Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

This build just plan rocks. I can remember ,me and a buddy riding the back roads of Anderson as teenagers thinking we would see that coupe in a shed out back, or maybe even for sale. HA!! So cool to see it coming back to life. CAnt wait to see it run again.

2. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Here's a quick video of Gene once he sat in the drivers seat for the first time since Quain had finished it. Lots of folks were there to see it happen, including Quain's brother,former Pro Mod standout Mitch Stott. Gene Fulton, Palmetto Rod Worx crew, HAMBr Gene Copeland, and of course Cromer's right hand man, Melvin, plus many many more. Good times for sure!

Here's a link to one of the videos from yesterday
    http://vimeo.com/59358204

3. dirt42

dirt42

Just keeps getting better......

4. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Will do HRP. Wish you could have came by yesterday.

5. Brenda & I watched both videos several over and we are both so happy for you Gene.:)

Everyone has been so supportive of this restoration it has become big news around the country, not just our area.

Looking forward to seeing you soon. HRP

6. Me too! HRP

7. I love it!! Sure wish I could have been there to see it!! I WILL be making a trip south to see it this summer!!!

8. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome work! The compliments are well deserved. The look on Mr. Cromers face says it all.

9. 55Belairman

55Belairman

Great story. I am glad to see this restoration and the rejoining of these two legends. Well done Quain, and I am waiting to see Gene moving under "the real power".

10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Thank's Darren now if we can get Gene and Melvin on video telling some old racing tales.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  11. Thanks Darren for the videos They were great.You shared the thrill of the day with those of us that were to far away to be there.
    I heard some one say not to get to far away like a babies first step. (no brakes)
    My grandfather told me along time ago... that sex was like riding a bicycle.
    you might not do it for awhile but you never forget how to do it.

I can imagine in that short ride Gene launched , peddled, had the throttle buried to the floor and put a couple of more competitors on the trailer as he made the turn onto the return .. I mean driveway to the shop.
    You never forget....

12. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Yep it was awesome! As HRP has already posted here is the link to the ride.
    http://vimeo.com/59358203

Quain and I will be making several trips to Anderson and plan on getting some videos of Gene and Melvin telling stories.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  13. AHotRod

AHotRod

We have all been Blessed in getting the opportunity to share this life experiance with Gene and Quain.
    The video's show the graditude, appreciation and friendships that have been born with this resurrection.
    God Bless you all.

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Amen to that!

15. The Discovery channel should be doing documentaries on this stuff !

16. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

man im going to miss the updates---hope we dont have to wait too long for more great stuff ---u did a great job on this car quain---im in awe---never saw it run---but i cant wait to hear her fire up

17. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

This is awesome! Can't wait to see the final product!

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I couldn't stand it I had to post something to night. Here's a few pics of the Moonlighter as it was ran just before it was parked. This will explain why it's in primer now.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is with the flip front end and the car lowered a little in front. Note the same trailer that he picked it up from my shop a few post back only he had added the side railing and changed the wheels.[​IMG]

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Here she is digging in, you can see a little bit of an anglia in the other lane and the dude with his helmet on behind the car he's ready to go.[​IMG]

21. Keep them coming Quain. Any idea why the car was repainted/primered? Was it possibly crashed or was it to match a new front end?

Also, it appears the rear wheels are flipped I assume to get the proper back spacing?

22. Quain,I don't think I have ever seen the second photo before,,I guess I'm just too old school because I absolutely love the 5 spokes and really happy that you guys decided to go back with them. HRP

23. dmc3113

dmc3113

Picture is dated May 1965. I wonder if this is from the Greenville International Drag Race that was run at the old Donaldson AFB in Greenville, SC?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I think it was to match the new front end. Gene still has the old front end it's still blue with the stickers on it and all. There is a pic that Frank Taylor posted a few back with the new front end on it with the rest of the car blue. When he went from the 8 wide to 10 wide he didn't like them sticking out from under the fenders.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Post 134 has a shot of the old front as we took it out of the barn. The old hood is setting on the one piece front end.

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Me to, Gene still has the front 4 lug Halibrands but hunted down some 5 spokes anyway.

Mtn Goat likes this.
  27. Quain ... Someone needs to print these pictures for Henderson. I'm sure there is alot of people that would buy them. That is one super shot of moonlighter.

28. It's great to look back at page one and see just how far the car has come in a short time. Nice goin' Quain!

29. TennesseeZ

TennesseeZ

Quain, I found this thread yesterday and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it, much respect for your outstanding work, innovation, blending of the required new seamlessly with the original, and obvious love for the history of the sport/hobby. This is a beautiful thing you are doing. Brings back memories of Blaney and Pelion as a kid........ Yeah I grew up in a 'lil place called Dentsville.