY DA VIKY OR RATS GLASS OR SOME MADE UP NAME OF SOME CAR THAT WAS NEVER MADE IN THE FIRST PLACE.
    WHAT IS WRONG WITH AN ALL STEEL CAR THAT HENRY BUILT AND YOU REPLACE THE ENGINE IN IT. NOOO YOUR A CRIMINAL IN THE EYE OF A CRIMINAL...SORRY IF I SOUND PIST OFF....I'M GUILTY OF BEING AN AMERICAN AND THATS ALL STAND UP AND BE A MAN. SHEEP BECOME FOOD THIS IS THE START OF THE END

5. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Just run around with a dealer plate, it's easier that way.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

UM, yea, thanks for that, it helps a lot.

Welcome to the HAMB.
    Gene

7. Buddy stewart

Buddy stewart
    from IL

Do what they do in the crib run the the stolen temp plate and then get your food for free in jail. You know what i'm say in bro.

8. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I Just transfered the title on my '50 turned in all paperwork on Monday stapled a copy of Bill of sale to my RUT -50 form and Got my Title back on Friday

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Doh '51
    here is how they got me though eventhough the car was inoperable till now My plates expire in march of 2011 I paid for a year of registration but its only good till March? Because I actually bouth the car in March they said

10. flatford39

flatford39

OK, So if I have friends in Oregon or Wisconsin can I get my titles transfered to those states and run Oregon or Wisconsin plates on my rides here in Illinois. I have a 30 Vicky titled in my name that has been in storage since 1968. It is an Illinois Title. It has been not been licensed in any of this time. I am sure the frame numbers don't match as I swapped frame out 25 years ago. I also have a frame numbers matching title for my 31 roadster. It is an Illinois tile but not transferred into my name. What can I expect to encounter when I apply for plates??

Also I am building a 28 1 ton truck that I don't have a title for. I can get one from Pa. Should I buy it and have it transferred to Wisconsin or Oregon and buy my plates from them.

Sorry but this is pretty confusing.

I am not sure what a bonded title means.

11. Hard to $tay ahead of 'em...what are you doing about wheel covers?

12. Buddy stewart

Buddy stewart
    from IL

Looks like it is time for a flat head with Vin# pull the small block and save it for the Fairlane.

13. Buddy stewart

Buddy stewart
    from IL

The thing with bonded crap they want the car done so you pay more Tax Based on value. Next car i do if i do anymore will not have paint windows nothing but what is needed to pass the BS with the state LOW value Low Tax This is a game we are in with the state Games are for Kids.

14. Buddy stewart

Buddy stewart
    from IL

And you get to pay Tax on your own labor ,,,,,,,GREAT I LOVE THIS STUFF
    CANADA THE CAR THING IS OVER SPEED OVER 100MPH YOUR CAR IS GONE FOR GOOD NEVER TO GET IT BACK

15. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

From what I understand, your 30 Vicky is titled in your name in the state of IL, all you need to do should be buy plates.

As far as the 31 Roadster, if all the numbers match up, you should be able to transfer that title to your name, be sure you have a bill of sale with the title #s and a very recent date when you go in to transfer it to your name. You may have to prove the title numbers match the frame numbers, hopefully they are readable.

With the 28, just save yourself a bunch of problems, and go with the bonded title, after your all done with it, the state will issue a vin # for the vehicle you are creating. The bond simply covers the state from liability in case someone shows up with paperwork for your new creation. After 3 years, that bonded title becomes the final document for that vehicle you created, and will be the complete title there after. What ever you do, don't take all 3 in at the same time, or withing a short period of time or you will have issues, seems the state flags anything that happens in groups of more then 1 within a short time.

As far as getting a car titled and plated in a different state then driven in IL, you are suppose to get an IL title and plates for any car brought into IL from another state within 3 months of being an IL resident. To have a car plated elsewhere, driven in IL, the owner must still be a resident of the state the car is plated in. You may not ever have an issue, but then again, you will be pushing your luck waiting for the day some new cop wants to earn points with higher ups.

