Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Sign painters vs pinstripers in a cage match to the death....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Alac

Alac
    from America

in my point of view both are the art masters and we should care of any kind of art. now a days sign painters are lead in market as compare topin strippers but it dose not mean that they loss their value.

2. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Great job on that Hudson.

My '64 fairlane is being done in similar fashion right now. I can not wait to get some pix up & posted.

3. drummer59

drummer59
    from PA

This looks like my work. I'm from central PA-been a sign painter/pinstriper since 1975. Barry Strawser is my name and this loose script style has been a style that I've been using for years. Thanks so much for the compliments.

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  4. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

There are people that letter signs, but few Sign Painters.....there is also people who do pinstriping, but also, very few Pinstripers.......there is a Great Difference............

5. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

It's been my experience that the bigger the sign, the more opportunities for a sign painter to misspell at least one word! For those who care, a sign painter in Chicago was painting a smoke stack for Nicky Chevrolet and did the "K" backwards that became part of their trade mark. There was even a special typewriter (remember those?) that had a backward "K" key.

6. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Sign painting and lettering is a true skill and so is pinstripping

I used to do both but just as a hobby. I still have my paint box full of One Shot lettering paint and all the trick tools and brushes.
    The big problem for many who try and do it full time is making a decent living doing it.

There are excepts to the rule and everyone knows about Alan Johnson and a few others who do make a living doing it.

I remember a time when there were pinstrippers at all the big car show and the N.S.R.A. shows but the costs for vendors today is just to high to really make much money so many strippers simply set up shop in a near by parking lot of a motel or something like that.

Some guys sign lettering guys have even found a niche market in make hand painted signs that look 50 to 75 years old and that is a hot market.

If you really want to see a Master Sign Painter at work watch the video below and you will see how it done.
    http://www.wimp.com/bornartwork/

Every time I watch that I cannot believe the detail and just how talented one person can be.

Just my opinion. Jimbo

7. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

When I first started out behind our local Speed Shop, he let me letter the front windows of the shop with my business name and I wrote ..PINSTIPING......I left it on there for years...told people I was a Sign Painter, not an English Teacher.......now I carry a small computer spell checker with me............I'm old now so I have an excuse to messing up.

8. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

This guy is beyond talented....he is sooo multi talented with his art, design and lettering ability it is in a league of it's own......there is only a few of these type talents that come along in ones lifetime.

9. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I am selling a vehicle to a sign painter whose card says he does hand lettering. I have considered discounting the price for lettering the doors of my F100 but have no idea what would be the expected cost of that type of work. Can I you provide some input?

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I remember the old school painter that used to hand painted numbers , sponsers and cubic inches on the hood of my Dad's dirt race cars. As a kid it was interesting to watch him do the 8 ball and the speedy bee in a helmet and repeat on the opposite side. Happy belated birthday.

11. Much like your friend Mr. Freedman, I learned to sign paint from a gentleman who was in his mid sixties at the time and teaching the trade at Pasadena City College in California. It was the early 1960's and he was really old school and capable of painting in a suit and tie as well, never getting even a smudge on himself. Incredible old school talent.

12. It sounds like you went to PCC Phil. If so was Mr. Baker still teaching there?

13. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Over the years in So Cal I used Shakey Jake, Kenny Howard, and Kim Dedic. Whatever I wanted, they did be it pinstriping or lettering or crazy characters painted on cars, bikes, boats or signs. Those true craftsmen are almost all gone. Hell, Ed Roth worked at Knotts Berry Farm as a sign painter for a while and did pinstriping also.
    I can do neither unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    philly the greek likes this.
  14. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Ron has done a couple of my trucks since I moved to AZ.('54 F100, '17 GMC) and does excellent work. Very nice guy also

philly the greek likes this.
  15. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

As a matter of fact , Francis "Pete" Baker was my teacher . He was probably the best hand lettering person that I have ever seen . He was not only an amazing signwriter , but a truly good man and an outstanding teacher .

16. Adanfup

Adanfup

@Joshua Shaw what kind of vinyl cutter did you use? Are you happy with it?

Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the market for a vinyl cutter and I sure could use some help. Where did you get started? Because there are a number to choose from. At the moment I don't want to shell out a lot of money so I was looking at desktop vinyl cutters. I've got tired of all the hype reviews that were on the net. And actually managed to find one that seems legit. On this page I've found a review that was critical. It actually showed the flaws of each machines. What do you think which one would be better.

Any help is appreciated

17. Josh Shaw has been on line here in 2 years. HRP