Register now to get rid of these ads!

no matter where you live, Speedworld needs your help NOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by applekrate, Jan 29, 2013.

1. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Cut the conspiracy theories. The fact is Maricopa County has specific permitting requirements for any sites in their jusrisdiction. Some of their requirements may seem tougher than other areas, but that's why local people have to keep an eye on what is politically happening in their community. The contention is Speedworld has done numerous changes to the site which was not done under permit or approval of the county.If you google the Ford proving grounds which is nearby, you'll find they got into alot of trouble at their facility nearby, resulting in fines, and having to permit changes already made. They brought it back into compliance. Like it or not, these are the things you have to deal with if you run a facility.The amount of money in fines and permitting the site to bring it into compliance is the issue. You may not like the rules, when you ignore them they come back and bite you. I am currently working on a project for a client in the area.

2. 69Chevy4WD

69Chevy4WD
    from Phoenix

I wrote a pretty good letter to Supervisor Andy Kunasek, State Senator Addy Driggs and also State Repredentatives Kate McGee and Eric Meyer.

It's over on turbobuick.com under "speedworld dragsstrip in AZ rumored to be closing" Post #16, but i cant get it to copy into this post.

I invite all of you here to copy it, change the senders name and send it to your reps, too.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Unfortunately sounds more like opinions like this is what brought them to this day to begin with.

If you don't dig government, either move to your own island nation or do something constructive to shape it the way you want it. That is how this country was designed to work and still does for the most part. Trolling around the internet talking garbage isn't going to do much though. Government is mostly about respecting other people. If you don't have much respect for other people, then that's your actual problem, not the government that is there to help make sure that happens.

Hope they can get their issues resolved and get their permits back.

4. Thank you Chip! You are correct. emails can simply be deleted with a finger. Phone calls are more personal and take more of their time and show more of a serious nature. A phone call is the 2nd best thing that can be done if one cannot go there personally.

I am now starting to make 2nd calls to these offices. Only 1 office, Az trust land dept has returned my calls. It was this morning. He was polite was would not comment on Speedworld issues because he said there was litagation involved.
    My understaning is there is a court date tomorrow, Friday. Cannot find any more details. If I can, I will plan to attend the court tomorrow.
    If anyone has info on this, please share.

please continue to flood these officies with polite calls showing your concern

5. This was sent to me from Speedworld this morning to share---

Hi Everyone, this email will tell you what has happened in the past several weeks, and specifically the events leading up to the refusal of the County to issue the Permit they said they would do. Feel free to copy and/or forward this to anyone you know who might be interested.
    Also, there is a graphic with info about a peaceful Rally to be held NEXT SATURDAY at Wessley Bolin Plaza, right across from the capitol. We urge you to hook up your trailers or bring your pickup with bikes/quads in the back and attend. Hal Sanguinetti

The Maricopa County Zoning and Planning Department and Arizona State Land Department have ONCE AGAIN lied to Speedworld and this weekend's event has to be cancelled.

A Temporary Use Permit was submitted to them from Speedworld as part of an "exit strategy" agreement that all parties had verbally agreed to last week. Late Thursday afternoon, one of the two departments refused to sign off on the Temporary Use Permit unless SW signed a new, completely different agreement that had been drawn up (without SW's prior knowledge). This "new" agreement contained unreasonable & unachievable demands. There is no way that they could have fulfilled those demands.

So, once again, the target has been moved.

Glamis Status along with other local and national promoters are organizing a PEACEFUL RALLY downtown to show the government how we all feel about Speedworld and hopefully raise some awareness to the powers that be on just how important AZ's longest running motorsports park is to all of us. WE WILL NOT GO QUIETLY!

The date of the rally is Saturday, February 9th at 10am. We will occupy the Wesley Bolin Memorial Park and hold a press conference, letting everyone know what's been going on behind the scenes (this is going to be good!). Wesley Bolin is located directly across the street from Governor Brewer's office (the state capitol), and also, directly across the street from the AZ state land department. We encourage ALL RACE FANS, OHV RIDERS, AND MOTORSPORTS ENTHUSIASTS TO JOIN US! A map can be found here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...31&ei=SpQJUcvpGczFiwLBvoCwDQ&ved=0CKABEPwSMAM

Attention State Land Dept. and Maricopa County Supervisors that are trying to close Speedworld. You work for us, the citizens! We pay your salaries through our tax dollars and we demand that you govern accordingly. We will not be bullied by our government and we will not let you close our OHV facilities without a fight!