Good luck, and let us know what happens, seems IL is still a bit inconsistent. Gene

16. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

i just titled my 65 mustang just to get it in my name. the state sent me a letter said i owed $1075. i called down state and the lady was nice and said there computer automaticaly send s the letters out based on what the car should be worth. i just had to send in my bill of sale and she would take care of it. She said they had a lot of people calling because of this happening and most cars are projects and not redone....jones

17. Stick Shift

Stick Shift
    from LENA IL

I just my letter a couple of weeks ago. I think I owe them just under $1000 now. I sent a receipt and a current pic of the car the first time. Now they want picture, receipt and an appraisal of the car. AFter talking to a few people yesterday at the Symco Shakedown I hope this is all I need to do now.

18. Buddy stewart

Buddy stewart
    from IL

If i rent a summer home in Wisc and want to keep the car there and need to drive in IL a few times. I don't see anything illegal. NEXT has anyone done the bonded title thing can you tell me what was put on the title Ford, Chevy,Dodge or home made custom lumber wagon and is this a glass car or a steel car. Thanks This is getting old i just want to drive the car and be left alone. Do you see anyone else in other states crying about this...??

19. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Dun Dun Dun, tomorrow at 3PM, investigator is coming, Dun Dun Dun......................

20. Ok, end of story. I'll recap for you. June 2010 I buy a 34 coupe from California, clean 34 Ca. title. I take the title and bill of sale to the local S.O.S. DMV. I pay the tax for the bill of sale price and apply for a transfer of my antique plates. I get my new vehicle regestration in weeks. I called the SOS after a couple of months "wheres my title". The're a bit behind and they'll be processing it soon. I get a letter stating that I need to have the VIN verified. Me and my car are in Florida at the time. I get a Fla. state form and take a picture of my VIN on the frame and send it to Illinois. I get a letter from the IL. SOS that the VIN has characters not consistant with the year of VIN ( 1's,6's and 9's ). I get another letter stating my plates are suspended due to a re-stamped VIN. ( the VIN is original and proper). I call the SOS of IL and they send a title bonding kit. Well I get busy, traveling cross country in the coupe, long haul power tour and others. Mom has a stroke and get back to IL. I make my list of stuff I really need to get done, including going through the process of getting a bonded title for the coupe. Well, yesterday,15 months later, I get the title for the 34 in the mail. A proper State of Illinois title, not a bonded title, no funky VIN on my car. So, pay the appropriate tax and get a title, I did.

21. mj40's

mj40's

If Illinois doesn't have a Automotive Lobbying Council, it should. If you do, it's time to work with them on your issues. We formed one in Idaho back in 1979 to address such issues as these with the state and DMV. We worked closely with the DMV and law enforcement to correct the same issues. We passed several laws thru our legislature to help the collector car hobbyist and to give our organization a name in the state. Today they come to us for help when changes need to be made in auto related issues. Talk goes a long way with management.

22. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I have a 56 F100 that I bought about 30 years ago for $150 that I never titled. I have the signed title dated 1979 from the seller. (dated when the seller bought it, not when he sold it to me)
    The title was issued to XXX XXX D/B/A XXX Auto Company. When I bought the truck the guy signed the title XXX Auto Company By XXX XXX. He did not fill in the date of sale when he signed the title.
    Everything should have been good to go if I had titled the truck when I got it. I didn't. After all these years I'm finally getting ready to build the truck. I figure I'll have a few issues to contend with....
    Potential problem 1. I do not have a bill of sale showing the sales price. I'm hoping that if I provide pictures of the truck in it's current condition that I might get away without having to pay for an appraisal.
    The gentleman I bought it from recently passed away so there's no going back for a written receipt.
    Potential problem 2. The XXX Auto Company the seller was D/B/A was primarily a junk yard. He also occasionally did auto repair. This is NOT a salvage title. It's clearly titled to him DBA XXX Auto CO. (In IL unincorporated businesses often title vehicles to their owners DBA (doing business as). If he had been incorporated the truck would have been titled to the corp). This in itself shouldn't be a problem......unless the SOS decides to see what type of business XXX Auto Company was. They may or may not find that it was primarily a junk yard. What they are likely to turn up is his son currently runs XXX (same name) Auto SALES.
    Potential problem 3. I know of instances many years ago where the SOS charged people license fees for all the years a vehicle had an open title. That would exceed the value of my truck.
    I know I should have transferred the title when I bought the truck. Now I'm looking to get it done in a way that the state won't come back on me for more taxes or revoke my title or plates. Oh, and I want to do it as economically as possible.
    What should I do? I'm not gonna lie, but I'm not gonna offer the SOS more info than they ask for.
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
    Pops

23. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

If you have an original signed title for your 56 truck, and the numbers match the numbers on the truck, go to your local sos office and transfer your title and get plates. The standard tax on anything older then 10 or 15 years old is suppose to be $25. They are watching 48 & older cars & trucks right now. Your truck should fly through under the radar.

The issue you have coming up in about 6 months will be when the Department of Revenue tries to gouge you for more. Without a bill of sale, you may have to pay more tax, don't suppose the previous owners son might write up a bill of sale? You may want/need to have the truck appraised, under a certain value, the tax still stands at $25 (don't know where that value stands). Usually, if your backed up with a bill of sale or an approved appraisal, the state backs off the more tax demand.

As far as not being transferred years ago, how would the state know when you bought the truck? You could have bought it the day before he died, and they probably are not going to check to see if the guy is dead or alive. Should they question you, tell them you were working on the truck and it wasn't drivable, and you thought it had to be drivable to get it licensed. I would be surprised if they questioned you unless the clerk knew the guy or the company. Gene

24. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

The state of Illinois is practicing extortion and sending out notices demanding payment for back taxes owed on your collector car. I had a 63 suburban junker. A year after selling it they sent me a letter demanding almost $1000 plus interest claiming the vehicle was worth $15,000. The only way to get out of it is you have to have the original bill of sale with the price paid, or have the vehicle professionally appraised. They intentionally wait a couple years after you buy the car to send the letter. I've heard some people pay up for fear of losing their license and other fines. A year after selling my 1960 corvair they sent out the same letter demanding money. Weird part is for any vehicle pre 1980 the state charges a flat fee not based upon purchase price for a title and reg. How is this legal?

25. 54rat210

54rat210

I agree. Theres more than 1 way to skin a cat.

26. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

The Ill-annoys crooks pulled a similar extortion stunt on me when I registered and titled my '51 Merc in 2011, claiming I owed them thousands of dollars. I sent them pictures of the car from the day I bought it, a bill of sale, and a letter that described the vehicle's condition. I had to show them the vehicle was not a fully restored $40K show car that they assumed I purchased, but rather a car that hadn't been driven in 30 years because it was missing a few small items like engine, transmission, interior. I ended the letter with "I did not owe them any additional taxes because the purchase price and condition is documented, and I now consider this matter closed". A few weeks later I received a letter that stated I did not owe any additional money.

27. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

If you don't mind posting that in this thread too. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515401 I'm kind of keeping a tally going. I am actually working in the Illinois dept of Revenue building now. But I work for the SOS I am trying to find where these letters originate from. One gal told me to keep from getting "the letter" you must submit a Bill of Sale signed by both parties.

28. PoRodder

PoRodder
    from St. Louis

I know this is an ancient thread, but I used the search feature. Is this VIN checking, title pulling, and inspecting still going on in Illinois?

29. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

For the most part they seemed to have backed off on that. I'm not going to say they don't ever do it anymore but I haven't heard of any for a few years. If you have a title issued from another state (or Illinois) and you just need to have it transferred to your name, you probably wont have any problems.

I should also add: Make sure to supply a copy of a bill of sale with your RUT-50 form and keep a copy handy for when they "Lose" the one you originally supply and try to tax the shit out of you later.