Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Beside the Barn" willys find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ME.GASSER, Jun 2, 2010.

1. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Baron,
    It's alot of work but i enjoy it because it's different than my day job.

2. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Enloe.

3. i dont even have 1 hemi. let alone a spare. i digress. would have like to seen the mystry willys but still a cool build.

4. 29ToyA

29ToyA

5. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

GREAT WORK! Glad to see the progress.

My latest Willys is NOT a race car, rather it is a hotrod and fully street legal.

I like that better.

racing an all steel car kept me very nervous.

6. 64 Thunderbolt

64 Thunderbolt

Keep up the good work!!! Looks GREAT!!!!

7. abone1930

abone1930

8. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

That is so cool! Congrats on finding and being able to score! Looking forward to seeing it brought back from the dead!!

9. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you. Not much has been done to it lately. My husband had trigger finger surgery about a month ago and just had ulner nerve surgery today. He will get back on it as soon as he can. He loves doing the body work.
    Gasser Girl

10. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

very nice work.... get well soon

11. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Nice save. The restoration work looks great. Good luck on it.

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm sure Larry is glad to get that behind him. Give him my best and hope to see you both at NED August 26th. :)

13. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you all for the compliments and well wishes. Baron we will look forward to seeing you.
    Wanda

14. AHotRod

AHotRod

How are you doing these days Larry?

15. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Damn man!!! That things bad ass....

16. CalGasser

CalGasser

Uh, do you folks like Willys or what? Hi Wanda and Larry, I accidently found this thread and glad I did. You folks have some nice toys and a great shop to play in - I'm envious! Keep up the great work and looking forward to seeing the progress on this project. Stay well, Vic

17. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It has been awhile since i posted anything on my build thread. The hand surgery didn't go well. I had to have a second surgery and i'm probably looking at a 3rd. I did some work on the car in the last couple of weeks. I finally received my deck lid from Randy Ferguson so i installed it and began to fit the tail panel. I will post pictures of the work completed to date.

18. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG][​IMG]
    If you've been following this thread from the start you will remember that the donor sedan had been hit hard in the left rear. I knew that i was going to have to pull the floor back straight to get the tail pan back on. So the first thing i had to do was to make the car a roller. I had an olds rear and these 5 foot ladder bars that Jim Tinsmith had made so i temporarily mounted them under the car.

19. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I loaded the car up and brought it to my friends shop where we put it on his frame machine and pulled everything back straight. Then i brought it back home.[​IMG]

20. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Looking great Larry. Sorry you are having so much trouble with the hand surgery. Looks like you're going to have to put Gasser Girl out there to work.
    Jr

21. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]I installed the two side panels by lining up the crease in the outer edge and welded those in place. The floor pan is only sitting there at this point for reference.[​IMG]

22. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After alot of fitting and reshaping i was able to install the center panel. This panel came with the weather strip channel in place. I had to remove the channel so that i could reshape the top edge of the center panel so that it would better fit the deck lid. I had to make a new weather strip channel. I did this using my shrinker-stretcher. This picture shows half of the channel in place.[​IMG]

23. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Half of the weather strip channel and a picture showing the completed channel[​IMG]Ha[​IMG]

24. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In this photo i have installed the striker for the deck lid latch and the floor pan is installed. I welded both sides and the back. I will finish the seam across the top when i pull the body off the frame. The seam is right above a cross member in the frame.[​IMG]

25. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nicely done! Very clean work!

26. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is how it looks all together. I do have the complete nose, doors and rocker panels in finish primer. I will post pictures soon.[​IMG]

27. hemipwd41willys

hemipwd41willys
    from Wyoming

Larry,
    The coupe is starting to take shape. Keep up the good work. I know where you are at with the surgery thing as i to have been held up on my projects due to a knee last September and lower back the day after Christmas. I am so over not being able to go out to the shop. Hope your hand gets better soon. Tell Wanda hello.
    Ken,

28. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jr,
    It sounds like a plan to me.
    Wanda

29. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ken,
    I'm getting real close to sending the body out for final body work and primer. I built a body shop last fall for a local guy. He does awesome work and he will be doing the car for me. Wish i could do more myself but if i wait i may never get it done. Good luck to you with your issues. Hope it all works out. Maybe i will catch up with you somewhere this year.
    Larry.
    Wanda says hi.

30. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are my parts ready to go on.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013