--
    Hal Sanguinetti
    Dragstrip Manager, Publications Manager, Announcer
    Speedworld Dragstrip, Surprise AZ

<CENTER>[​IMG]</CENTER>

6. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

^^^That is good info. But, it would still be nice to know what the county is actually asking for and what exactly is the whole situation about. I might have missed it . But from what I can tell, that still hasn't actually been stated. Just us vs. them is a bit vague. Maybe there is actually some way to meet all or at least enough demands to save the situation. Just saying they can't be met is a bit hard to galvanize and focus attention.

What exactly are the specific issues they can't resolve?

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Calls made, and as I said earlier, probably repeated tomorrow. With all due respect 31Apickup, I live here. I have been involved in the historic preservation scene downtown for about 25 years now. I can't just "can" the conspiracy theories after some of the things I have witnessed in the name of progress. We're talking 100 year old historically protected buildings near the path of developers wishes that mysteriously burn down after mulit month legal fights, and alway supposedly at the hands of transients. Yes there are a very specific set of codes around these parts, and I'm possitive that Speed World has skipped one or two of them at different points in time. However, when someone wants you land around here, and it is in the monetary interest of the county, or, even the enviromental whims of a group, suddenly and with no warning, changing a light bulb becomes a "permitted" kinda deal. I have seen it happen many times over. Hell, one of the Maricopa board of supervisors demolished her own empty, historically protected home about ten years ago on a Saturday and with out a permit to open a tract of protected land for a developer. She was suppossed to serve jail time, yet received a VERY light slap on the wrist 'cause "She didn't know she couldn't". She never even lost her seat on the supervisor's board and has been rellected twice since. This is our local governing climate.

8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

If you have Facebook you should start up a "Causes" page on Facebook and start sending it around.;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  9. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

Im down and I got a bad Tire, but I will limp it down for this...

10. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

What is the status of Firebird? I heard the Indians had revoked their lease.

11. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

After reading the news articles, it seems that this issue has been ignored for 6 years and on the report of a bleacher structure for 5,000 to 7,000 spectators being built with out an permit (and therefoer no inspection) I would think that it should be closed.

12. I remember that. Correct me if I am wrong- Mary Rose Wilcox?
    They find themselves above others.

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yup, that's her...

14. dillinger trucking

dillinger trucking
    from minnesota

We are losing a dirt race track in fargo n.d. ,For the first time in over 50 years no-one has leased the property.Last leesee was Donnie Shatz[Tony Stewarts hired sprint car driver and his dad.
    Another too, soon be lost is the Superior Wi. race track as a airplane manufacturer has purchased the property and will probally be developing that land within couple years.
    What the hay,they are not making land any longer.
    I feel real sorry for people that use these tracks as a lifestyle.It could happen to a track near you.

15. 4bangertroy

4bangertroy
    from Phoenix

I have made calls, can't get live bodies and get no calls back. Gee, what a surprise.

16. Guys, we need to contact Mike Broomhead at KFYI M-F, 4-7 pm. He's a good guy, m/c rider and so on . Let's email him and then call in Monday during the show. Somebody will get through. If you do , be respectful, and ask him to plug our rally, and ask him to attend.
    [email protected]

Talk Show Call-In, 602.260.KFYI... 602.260.5394.... News Tip line, 602-374-6120.

17. Lil bump for the guys in the cubicles

18. MoparJoel

MoparJoel

19. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

E-mails sent and phone calls made.
    Hi guys.
    Nick, didja look into that nailhead yet?

20. Thanks for the support everyone ( except for Roger Walling who thinks here it should be closed ), we need to keep at it.

21. I live on the wrong side of the border here to be of much help, but GO GET EM BOYS!! STAND STRONG TOGETHER.

22. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

Not yet, its still sitting right where you and I set it down. We pulled a hidden gem outta the backyard and I've been trying to get that ready for the SWND on 3/16(assuming we still have a track to run on).

