Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Spring Carlisle vs Charlotte Auto Fair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Feb 6, 2013.

1. 5window

5window

I have an opportunity this year to consider the Charlotte (NC) Auto Fair (April 4-7), though I typically go to the Spring Carlisle event. Spring Carlisle is getting kind of lame from a hotrod standpoint now that I have the bulk of my build parts. I live 80 miles from Carlisle, but 8-10 hours from Charlotte. So, I am wondering if anyone has recent knowledge about the Charlotte fair so I can judge of it's worth the trip.

Thanks for the input.

2. I know that this does not really answer your question about which one to do exactly, but I have done the spring & fall Carlisle every year for the past 30+ years now and every year it gets a little less worth the trip, time and money. Almost no vintage Hot Rod or Kustom stuff anymore (might be there, but finding it ???). I would love to do the Charlotte Fair for a change, have heard that it's pretty good.
    Just for something to do before then you might want to check out the parts meet put on by the Sugarloaf Mt. region AACA club at Westminster, MD this year (new site, same meet for their 47th year and not much farther down the road than Carlisle). It's much much smaller with only about 75+ vendors, but there is usually a couple neat old Hot Rod items to find. Plus some good people, good food and a nice new large building this year.
    Check it out March 28th, 29th & 30th. Westminster, Md new Agriculture Center grounds.

3. ems customer service

ems customer service

goto charlotte it is fun and different than carlise and the weather is warmer

4. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

I have been going to Carlisle for over 30 years and I attended my final Spring Carlisle last year, I will not go back.
    I can accomplish more on the computer in my kitchen in an hour than can be done in a day at Carlisle.
    As I have recently moved to North Carolina I will be headed to Charlotte this Spring. To me Carlisle is now a waste of time, this coming from a person that used to look forward to it every year.
    Most of the cars and parts at Carlisle are over priced picked over junk.

5. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

I would vote for Charlotte as well. Warmer weather and more a chance to find good deals. Carlisle has become so expensive for the sellers that there are less and less vendors selling "old iron" and more and more people selling T shirts and die cast cars.

6. Never hurts to try something NEW. I think a o lot of us fall into the habit of going to the same events each year.

7. exactly !

8. I have did spring and fall carlise for over 30 years vendor from 78 to 2001 and I have went the last couple if nothing else to do. Charlotte is a 7 hr. trip for me and I already have my room. I wouldn't miss it. Its a long haul for you but If you go there you will figure it out.

9. 5window

5window

Thanks, Charlotte sounds like a plan. I do Carlisle because it's Spring and I'm itchy, but it's getting disappointing. I have enough T shirts and socks and the materials guys i used to go to/need are no longer there.

10. Been vending @ Spring and Fall Carlisle for about 20 years - both are best (depending on your wants and the needs of others if vending) on Wed-Th-Fr - Wed-Th I sell much of my stuff to other vendors, getting what I wanted out of it and movin on. Sat is a bust and I don't stay for it any more. If Friday is not too good weather/traffic wise I'm out of there by noon as well.

I've sold a lot of stuff @ both Carlisles over the years - but the times are a changing. My buddy and I usually bring alot of the old stuff from Model T on up - heavy iron, sheetmetal, etc. It all depends but I really go to both more for the social part of it, meeting up with many of my buds from where I used to live and just hanging out.

Been doing Charlotte as a bonzai 1-day run with a friend or 2, usually on Friday, the last couple of years. I've picked up some interesting stuff - it's just different, a new place to explore, and it "seems" to have more of the old stuff but then again, I know where to look for that stuff @ both Carlisles ....

11. I go to Charlotte spring and fall shows every year and its a great swap meet. I go and sell and usually come home with more than I took. Feel free to hit me up while your down, its always cool to meet other Hambers.

12. Never been to Carlisle but been going to Charlotte for over 30 years,,sometimes I score some great parts,,so years I don't.

You don't find any $125.00 Deuce grill shells anymore.:rolleyes: HRP

13. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

I go to Carlisle since it's 7 miles down the road. I find what I'm looking for most of the time.

14. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Same here. I live about as close as you and I still enjoy Carlisle after going there for 30 years.
    Dave Gray

15. I've gone to both.
    If I was forced to make a decision it would be NC hands down.

16. jeepers00creepers

jeepers00creepers

I'm thinking I may try Charlotte this year as I was unable to last year. I did actually find more last spring than I could afford at Carlisle. However, the year before I found nothing.

17. Joe Bassett

Joe Bassett
    from usa

fall carlise was a joke I have gone to fall carlise for years will not go back

18. micky69

micky69
    from Ohio

Spring Charlotte wins hands down for me. A lot nicer show to find stuff.

19. I've been to both the last three years, and as above, Charlotte wins hands down!

20. Would you believe when Charlotte started, it was put on by the Model A folks,,,,$1.00 to get in and free parking :eek:,,,,but it was more of a show then,,,:)

21. evol55

evol55

I live in Carlisle and have went to the Charlotte Auto Fair a couple of times. The auto fair is ten times better than Carlisle. The prices are good the people are nice and the area is great to visit. I rather drive 6hrs and come back with all kinds of parts than walk 6rs around Carlisle and not see shit.

22. dusterdave173

dusterdave173

I live 20 minutes from the Charlotte show--have gone every year. The knock is same ole dealers in same ole spaces just showing up to sell enough to cover the spots --see old friends--poke around and make a trade or two--many inside spots are bought just for easy parking IMO--Now the good part is the flea keeps on growing--all of the "newest" spots outside the speedway contain what I think are the "rookies", Johnny Come Last, and recently divorced guys that really Need to sell or really don't understand that most sales will be to other vendors SO..the outside spots can be scanned for great deals, the inside spots are often sold or rented so there can be some wild cards inside but start your looking on the outside then move to the inside IMO. It all started as an antique flea--evolved to Rods and everything else, now mostly repo parts , tires, catalog stuff with very little real old / cool / rare/ parts at all. But there is always that one guy you find before anyone else does that can make the trip for you--don' come expecting a gold mine--you will not be happy but...weather usually good, it is BIG, and anyone can find something at it.
    Come on down but know it is as well worn as Carlisle

23. Ditto, I did not set up a Carlisle for the first time since I can remember I am not even looking forward to it. I think Carlisles days are over.

24. Internet sales of both cars and parts have had a huge effect on the overall quality of Carlisle for sure. Carlisle management has been their own worst enemy. They've priced many of the long-time vendors out of the mix. Back when there was only Fall Carlisle there was a large turn-out of vendors and buyers. Over time they created so many smaller events ( MoPars, Vettes, GM. Ford, Bikes, Imports, Trucks, etc.) they diluted the quality of their "main" event. Now truck guys might go to the truck event and GM people might go to the GM show and pass on the Fall Carlisle. Just my thoughts, but the previous comments about the downslide of the event ring true to me.

25. 5window

5window

I bought my A at Carlisle on a Sunday-a friend spotted it and i went back. When I first got it, 10 years ago, I needed lots of stuff and there were lots of vendors selling old, odd parts and supplies. Now, I mostly go for the unusual or coll stuff since I need fewer bits, but those guys are disappearing for either the truly commercial vendors or the sock merchants. I'll still go, but probably cut back and not do spring/fall. Thank God there is still Hershey.