Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for id on possible caddy cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thknuckles, Feb 4, 2013.

1. thknuckles

thknuckles
    from Holiday

I have a 1930 custom "Caddy" truck hot rod, or at least that's what I've been told is what it is. I have a serial number found inside the passenger door jam #4053075. Having a hard time searching 7-digit VIN number. Any suggestions

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

first suggestion from me is, go do an intro...

second is, pics of what you have might help more than the number alone

3. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

Interesting, how about a picture?

4. thknuckles

thknuckles
    from Holiday

Here's the pic, I was told it was originally a four door

Attached Files:

5. Read the rules and post a Intro?

I doubt very seriously it was ever a pickup. HRP

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

that thing will haunt my dreams tonight... man izzat rough

7. Whatever it was ? Idk
    But its a pickup now

Did you do an intro yet ?

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, that one gets the February prize for the most hacked up body showing up here. If it did start out as a Cadillac sedan I'd look more at the 28/29 models and maybe the 30 V8 model. A search shows that they didn't use serial numbers on the bodys but went by an engine number stamped into the block.
    If enough of the original dash is in it that along with good shots of the firewall are probably how you are going to identify it.

Some models of 28/30 Cadillac had visors but they were hinged and not fastened on with that droopy eyed rat rod look and if you did your homework you will understand that rat rods are highly frowned upon on this board. If you are trying to build a slick little bobber truck out of what you have head on go for it.

That said, you cou

9. thknuckles

thknuckles
    from Holiday

yes, I have posted a intro, I'm sorry I didn't know it was REQUIRED. And I'm also sorry if the image of my rod is not what you like...it's not yours. I'm only a 26 year old female into hot rods and I thought posting on the HAMB might give me some insight and help, not criticism.

10. thknuckles

thknuckles
    from Holiday

thank you, the rod in the background is my husbands custom roadster pick-up, model a frame and cowl and late 60's vw doors, it may not be what everyone else prefers on this site but it was a cheap fun build which is perfect for us young poor people who can't afford a shiny paint job

11. http://www.paintforcars.com/acrylic_urethane_paint_kits.html

This should solve one of your troubles. Cheaper than going out to dinner twice

12. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Looks like a great start! Not sure what some people problems are, we have seen much worse bodies on here turned into beautiful rods.

13. Hold everything there, folks...it's NOT a Cadillac. What you have are the remnants of a 1930-1931 Dodge Brothers DC8 four door sedan body. Somewhere along the way, they went from stanchion mounted cowl lights to cowl mounted lights without the stanchions. The sun visor pattern in the center and the side body lines are a giveaway. I see that someone has cut away the side cowl vents and replaced with flat metal. Here is what is looked like originally.....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  14. thknuckles

thknuckles
    from Holiday

Thanks so much! that def. matches what i have. The visor was what origionally tipped me off that it wasn't a caddy. I still have the reminants of the vent on the driverside but it has been covered, unfortunately bare metal doesn't last long in Florida. I appreciate your help 31Dodger!

15. bgaro

bgaro

whats your plans? in its current state it's not the most appealing to us hambers. tell us how your gonna save that turd in a traditional manner, then we can be pals.

16. TrampHammer

TrampHammer

way to make friends knuckes...caddy truck you rock

17. thknuckles

thknuckles
    from Holiday

Don't know if I'll be able to "SAVE the Turd" by these guys standards, but i'll love my rat rod because I built it, no matter how busted it may look. Isn't that what it's all about?

18. TrampHammer

TrampHammer

enjoy your vision. its what you want.

19. It might be what it's all about for You, but it is NOT what the HAMB is all about. This place is for Traditional Hot Rods and Customs, it doesn't mean we don't like other things, it just means this isn't the place that for things that don't fit that descriptions. You don't join the Boy Scouts to sell Girl Scot cookies - same kind of thing here ;)

20. lazyworker

lazyworker
    from Tulsa, Ok

Welcome to the HAMB.

There's just metric tons of knowledge around this site, but this sand box is set up / intended for "traditionalists". Most people are laid back, live and let live types, but some aren't.

Use the search engine here (god sometimes that's all I do), ask your questions and don't be surprised that someone has something to say you don't like.

My unasked for opinion, I agree with you. Build what you like and can afford.

I do wish there was an "off topic" or non-traditional section, but I'm too lazy :D to start my own website or help moderate a thread board.

Enjoy the car and post.

21. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

You most def should name it Caddyshack. No worries, my rides don't fit the profile either... And young guns should be praised, not ridiculed. A young lady, old car nut to boot! :cool:

;)

[​IMG]

22. Why call it "Caddyshack" if it's not a Cadillac??

23. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

and, young guns building 'traditional' hot rods and customs are certainly welcome. I'd suggest you leave the 'rat rod' description at the door....the door across the street and down the road a little bit. We (the HAMB) don't really appreciate that crappy look and it doesn't fit the traditional builds that typify early rod/custom cultures (say 1903 to 1964) If you'd tell us what your plans are for the car, then you'd either be lauded for your vision, or run out of town on a rail. Clue us in on what you're going to shoot for with your project.

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Awww that's not true at all...there's lots of guys on this site that paint their car with rustoleum (and that's affordable)...and a few guys that have used latex paint and it's come out decent looking...and if you can't even "afford" latex or rustoleum and use that as an excuse to leave it rusty, then you're definitely in the wrong hobby...

FWIW, welcome to the HAMB...stick around - maybe our "traditional" bent will rub off on you...!!!

R-

25. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I love when people say they cant afford paint thats why they leave rust...paying someone to do the paint for you is expensive. Doing it yourself is quite affordable, people are either scared of painting or lazy

26. It's not a "RAT ROD" it's a "BUDGET BUILD"! Something to remember here on the H.A.M.B.! Good luck with your build!