23. Not really. You could actually be more important because you are far away. If you called and expressed interest in Speedworld staying open, that matters that people of far are also concerned. It really is NOT a local issue. We want this drag strip around for people to enjoy for decades to come.

24. Know what...You're absolutely right.
    I'll be making phone calls this morning.
    Good luck guys!

25. thanks much!!!

26. more info surfacing......

Here's a recent assessment of the docs provided, by an individual that does NOT work for Speedworld and has no financial or political interest in Speedworld.

January 31, 2013

This is an evaluation of the handling and treatment of Speed World based on hundreds of pages of documents provided by Dan Mathews on January 29th. I spend 6 hours today to review them and document my opinion for you to consider.

In evaluating what has happened, I believe that Maricopa County Planning & Zoning Department, has failed to exercise their responsibility and duties by not visiting the property once until after they filed something with the commissioner to hear the alleged violation. How can they determine what is, or is not permitted by satellite photos that require a magnifying glass to see structures? How can they instruct someone to “remove all structures not permitted” when they themselves don’t know what is permitted because they last the documents and admitted they have no records of previous buildings or structures from previous owners? Does this mean they never permitted anything at the location in 51 years? Would this not demonstrate administrative negligence on the county’s part?

Additionally not once did they provide a written notice of a violation to Speed World outlining what code sections he has violated, highlighting the specifics of this code section he has violated and instructing specifically what he needs to do to fix it. How can anyone hear a violation without a statement of facts to outline the violations and no supporting report to show efforts an organization took to get the business in compliance or argue the fact that the business knew exactly what was in violation? Remember, this property is over 300 acres and has several tracks and spectator areas.

The County was dishonest in their dealings with Dan Mathews in the very beginning. With their original instructions (see exhibit C) they were requesting their 12-point correction plan at his expense. They stated: “The original SUP appears to be smaller than what is currently utilized.” They contradicted themselves when Dan obtained an attorney (exhibit H) and he asked the very same questions that anyone else would ask. That being how can they determine stated information from a document that they admit to have lost? Their explanation was that they “have their zoning maps and P&Z minutes.” These haven’t been produced to substantiate their claim. It appears they didn’t like Speed World getting an attorney so they increase their efforts.

They file a Compliance Agreement alleging drainage issues being out of compliance and order a “Ceased and Desist” on all operations. (Exhibit J) Then after that fact they get clarification that Speed World is “outside the depicted Urbanized area and is not subject to storm water regulations covering construction or post construction”. (Exhibit L)
    (This maybe this is why there is no further action evidenced on this with more paper work.)
    The county also filed another set of Compliance agreements on March 15, 2012. They gave Dan Mathews until May to pay his fine and submit plans for an SUP. Then on May 4th, they file an emended one, after he pays his fine of $1000, ordering him to “cease and desist”. This is 11 days prior to the given deadline and appears to show arbitrary and capricious enforcement practices.

As far as the documentation shows me, it is my opinion that Dan has made every attempt and communicated as much as possible to satisfy what the county asked for. Sure he may have had some time issues, but there needs to be some consideration given to the fact that it is not his land. He has to get approval for some things from the state prior to changes being made. This takes time and I can’t say the county allotted for this. You’ll see his attempts in various exhibits. Yes he is out of compliance with some things and admits this. He hasn’t tried to deny anything, just ask for specifics as to what they want him to do. He submitted for SUP’s, submitted plans, emailed requests for assistance and got an attorney. Who wouldn’t?

The only time Darren Garrard placed foot on the property was to collect evidence of violations after he filed action against Speed World. This didn’t occur until mid 2012. This too is irregular. In my 20 years of court experience, working as a gang officer with GST and effecting at least a 1000 arrest and writing arrest/violation reports, this action would have costs me my job, and possible landed me in civil maybe criminal trouble. It is called due process of law. This is civil citation that can escalate to criminal matters against Dan Mathews and it appears that it was not handled with the care and consideration it deserved or that Dan deserved.

