Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting a Bel Air bagged.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BettyBones, Feb 5, 2013.

1. BettyBones

BettyBones

Hiya,
    I'm after some advice please. I'm looking to bring over a 53/54 bel air to the UK from the states (ideally with a 350) but want it bagged.
    If I get the conversion done over here (with all the notching, new beams and front discs etc) it costs loads and there are not many garages with the skills to do so. From what I'm told, there are loads of state side places that could do it?
    So really, my plan is to find one in the states, get it to a sweet garage, get all the work done (which also saves on shipping parts) and then have it shipped over, ideally for summer.
    What do you think please, any ideas? I need a trustworthy garage with superb skills that may even look out for a Bel Air for me and then do an excellent job.
    Cheers for reading:)

:D

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You want to find a decent car to start with, and have all the work done, and shipped, in 4 months? I'd be looking to buy a car that is already done.

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

maybe Gambino's can help. but finding a car, getting to the right shop and done in a few months is going to be tough. but if you have the right amount of money, things can get done quickly.

4. BettyBones

BettyBones

Cheers Guys, maybe I've watched to much Gas Monkey garage!!
    Depends what the 'right' money is. I do want it by July or august though:)

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It might take you that long to find a good, finished one, not including transit time. Reality television is not real. All television is scripted, and time compressed.

6. BettyBones

BettyBones

True, I'll keep looking. Do want I find a good garage though.

7. Check your PM inbox, sent you a message.

8. lakild

lakild
    from ga

call hales speed shop in lewis texas

9. Place a "wanted" ad in the classifieds. I see them here for sale now and then. It would be good to also have one of us check the car out for you so you don't get something that is less than what you want.

Bob

10. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

we have all the parts you need , were prob more expensive than most but we do it right the first time regardless who dose it , we make the parts you will need to get the job done.
    heres our work

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=394429
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293280

the cheapest way would be

you can do dropped up rights , steering arms , and bags in the front , and notch , bag over leaf in the rear

most expensive MII in the front tail dragger in the rear

theres alot involved with 50's chevy cars the lower you want to go the more you need to cut and remove or change , tire size has alot to do with it any 15 " tire your gona ether have to remove the wheel wells or raise them like in the non traditional chassis thred i can help with advise heres my email [email protected]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  11. Br8kNek

Br8kNek

Don't forget, you'll also need to convert to an open drive line if you want to bag a 53/54 Bel Air, which requires a more modern rear end and transmission.

I was able to find a good running 54 Bel Air with an inline 6 on Craigslist, and talked the guy down to $7k.

I had a hub-to-hub Mustang II front end installed, TH350 transmission, C-notch, 4-link, Accuair E-level system, front discs, and bags,etc all installed in about a week, with me and 2 other guys working on it. All the parts cost around $6k and about another $2k to have it installed at a shop that specializes in rat rods, lead sleds, bombs, etc.

I'm not sure how much shipping would be, but for what your looking for, your probably looking somewhere in the neighborhood of $15k, give or take a few thousand, to have it done properly and then sent to you.

12. -Gambino Kustoms

-Blue Collar Customs

-Skoty Chops Customs

-VooDoo Larry Kustoms

Those are the ones that I have seen FIRST hand the work and it is top NOTCH (no pun intended:eek:). Google or HAMB search any of those four shops and you would be amazed.

13. edisonfire

edisonfire

you guys really are the best!

14. msalamanca

msalamanca

Can be done, in the time you need it by, also consider how long freight shipping takes.
    But it can be done with the right price.

15. lawman

lawman

Sound's like a good plan. Please keep posting.

16. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

Well that's your problem right there!

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And TWO of those shops have responded to this thread.:D