Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sad day.....fairwell to another drag strip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65 Hemi Coronet, Feb 10, 2013.

1. 65 Hemi Coronet

65 Hemi Coronet
    from Florida

Sad day for me. Found out that the drag strip I originally started racing at is closed. Island Dragway, in Great Meadows, or Hackettstown NJ has closed. This is the track where Don Garlits first went 200 mph officially. I was there the day he did it. It was a great "home town" little strip. I guess good things don't last forever. :(
    http://www.dragzine.com/news/new-jerseys-historic-island-dragway-closes/

2. 1948Fleetmaster

1948Fleetmaster

NO! This is the first im hearing of this as well. Im only 27 and have dragged cars there since i was 18. My father was there all the time in the 70s and 80s as a spectator and later a mild weekend racer.

3. Deuces

Deuces

Here comes another walmart strip mall....
    I think (don't quote me on this) that's what happened to Detroit Dragway....
    I haven't been in the area since it closed...

4. Nope giant industrial complex. Much of it empty! Although they do build the battery for the Chevy volt there.....and judging from the millions of those on the road must be real busy

5. Deuces

Deuces

Millions???.... I seen one for the first time a couple of weeks ago coming home from work..

6. Verminator

Verminator

Island had a great feel to it - -pits, bleachers, concession stand all screamed 1962. Had my best run / fastest time ever there. They just repaved the whole track a few years ago. Shut down for 2013, but hopefully, someone will step up and save the place.

7. BOHICA

BOHICA

Sarcasm, dude. ;)

8. Future Stock

Future Stock

I think the talk on another site was that the tax man got them, and a group of local racers are taking it over.

9. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Anyone got any old pics of the strip.
    Jay

10. 5quart

5quart
    from NJ

Pic My car at Island 1960
    [​IMG]

11. *****GREAT NEWS ***** - just announced !!!

Island Dragway
    After months of waiting, listening, reorganizing and a great deal of thought we are finally ready to make the public announcement that we hope everybody has been waiting for. We WILL be re-opening during the 2013 season!! We are HOPING for sometime as soon as July. The rumors about financial hardship are true and we ar...e not out of the woods yet, though with proper management and some luck from the weather we hope to stick around for a long time!

There seemed to be people coming out of the woodwork to offer a helping hand, so we would like to take some up on that offer. If you would like to donate some time or money please send us an email at [email protected]<WBR> with your name and contact info, every little bit helps! Local businesses who would like to set up a sponsorship package, please contact us as well, this is bound to be one of our best seasons with the amount of publicity we have gotten as of late!

We are looking for EMS providers for this season. Any EMS providers with Friday-Sunday availability please email [email protected]

We are also looking for clubs interested in hosting or helping with special events, particularly Import, Truck and Rat Rod/Jalopy events. If you know of a club or are just have some AWESOME ideas, please send an email to [email protected]

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Damn cool to hear! Wish we could have done some sort of deal to save SpeedWorld out here, but more power to you guys!!!

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Might be a good idea to contact a moderator and change the title of this thread around so others hear the good news!!!

14. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

bump. the track is re-opening. lets get out there and help them stay open!!

15. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Anyone remember the old bumper stickers
    "SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DRAG STRIP"?
    Maybe we need to bring em back!