Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker Classic Radial vs Excelsior Radials

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GARY T., Feb 3, 2013.

1. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Wow, and the tubes are $44.00!

2. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Thats for Excelsior brand tubes---They have other radial tubes for less than half of that

3. RAK

RAK

Makes me wonder what kind of wheels they are intended for. Talked to a young Coker rep at Moultrie this past Friday about their bias ply tires. Asked him if they trued them up after mounting and balancing and he looked at me like I had stabbed him or something. Said no, the tires were perfectly round to begin with and didn't need it. I replied that when I was his age almost all bias ply tires needed trueing and every shop had a machine to do it. I wanted some bias plys for my 40 but am afraid to get them because now (at least around here) no one has a machine or even knows how to use one. He claimed they would stand behind their tires if they didn't run smooth but if I was looking to buy tires from them I would call and ask questions before I did. Especially if you plan to put them on gennie Ford wheels meant for bias plys. You never know, you might find out something that could save a lot of money and/or your life. Good luck,

Rich

4. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I ask them about that and here is the answer I got

Gary,
    I checked with my supervisor and he said yes we can test before shipping at your request and send the print out with the tires to show the tolerance they were tested at. It does add 24 hours to shipping time as it will be pulled for testing and we ask for a 24 hour time frame on special requests but are happy to help with them. Shipping on average is 20 to 25 per tire and can be determined more accurately by using the add to cart feature to get a freight quote before completing your order. If you decide to order online please add in the notes field about testing as I am the one to enter orders but need reminders to help with special requests.

5. I run them and like them a lot, If you run 700/16 bias rears use a 750/16 Excelsior, If you run 500/16 bias fronts run a 550/16 excelsior radial. The rolling diameters are about the same

Attached Files:

6. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

I have 700x16 rear and 550x16 fronts now (firestone bias)
    Was thinking of going with 750 rear and can't decide on 550 or 600 for front?
    Thinking about going with the 600's

7. Mine (pictured above) are 750/16 and 550/16 Excelsior Stahl Sport Radials, will turn your jalopy into a go kart....

8. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

What size are your rims? I was thinking of going with a 6" in rear

9. Gary, mine are 6" rear and standard 4.5" fronts. Also worth mention the 750 16 follows the arche in the body line perfectly if you know what I mean.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  10. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Thank you---beautiful roadster you have there:D

You running tubes in them?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  11. Yes I am running tubes. ;)

12. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

550&750 coke said to run tubes but I never did. Has worked for 4 years

Attached Files:

13. rpkiwi

rpkiwi
    from Truckee CA

Here is a couple of shots of the excelsior.The fronts are 500,s on a 16 4.5" rim and the rear are 650,s on a 16 by 6" rim.And they do have tubes in them.Am actually thinking about changing the rears as I am not happy with the look.Cheers Roger

Attached Files:

14. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Stahl is radial

15. J & D

J & D

I am running new wheels with my Excelsiors with no tubes, but a friend of mine has a set on early Ford rims. We have both been running them hard since 2010 without those 44.00 tubes, and are very happy with them. Call me if you have questions. Thanks, John.

16. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Got my new 750x16 and 600x16 Excelsiors & 6" rims for the 750's yesterday!!!!:D:D:D:D

17. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

I run 17" Excelsiors on my 33 - 34 wires with tubes and have to say that I love them on my pickup. Enjoy your new shoes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  18. PA Gas

PA Gas

Let's see those new shoes:D I am torn between the Excelsior radials which I know will drive better or the Firestone bias ply which looks better in my opinion.

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Post some pics Gary when you can

20. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Painting the wheels today----will post pics when I put them on the car
    Debating whether to shave the sidewalls---they are awfully "busy" will wait till warmer weather to decide---better to do that outside

Got the new wheels in the Mustang bolt pattern,so I won't have to use the adapters & that will move the wheels in toward the body---I think it will look better that way,but will still have to carry an adapter because spare tire is 5 1/2" pattern

21. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Got 1 on and quit for today--gettin old Really happy with them by eliminating the adapter and goin with a wider wheel it put the tires 2 3/4 ' closer to the body,and the circumference of the tire follows the fender well much better

Tried 3 times to upload pics & won't let me do it????
    I'll try again later

Crew Chief likes this.
  22. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Here ya go

Attached Files:

Crew Chief likes this.
  23. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The rears look good, but there sure are tall. My catalog says 31.6" for 750x16 if that's what you got. I'm sure you will like them. Gary

24. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Yeh, they are 750x16 and about 31 1/2"---My old ones are 700x16 and wore out

25. Roadsir

Roadsir

I went from radials on all fours to cheater slicks and bias fronts on my 32 Roadster and it keeps your attention above 75 on rutted interstates. I have steelies and have been contemplating Excelsiors for some time..I think I will have to step-up.

Give us some feedback after you get it out on the road, I bet it will handle very nice!

26. Revren

Revren
    from ga

when buying corky coker tires your just paying high prices for problems. out of round and out of balance .

27. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Are you speaking from experience,or where do you get your information from?

28. gold03

gold03

Hey GAry,

I will be interested in a tire performance review from you. I keep looking at the same line of tires for my build. I never took note of your local before I posted, but if the snow is not a problem...;)

gold03

29. GARY T.

GARY T.
    from S.W. Pa

Been really shitty weather---probably be at least couple weeks before I take it out,plus doing a few little things to the car right now

30. fairlane 63

fairlane 63
    from NO.DAK.

I have a set of classics I like them a lot better than the firestones I had.