For the state issue, the state of Arizona Land Department filed an “Order of Lease Cancellation for Default” on December 27, 2012. It was not for failure to pay his rent as Supervisor Max Wilson misrepresented to Representative Rick Grey when he called and inquired. It was for not providing insurance satisfactory to the State Land Department’s new Risk Management Officer. Reportedly, this is the same insurance provided to the state since Dan Mathews has been in business on the property. Additionally, Dan’s insurance has been sufficient to cover any law suites that may arise. He has reportedly only had one incident that he has had to pay and it was for an individual, a minor not following appropriate safety rules and got injured. He sued and Speed World settled with a small amount to get it over with. His insurance covered it and neither the state nor the county was on the line for any damages. Not bad for 15 years or business in the racing industry.

It has been made perfectly clear to Dan and his attorney that the state “wants to get out of the racing business”. Well they aren’t nor have they been in the racing business. Speed World is in the racing business and Speed World is the operator of that business and is insured for that business. The state only leases that land to them and has been since 1961. It hasn’t been a problem for 51 years so why is it now.

27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

28. yet more info-

But WAIT! There's MORE!

Issues with Speed World

(Exhibit A)
    Letter dated 9-20-04 from Maricopa County:
    On September 2004, Dan requested a liquor license and special use permit for an event. Given a verbal okay and told to submit a “letter of Intent” acknowledging an intent to update the Special Permit for Zoning Case Z-217; a Special Permit for Race Track and associated Uses in a Rural District. (no indication from records provided if this was accomplished and no records indicating it wasn’t from Maricopa County.) No mention of needing to provide site plans for Zoning of entire property.

(Exhibit B)
    On 4-26-05, Dan went to Maricopa County with Pre-Plan Meeting paperwork to get permit to have APS run power to the facility and discontinue use of an 800-amp diesel generator.

(Exhibit C)
    On May 8th 2005, Letter from Maricopa County citing case number Z200617 contending “According to the site plan, the boundary of the original SUP is not shown, this must be added to the site plan. (This is interesting because there is no mention that the county lost the original site plan and yet they are referencing it in this statement. This is disingenuous at minimum. See exhibit G)
    Further, they list 12 things they want him to do all of which appear to provide a document that brings them up to date on what his boundaries are and what is on the site, much of which would be available to them had they not lost the original SUP. Additionally, they assigned a new case number to fit this request? (All at a cost to Dan)

(Exhibit D)
    Letter from Dan Mathews on August 30, 2006 to Mr Fullerton Plan Examiner stating he has updated all paperwork and received next items to be done. Dan faxed memorandum to him and is asking for assistance via phone call as to what is required for his next project.

(Exhibit E)
    Letter dated September 19, 2006 from Maricopa County to Dan requesting a letter of intent to continue with one of three bullet items due to inactivity. (Different Planner-an assistant)

(Exhibit F)
    Letter dated October 4, 2006 from Dan Mathews stating they have applied for permit for power expansion and stated they have hired an engineering firm for the work.
    He asked for keeping case open with this letter of intent.

(Exhibit G)
    Memorandum dated May 16, 2007, addressed to Terri Hogan, Principal Planner with Maricopa County P&Z. The background stated that an original approval was given to Case Z217 for AZ Raceway in 1961 with “No Stipulations”.

Discussion section: Speed World is requesting minor changes for electrical that involves approximately 346.5 acres.

“The original SUP for this site was approved in 1961 under case Z217. Since that time, the file has been lost and there is no current site plan on record. Due to changes in ownership over the course of this project, there is also no history of what was originally approved and what currently exists on the site. This case, Z2000617, will constitute the site plan of record for the site. “
    It states that the original SUP area of Z217 appears to be smaller then the current site being used by Speed World. They were requesting (remember this is an internal memorandum) a “major amendment within 120 days in order to increase the SUP area to include all existing facilities outside the current SUP. (Question, how do they know what the boundaries are without the original SUP since it is lost?)

Recommendations:
    Approval of Z2006017 for following reasons:
    • The proposal will have minimal impact to surrounding properties.
    • The proposal does not result in a change of land use.
    • Reviewing county agencies have no objections.

