Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Borrani Wire Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 7, 2013.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excuse me? Just don't think you're helping your argument here . . .

Put me in the "wire wheels are tits" camp, especially Borranis AND Daytons. Innovative, timeless, gorgeous. (assholes & opinions)

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Honestly, it's hard to argue with that. That is pretty sweet looking. Some pretty decent photochopping skills too as far as I'm concerned.

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'm with you on that one.Photoshop Art.

4. Firedome

Firedome
    from Austin, TX
    1. THE YAY-HOOS

enough talking....when do they get here!

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Agreed.

Beats me. I guess I was out that day.

6. Weasel

Weasel

7. codeblu

codeblu

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Yep. Doesn't hurt a bit.

9. Weasel

Weasel

These are Borranis too - Alfa Romeos of the 1950s used either Fergat or Borrani wheels....

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. oldthudman

oldthudman

Beautiful wires..........

11. Weasel

Weasel

Art baby - pure art....

[​IMG]

12. metalshapes

metalshapes

The Italians used Borrani wires on powerful racecars untill pretty late in the game.

I wouldnt worry too much about their strength on a street driven car...

0105_mp_etc_color.jpg

356gtg4daytonang0.jpg

Niv-1972-28b.jpg

FerrariLM250jpg.jpg

k,MjA4NDA3ODQsNDU3NTIxMDg=,f,c12_0511_07z_1963_ferrari_250_gt_lusso_driver_side.jpg

Thomassima%20II.jpg

13. Ryan, If they don't work out for you let me know. We can work a deal. Left nut? Kidney?

14. Please just don't let them look like that vette in the pics you showed! It looks like it has caprice classic caps and whites from 1989!

15. Half-Fast Motors

Half-Fast Motors

A set of Borrani wire wheels on a 50's-60's red Ferrari.......

16. 50Fraud

50Fraud

...and most of them looked pretty great doing what they were designed to do. OK, well, my examples are just hanging around, but you know what I mean:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  17. metalshapes

metalshapes

While going through my pics I came across this one that looks like it was staged for the FIA people.

"Its a production car...
    Would I lie to you?"

:D :D

25020LM20Factory2019641.jpg

Sorry about changing the subject for a little bit here...

18. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

[​IMG]

The coolest thing iv seen in a long time ……… thank you

19. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man I hope that is photoshopped too. Zep, is that another piece of your skillful work? :D While I wouldn't toss it out of my garage if I ever hit big on the lottery and it came my way, I think the first thing I'd do to it is change the wheels to the mag. ones and sell these off. Or use them as spares for my Lusso or Riviera. Unchrome that mirror would be second. :D

I'll buy the photoshopped wires on Ryan's car as it is a sweet custom thing, but I'm still not convinced on the Miura by a long shot. The Miura was a lightening bolt ground breaker for super car design back when it came out. Wires on that is just really not doing it true justice for it's position in automotive importance. Back when that car come out, Ferrari was conservative old school and Lamborghini was the new punk on the block. The Miura set the groundwork for the Countach and a set of wires on a Countach would just look flat out ridiculous. I know anything is possible, but please don't come up with a photo of a Countach with wires now or I might have to toss my cookies. :eek:

20. skywolf

skywolf

Ford started using Halibrands on Mk I 289 powered GT40's. :)

21. Weasel

Weasel

The black Miura is not photoshopped - it's for real. I thought I wouldn't like Borranis on a Miura either but on this one I actually do. The original 1965 prototype Miura chassis ran Borranis but it looks a little odd with the Campagnolo spinners as used on the Elektron sand cast production Miura wheels. However Lamborghini started with the 350 GTV which morphed into the 350GT, which is hardly an edgy design - beautifully organic and flowing for sure but not edgy - and they came as standard with Borranis. The Miura was just - well wow. I remember to this day being woken up by a sound that made my blood run cold one winter's morning in early 1968 - a Miura firing up and then warming up in the parking lot below the balcony of my apartment....

Miura prototype chassis

[​IMG]

350 GTV

[​IMG]

350 GT

[​IMG]

22. DRD57

DRD57

ImageUploadedByTJJ1360303724.155485.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

23. Weasel

Weasel

Back on topic? Brian Burnett's Deucari on Borranis....

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike likes this.
  24. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Good point dude, I guess when I hear about Daytons I'm brain washed by the 90's wanna-G wanksters and automatically think of reversed 100-spokes which I CAN'T STAND. Just my own personal opinion here but those types of wheels have left a bad taste in my mouth for Dayton, which is sad because you are right about their rich tradition.

25. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

I'll take the looks of Borrani wheels over Dayton's any day

26. MBGuitar

MBGuitar
    from Texas

while racing budget is important... about a full set of casted wheels for a cost of a single wire? Than i agree... later it was a new performance component, in the 60's was budget

27. MBGuitar

MBGuitar
    from Texas

Well, this is not correct! First can't crack a rim since it is light alloy af 6000 series (even if you hit a curb at 50 MpH) will deform but not crack, then on wire wheels the stressed component is the spoke, but those will snap slowly if built with the correct material (absolutely no stainless), so wire wheels will tell you way ahead, unless you are drunk or asleep at the wheel

28. MBGuitar

MBGuitar
    from Texas

this not true, sorry!! i never got a knock-off wheel off, and i had a nail 2 week ago while visit in a friend with construction going on... hahahaha he was amazed how fast i did the spare! curbs ... it depends at what speed you get'em! Offroad, well also depends maybe raise the car a little will be a better thing first.
    Been there, still doing and lovin it

29. MBGuitar

MBGuitar
    from Texas

Wow... sorry i don't know where to start, don't get mad of me i'm just trying to share some of my experience with wire wheels:
    the cast dimple don't exsist for light alloy or steel rims, it is obtaine by deformation, so you can place it anywhere you like... so any famous brands as Borrani, Rudge, Dunlop, Robergel, KPZ, Fergat ect ect use the same manufacturing process... so why Borrani is consider "Special"... customization they make it up to your car needs and with light alloy rims... I don't want to make a lesson on them, but you've got it all wrong.
    I know quite a bit on this matter... happy to replay at any questions if you want

30. True, after the first few races they did go to Halibrands on the mkI's.