Register now to get rid of these ads!

Indy Roadster, Sprint Car Historians we NEED HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sr, Jan 31, 2013.

1. sr

sr
    from Monterey

[FONT=&quot]I am trying to help locate my very good friends fathers race car. We have been searching and have run dry. I thought the experts on the HAMB may like to get involved in the process and discovery. I know over the years and from many posts I have read, there is an amazing success rate with the readers of the HAMB helping locate vehicles. Please let me know if you have any information or if you could point me in the right direction. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I attached a few photos and I do have more information and part of the trail we have been on, but I am having trouble finding it in my email directory.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any help would be greatly appreciated and rewarded in some way. Imagine trying to find your fathers race car and coming up empty handed for so long.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The photos were at Sharon Speedway on August 29, 1962 when driver Denny Lowe won in the modified ‘Nestor Special’ car #63 owned by Hobe Nestor who later sold the car in the ‘70’s. We know it was last in the Ohio Pennsylvania area as a modified. We can not find names of other drives , to whom he sold the car, nor the exact year.
    [/FONT]

Attached Files:

2. k9racer

k9racer

A great place to make contacts on old race cars is a monthly mag called Vintage Oval Racing or their sister publication is called Grass Roots Motorsports. Both are published in Cailf by Don Davis and crew and they have a world wide readership. I hope this helps.... Bobby........

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

4. Tim, contact Josh Shaw here on the HAMB. His family is deep into vintage sprinters.

5. sr

sr
    from Monterey

I will go dig through those threads. They are a mile long however and I thought this would get some new eyes.

6. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I can tell you that the pic on the left.... The gentleman on the right holding the trophy is Tom Novak,track owner at the time.
    His son was my shop teacher in high school.
    Quick trivia : Sharon Speedway is oldest continuously run racetrack in the USA still open today.
    I've run a ton of laps there.

Back to your search.... It's just old enough that I don't recognize the names for the car ..... But I know a couple guys who are deep historians.... I'll pass this to them.

Tony

7. sr

sr
    from Monterey

This is what I found on the other thread. I am going to email the person who posted and try to get more info and photos.

The car was sold by Malloy in 1955. It then became the Morcroft Special driven by Jimmy Davies 1956 #3 then driven by Gene Hartley in 57-58 #88, Eddie Johnson in 1955 #5. I will post some pictures of the car when it was last seen. It is thought to be in the midwest. It has a Chevy in it with a roll cage. It is #63 In the photo, the car still has the long brake handle on the left side

8. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Sr, Baldtireman knows that area really well. And he was around when god poured dirt on that end of the state.

9. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

Just kidding John!

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Post those pics on the Vintage Sprint car thread if you haven't already. Also, if you are on Facebook look up "Vintage Open Wheel" pages.. There are a couple that are STRONG with members and finding cars.

J Shaw

11. sr

sr
    from Monterey

I posted already. thanks. I will look at the others. Keep your eyes open!

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I will, sorry I couldn't help ya more. It's an interesting car... The Flat top tail will be the Identifying factor IF it's still with the car. That was rare. It also dates the car pretty far back... It was very likely a cut down Champ car from the 40's.

J Shaw

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Originally it was built by Bob Pankrantz for Emmett Malloy in the early 50s.

Attached Files:

14. sr

sr
    from Monterey

thanks so much for the help. Tom has been looking for years. Here he has a collection of super top indy cars, and he wants to find his dads and cannot. it is pretty frustrating for him. Imagine how he is going to feel when it is found and in his possession![​IMG]

15. bmathouser

bmathouser

Does anyone have any pictures or information on Bob Mathouser He is my dad .
    Thanks

16. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

Isn't the Milwaukee Mile ?

17. bmathouser

bmathouser

Hi, I understand that you are knowledgeable about sprint car racing. I was wondering if you have any info. about Bob Mathouser he is my father.
    Thanks

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Post over on the Vintage Sprint Car thread. There are several old racers/wrenches from around your dads era that frequent that thread. Some may have known him.

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A prolific USAC champ/sprint driver in the early-mid 60s. I believe he has the distinction of being the last to drive a FWD car at Indy, when he attempted to qualify M/Ts rig in 1965.

Attached Files:

• mt1.JPG
      mt1.JPG
      File size:
      67.2 KB
      Views:
    • mt2.jpg
      mt2.jpg
      File size:
      45.4 KB
      Views:
    • mt3.jpg