Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Another look at the Nash Metropolitan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

Spent a ton of time behind the wheel of a stock one. It was fitted with a tow bar on the front and used as a delivery/chase car for the body shop/used car place I worked for when I was in college.

Fun little car, loved that three on the tree, er, dash..

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Dated a cute little gal in Kennewick, WA years ago that had one of those, kick in the pants to drive, we liked taking it to the drive-in movie, but didn't venture far from town, just too small for long-distance trips.

3. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

We love ours! Have had it since 1995, been sitting for nearly 7 years. Before that the wifey drove it every day, we travelled to Carmel by the Sea in it for our honeymoon (pic)....will probably never sell the darn lil thing. Love the styling, mileage and quirkyness....bleh to some of the mechanicals though.
    11902531_1623936501228964_1618643159403251035_n.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    exterminator likes this.
  4. 63 Avanti 3137

63 Avanti 3137

I remember growing up in Hood River, Or, being 13 or 14 and 'racing' around the pear orchard behind our place in the one my dad picked up... I think for me to trash out in the orchard so I'd get it out of my system. Thanks for the memory...

5. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Saw one racing in vintage British touring car class. Didn't know they sold them over there, too.

6. John Lafayette

John Lafayette

My friend had a bunch of them. He told me that both the right and left door are the same stamping.

7. jreeder41

jreeder41

My Dad, brother and I restore, repair and sell parts for these little gems everyday. Check out my webpage link and facebook page for lots of pictures and info.

8. DD COOPMAN

DD COOPMAN

This front wheel-opening treatment sure turns one of these into a more "manly" look for me. DD

[​IMG]

9. jreeder41

jreeder41

That car was built by Posie's here in PA. I actually have the original drive train sitting in our parts room.

10. Love it! A Metro must be a building challenge -- two pairs of shoes in one shoebox, so to speak.

11. redzula

redzula

That's one reason the firewall looks so funny from the engine side. They needed foot room for the passengers haha.

Metro59 aren't you on the met free forums too?

Jreeder I just ordered a suspension rebuild kit from you guys yesterday. I like that you guys put kits together so I don't have to figure out what all I need to rebuild something completely!

12. khead47

khead47

Had one back in 1969. The doors literaly fell off! I pop riveted some gate hinges on it and drove the shit out of it. Had to carry a bar of Ivory soap to stop the pinhole gas tank leaks. Loved that little bastard.

13. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

14. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

The only car I know that had symetrical doors. one door would fit either side..cheaper to make.

15. Thelost40

Thelost40

Just the right size for me!

16. Metro59

Metro59
    from Joplin, MO

Redzula wrote: "Metro59 aren't you on the met free forums too"

I am on metropolitan.freeforums.org and have a 37 page build under "Cutomizing a Met". http://metropolitan.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=344

Hey, I like to write and blog.

I also like to vaporize tires.
    In a parking lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDstcdCF3Xw 19secs.
    And at Spooky Moon Fun Run, Everton, MO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLl8jFCtwo at 3:20 in this 5:57 video.

Pictures of this build are on this forum under my signature line.

I am a builder, customizer, and aggresive driver. Only those who have put a lot of time into welding, prepping metal, working Bondo, and fabricating, can really appreciate all the work that goes into a custom. I wanted something different, so I chose to put a strong 4 banger in a Metropolitan this time, and tweak the looks. I just finished my four-year build and it is the best thing I have to show for my many hours in the garage. It is also a friggin' BLAST to drive. :cool:

17. Chevy Gasser

Chevy Gasser

I had a '57 that owned me for a couple years. That should be an easy model to suicide the doors since they are interchangeable.

18. Saw two different Mets at the Lawrence swap meet last year, both for sale, two different sellers. Yeah, they got appeal.

19. George G

George G

I had one. I had a man crush on them since I was a kid. One I dragged it home I realized it was too rusty to spend much time on it. It was complete and looked good from 20 ft.

My big error was telling my daughter that I would fix it as here first car. She has never forgiven me.

One day I hooked it up to my ATV quad with a chain and pulled my wife and daughter around the acreage at high speed and no brakes. Yikes! and the squealing.....

20. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Thanks Bill, Another good post that brings back memories. Had a friend in high school that drove one as a daily driver (1965) Years later while attending the Pate Swap Meet in Texas I ran across The Metro Club Booth and they had several on display.
    The Club display included one that had been n stretched quite a bit. The car was actually two cars welded together. The front was a convertible body which was cut just behind the doors and the back half was a complete coupe welded at the firewall.
    The little car had Lincoln Trim that stated, "Town Car" Thanks, Jeff

21. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Cute little buggers.WAYYYYYYYYYYY back in the early `60`s,a friend drag raced one.Original engine that was well"tweaked".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

22. On the original NXI prototype, the front and rear bumpers were designed the same way.

23. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

I thought to myself "I would never own one, but cool car" until I saw yours NOW I WANT ONE! :D

24. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

I am building a 57 Metro for my wife. Installed a Oldsmobile Quad 4 with a Mustang 5 speed trans. Mazda Miata front suspension - narrowed 8" and radius-ed the fenderwells. A/C, P/B. Ron Davis aluminum radiator.
    She wanted a trunk ( the early ones did not have a trunk lid ) so I cut one in, and also filled in the spare tire area.
    Ready for media blasting and final body work. Rust FREE car thank goodness.

25. Evil clowns sure like 'em.
    [​IMG]

26. exterminator

exterminator

Lets see some pictures.

27. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

Tried to post photos but can't figure out how.

28. redzula

redzula

Use an image hosting site like photobucket or image shack and copy and paste the IMG link into your post. Some here use the attach picture in the advanced reply area but my pictures are always too big for that.