Stipulation is:

a. Development of the site shall be in general conformance with the site plan entitled “Speedworld” consisting of one full size sheet revised November 22, 2006 and stamped received December 13, 2006.
    b. Development of the site shall be in general conformance with the provisions in the narrative report entitled “Speedworld Raceway Park” consisting of four pages, dated December 8, 2006, and stamped received December 13, 2006
    c. The applicant shall submit an application for a Major Amendment within 120 days after the date of approval.

Darren Gerrard and Terri Hogan signed the recommendations.

(Exhibit H)

Email records originating from a Mr. Stephen W. Anderson dated August 25, 2007. He stated he has been asked to represent Dan Mathews and speed world. He requested more specific documentation that explains the county’s assumption that Speed World has expanded beyond original boundaries since they admit the original SUP and maps were lost.

August 29th, Terri Hogan stating they have their Zoning Map and P&Z minutes. (They have no date for these documents so are they from 1961? Or from a more recent time? Are they really in existence? I didn’t see them in the box)

She then states that aerial photos from 1999 to 2007 show “significant changes to the site”. [This is in contradiction to the May 16, 2007 memorandum, exhibit G where they state, “The facility as an entity remains largely unchanged with the exception of the minor proposed changes. (That being the electrical extension)] Their contention remains the property has expanded beyond the original SUP. They only stated P&Z minutes and zoning maps. I didn’t see any follow up on getting them. Status unknown but assumption is they didn’t get them.

(Exhibit M)
    Speed World citizen participation plan - Dated October 2009. This indicates a requirement that Dan contact neighbors and inform them of his SUP request and the business type he has. Does it interfere or bother his neighbors? The track has been there since 1961 and in 2009 they (the county) are interested if neighbors are bothered by the track being there?

(Exhibit I)
    Dated 2-3-1010, on line permit for electrical improvement applied for in 2006.

(Exhibit J)
    August 3, 2010 – Plan of compliance and settlement agreement: Cease and desist operations, remove all equipment by October 31, 2010.
    One of the requirements was to get a special use permit (which he appeared to be working on) and completion of grading and drainage related improvements to bring the site into compliance with county drainage regulations; or 2) by removing unpermitted construction from the property…..(which is it? Improve drainage and complete grading or just remove unpermitted buildings? Additionally, which buildings are unpermitted? They never set foot on the property so how do they know which ones they want him to remove? How does he know? Doesn’t make any sense.) Also, see exhibit L regarding drainage requirements for his land.

(Exhibit K)

SUP application to fulfill major amendment requirements dated April 19, 2009.

(Exhibit L)
    July 21, 2009. Email from Stan Snitzer of Maricopa County Storm Water Quality Program. Speed World is outside the “depicted Urbanized area” and is not subject to storm water regulations covering construction and post construction. (I am not knowledgeable on these matters but read it to say his grading is not an issue with the county?)

Records regarding the county begin to ease during the alter part of 2010 to 2012

(Exhibit M)

March 15, 2012 - Compliance Agreement from Maricopa County.

Listed 4 critical deadlines.
    1. Pay $1000 fine by May 15, 2012. Paid by Dan.
    2. On or before May 15, 2012, submit plans for SUP
    3. On or before September 30, 2012, have an approved SUP that reflects development of the speed way.
    4. On or before January 30, 2013 have the property in compliance with completed construction permits for all construction that has occurred.

(Exhibit N)
    May 4, 2012 - Revised Compliance Agreement
    Everything is the same except for Number 2 above has been modified to add “Respondent shall immediately cease and desist occupancy and use of all facilities except for the drag strip and the adjacent parking area – unless and until such other facilities have benefit of a completed construction permit consistent with approved Special Use Permit.
    (Speed World had been working on this March 15 2012 requirements and given a deadline of May 15th. 11 days prior to the deadline, they add this and tell him to cease and desist when he hasn’t been given the benefit of the deadline previously imposed.)

(Exhibit O)

June 5, 2012. Second Revised Compliance Agreement

Order to stop all business operations.

29. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

If it's land management that's involved, it might be more due to ICLEI... that has to do with UN Agenda 21.

But it could also be the other extreme end, development that's being planned.

Either way, you'd have to fight way harder than either the developers or ICLEI to keep it open.