Register now to get rid of these ads!

just getting started '56 Ford Mainline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fullsizejohn, Jan 14, 2013.

1. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

Just getting started on my driver project. Some things are better than expected, some a little worse. Standby for heavy rolls as the ship comes about.:D

Attached Files:

2. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

A few more for your viewing pleasure...

Attached Files:

3. lawman

lawman

You sure have your work cut out for you !!!! Good luck.

4. At our monthly club meeting one of our members has just finished making the new front cross member piece in his 56 Parklane wagon,,with the scrap piled up it must have looked much the same. HRP

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

5. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

wow, that is one crusty cross member... looks like a lot of work ahead!

6. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

Yeah that crossmember was a mess. I cut it out sat and made a template for the new one. I will grab some new steel next monday(half day at work) and tackle that next.
    Here is a pic just before the teardown.

Attached Files:

7. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

Its been pretty cold in the shop the last few weeks. The crossmember is started and hope to complete it this weekend.

Got my EMS rear floor pans yesterday. Wow, very nice! Fit like a glove. Gonna make me rethink the lesser brands rear quarters i purchased initially. Hmmm...

8. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

That's a bad case of rustmites, I think I would look for a better car. The sheet metal doesn't bother me but the frame does.

9. Good Luck!
    I wish I had a 2-door!

I have a '56 Fairlane Fordor that the previous owner covered problems in bondo.
    Currently working on making it safe - or not so dangerous.

10. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

Then you should see the frame of my CJ5! haha '56 is solid except for the crossmember. And the surface rust is actually coming off that better than i expected.

11. Looks like you're at least doing it the right way!
    I built a semi-hot motor, did a half-assed clean-up job & plopped it in.

I'm hoping my boss teaches me some day how to properly weld & I'll do some proper repairs.

I look forward to seeing the development of your car!

12. ems customer service

ems customer service

glad your happy with our stuff!

the ems guy

13. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

Turned this into this...

Attached Files:

14. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

found my donor...

Attached Files:

15. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

new springs...
    & diggin acorns and 3 gallons of dirt out of frame rail. frame looks good considering the crap the squirrels had stored inside.

Attached Files:

16. Wow, that old crossmember was a rust bucket. The new one looks much improved.

The first car I ever had was a '56 Mainline. But that was close to fifty years ago. :rolleyes: Good luck with your project. What are you going to use for a transmission?

17. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

I have a toploader 4spd to go behind the 302. The 302 is weak but runs good so it should get me going. The 8" rear is out of a 74 maverick. Pretty high speeded but again it should get me rollin.

18. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

A question for the body men!!! Ok puttin on the new rockers and quarter patch panels.... The front quarter patch panel (half the rear wheel weel to the rear of the door). Use as much of the original car or cut off as much as possible and use the most of the new piece??? Seems simple enough but cutting half of my door jamb away kinda wigs me out. Confident enough in my welding skills but this is my first try at body work and so afraid that this rust bucket will never line up. So cut off all i can or cut up along the jamb and butt my new piece to the jamb??

19. The cross member turned out great,,I'm not the greatest body man but if you take a few minutes to check out my Fotki site you can see how I did the patch work. HRP

20. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

I guess i'm leaving the original jamb and adding the panel to it.

Attached Files:

21. Ole don

Ole don

Please dont throw away the original motor. They can be made to run like gangbusters with a proper overhaul. They aint cheap, but they are fun.

22. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

Yeah , keeping for sure! Not in the budget now but one day i would like to get it back in. For now it's some new paint and a carb on the 302...

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Crossmember turned out nice,we had a member in the 52-59 Ford Group several years ago that was selling them for $175 but when he moved he quit, the demand was pretty good if you want to pick up some project cash you might want to think about making them and posting in the Group.

24. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Ill be watching this im getting ready to start on a 56 fairlane 2 dr ht resto.

25. ems customer service

ems customer service

thanks for buying again from us

the ems guy

26. Yes! Always love seeing '56 Ford builds:D Good luck on yours and keep us posted:cool:

27. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

Well got the left side tacked on.

And another shameless plug for the EMS panels. Wow! I look at the junk i originally bought and if i had to put that on compared to the EMS, i woulda pushed this thing over the hill. So glad i went with the good stuff!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  28. fullsizejohn

fullsizejohn

Ran out of welding gas over the weekend so i put some red then black rustoleum over the front end which it seems i have been wire brushing off and on for a year. I like the rustoleum.

Attached Files:

29. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Good save. The 56's are one of my favorites. I had a 56 back in high school that I put a 312 in and had a blast with it. Looked stock as could be but the 312 had quite a horsepower increase over the original 272. Have fun.