Register now to get rid of these ads!

Looking at taking a 63 Falcon Convertible in trade. Value?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wdglide, Feb 11, 2013.

1. wdglide

wdglide

I know this is a very open ended request. But I'm not very familiar with Falcons. I've always liked the look of them, but never been around these early ones.

Its a straight six, looks pretty solid. Should there be anything in particular I should look for.

Again, thanks for your time and putting up with my ignorance on this.

Phil

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a pretty nice car.
    Look for rust in the lower edges of the doors, the rear fenders along the lip, the rear quarters down low, and the bottom of the chassis area where the front of the leaf springs attach. also pull up the bottom of the rear seat and look for rust in the floor under the seat. Those are the man area I have encountered.

3. wdglide

wdglide

Would/could the value be over $8k?

4. It looks to be , as you said, Six with an auto. Not a huge demand but it would be in the area of 5 to 7 K if it has no rust.
    Look at the floors in the dr and Pas front. Check the foot well in the rear. Also check to see if the sound deadening is still in place in the trunk. ( Denotes a wreck ) if it is missing.

5. wdglide

wdglide

Thanks guys.

6. What are you trading? HRP

7. wdglide

wdglide

8. dutch nola

dutch nola

Had a few over the years, played with the rancheros had a couple 63’s. Fun cars cheap and easy the thing that bugs me is that mess under the drivers tail light. If that is acceptable to him what other worms are you gonna find?
    The car would be much more useable than what you are trading, value is about what and what but your jeep looks to be finished much better.

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

If primo $10-12k, average $7-8K rusty $5K. Nice restored falcons bring $20K + in the LA area.

10. wdglide

wdglide

Its a straight trade. And thanks to you guys, I'm realizing its fair but not a great deal.

11. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it has a 4 speed with the 6 it is kinda rare but if the tranny needs repair figure big bucks. If memory serves me correctly the 4 speeds behind the 6's were made in England.

12. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I don't have an opinion, but I do like your Jeep®.

13. modeltford

modeltford

Yes on both counts - 4-speeds are Brit, pretty rare, and a expensive weak link!

Rich

14. Nice 76A Futura Convertible.

I gotta' go along with the $5-7K value...'course it's kind'a hard to see it from here.

Another spot to look for rust is the toe boards n' front floors, pull the carpet up if ya' can and look.

Yeah, the 4 speed was a Dagenham.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  15. haring

haring

I've been a member of the Falcon Club of America for a long time and get their monthly newsletter. I think the quotes have been low for a nice clean convertible. The "member" price to other FCA members would be closer to $10-11K from what I've been watching. But it all depends on condition, location, and interest. Falcons are easy to maintain and parts are some of the least expensive of any classic. I would do the trade, but you've got to do what excites you.

16. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

Worth no more than $8-9K for a 6 cyl. If it has bucket seats, perhaps a bit more.

17. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As stated, if there are no rust problems sounds very reasonable. One flag seen in the pics you posted is the body work surrounding the left taillight. Did the body person fall asleep in that area or are there other trouble areas as well?

Attached Files:

18. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Yup. With that being the only close-up pic, and showing obvious hasty repairs, I would be looking this one over very closely.

The value is all about rust and quality of repairs on this one. I think the two words that get people in the deepest trouble with vintage cars is "rust and unibody".

19. wdglide

wdglide

Thanks again. Ain't gonna do it.

20. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

I have a bunch of falcons and like stated.......front crossmember under radiator, torque boxes, rockers, rockers and did I say rockers. Floor pans, toe boards, rear frame where shackles attach, rear torque boxes, trunk drop offs, outer wheel houses, door bottoms, fender bottoms, cowl(lower). Theses cars are fun to have, very available parts and they are NOT a mustang. The engine compartment is 1 inch narrower so don't believe people when they say mustang steering fits....it doesn't. Mustang suspension is actually falcon so that works but centerlink and steering is a no go. Cowl can be a timely repair but is doable. 6 cyl four speeds were junk unless not abused or rebuilt. Looks like a nice car but fine tooth comb should be exercised in this case.....especially a convertible. Some not so honest people polish shit and sell it as restored and then there are truly honest people........you be the judge. Hopefully its not after it hits your wallet that you find out. Have a great day. BART.

21. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

prices are all over the map on these. and the drop top helps--and hurts it. you might find one as cheap as $3500, but there two here in the winston salem area advertised at 15k and another that was on the market for ages at 12k.

if it's pretty solid I'd say that 6-8k range is probably a good price point unless a lot of work has been done. ie new top, interior,rubber etc.

there're fun. I miss my sprint HT. wish I'd never sold it.

22. Personally,I have always like this model Falcon,,but not the convertible. HRP

23. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

x2 what HRP said..... I just ain't into convertibles. If you own one in your life that will be the only one you ever own. my 2 cents...

24. wdglide

wdglide

Agree! and I have already owned one. I decided against the trade, for multiple reasons.

Thanks for all your help!

25. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Just the opposite for me. Once you own one, you'll always want another one later. It had been awhile since I had a drop top, so I bought a '63 Falcon Sprint 'vert. I LOVE IT!!

Nothing like cruizin' early in the morning or late in the evening with the top down and the music playin'.