Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hillborn injection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patrick english, Feb 4, 2013.

1. ardyboy

ardyboy

We did the same as Magooz using a Kinsler surge tank and ran without the dial a jet because we raced it. We've changed to alcohol and removed all of that good street stuff. I've got the tank, dial a jet, Kinsler gas nozzles and a few other parts if anyone is looking
    [​IMG]

2. Brad5557

Brad5557

Lots of good info in this thread. I am also in the process of trying to run Hilborn for very limited street use. I do understand the challanges, and look forward to the adventure of trying to make this work. Ardyboy, I may be interested in your kinsler tank if it has the float bowl, and possibly some of your other street parts. Post or PM me and let me know what you got, what you need for it, etc.

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Took the words out of my mouth but I don't think they will listen Al. :D Lippy

4. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Get Her runnin Kenny, I want a ride!! Might get to work on the Comet this spring! Chris

5. abone1930

abone1930

Subscribed :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. Augie Delgado lives not too far from you. Brea I think. He has a very streetable Nova with Kinsler stacks. I know he says the mpg sucks around town, but had some neat ways to increase it on open roads. It responds quick, and doesn't load up. He runs an electric pump to load a surge tank under the hood (float bowl style). The injector pump takes a feed from there, and then the barrel valve dumps the return there as well. I thought that was neat, you wouldn't have to run a return line nearly as far. Look up that article, I think it had his number as well. My friend Rudy knows him, and he said he builds injector setups and sells parts. He seemed to be a good source. I was looking to do an injector setup on a flathead, so I have been looking around recently.

7. Running on top of the blower you are not as effected by engine heat and you have no pulses from the intake ports/valves.

Another setup that is real streetable is a set of Enderly barn doors on top of a large plenum, like say a tunnel ram. Granted they are not stacks but the plenum helps dampen the entire setup.

I helped a guy setup a hat injection on a tunnel ram in the '90s that he ran on the street as well.

None of the mechanical injection that we would run on a traditional car is going to be the same as a car or an EFI, it is just the nature of the beast. Even on the track there is a learning curve. Today there are books written by the wizzards, not like it was when people like Lippy and I were trying to figure it out. You either had to make mistakes and learn from them or know someone else who already figured it out.

Something to bear in mind is that mercedes had injection way back in the 30 or 40s. Not just on their track cars. hell even the highly priced [these days] GM FI that was available back in the '50s is mechanical. But they had to be tinkered with and tunned which is why many of them got scrapped for a carb setup. It seems like most shade tree mechanics are just not up to the task.

I would like to see more guys learn to run them myself. track or street doesn't matter to me, that way when the older fellas take a dirt nap someone will still know how its done.

8. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I'm a young guy, and I learned how to run them myself:

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.png
    4.png
    At last years Roundup from the fairgrounds in Friday evening traffic, to Congress and a 45 Minute stop and go crawl, back to the Roundup, back to the Embassy on Congress, back to the.....
    rndup.jpg
    side.JPG

My friends uncle's neighbor didn't do it, I didn't read about a guy that says he did it, I did it- if you need help when you are close, let me know. First, you will need all good fuel system components...

Dve

9. A guy named Fran Olson lives in Albemarle NC makes a computer controlled kit for Hilborn and other makes of injection systems. He is an old hotrodder from way back and is on the HAMB.
    F.O.X. Engineering Co
    Has a ton of rare Hemi stuff too.

10. ardyboy

ardyboy

Got one of those barn doors laying around too--changed directions

Attached Files:

11. rfraze

rfraze

There are two guys in SoCal (near you) who know how to set these up. Junior Thompson and Ted Radoumis. Junior is more retired. Ted is in Santa Fe Springs and has run, set up, and tuned them all. He raced injected gas, then blown gas for years, and has run mechanical injection on his blown small block (Energizer 41 Willys P/U) for 20 years. He just shakes his head when people say that you can't run them on the street. He is a tech guy at Irwindale Drag Strip and has a long list of cars he has set up, that run on the street. Check with him. Great guy!
    One thing he will stress is that there MUST be a fuel tank above and relatively close to the fuel pump. The pumps are gravity feed and cannot be allowed to run dry.
    Geri Tarvin told me years ago, that the system is EASY, if you read the Hilborn book. That told me there was one.

Attached Files:

12. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Thats cool.thanks bro

13. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

If they're local,someone i know probably knows them.I'll have to look them up when i get the setup and see if they can help me out.Thanks for the tip.

14. rfraze

rfraze

Start with the Hilborn book.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  15. Then you are one of the people that I mentioned in my ending statement. I applaud you young man.

16. I wishthat I had what it takes for it to be lieing around at my place. That has been one of the things that I must own before I cash in my chips for a long time. The intended use is atop a blower but you can put one on a plenum and make it real usable in the street.

17. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Hey Thanks Porknbeaner!!

Dve

18. mega squirt......lol .........

19. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Attached Files:

20. what about using a electric fuel injection pump to provide a constant fuel pressure and a barrel valve that was set up for that one constant fuel pressure it works for a electric injector why not a mechanical set up

21. c322348

c322348

Mechanical fuel injection uses the change in fuel pressure with RPM to meter the fuel, along with the barrel valve to account for throttle position. With a constant fuel pressure it wouldn't meter properly. It would always sense that the engine was turning a constant RPM.

22. but couldn't you build a valve that could meter the whole system at one pressure

23. Keep in mind that there is nothing shutting off the flow of fuel to the nozzles...ever; so the line pressure is what changes the volume of fuel delivered to the cylinders. Metering fuel at one steady pressure is an entirely different type of injection.

This has been batted around many times before, but I'm convinced that a vacuum controlled bypass valve is the key to making a Hiborn work well on the street.

24. c322348

c322348

The Corvette fuel injection had a diaphragm to do this, didn't it?