Register now to get rid of these ads!

best way to get 2 oz. of paint out of a gallon can -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Especially a full one

Without making a mess,
    Or getting 1.5 oz
    Or getting 2.5 oz.

You know the drill, need a small amount of epoxy etc for a touch up. There's paint splashed up the sides of the cup, so you really can't tell how much is in there. There's a big dribble down the side of the can, and boy oh boy if you only got part of what you needed the first time - you get to splash and dribble again.

2. How about using a turkey baster to suck out the amount of paint needed. No muss no fuss, works great every time. Mitch.

3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I'm going the same way as Mitch, I was going to say the one oz measuring spoon the wife uses for baking :D

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I use high quality measuring cups. Metal if you can find them.

5. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

punch a whole in the lid, ya know like the old Hawaiian Punch cans...

You oughta see the floor in my paint room...hahahaa... and the toes on my boots...

6. When I need a small amount I just dip a wood paint stick in and let it run off into a small cat food can, (that the wife wash's out and saves 4 me)
    They are 6 oz's, so I just kinds guess @ it.
    Worked 4 me 4 years.

7. Shot glass, make it a double. The turkey baster sounds like a good Idea.

8. A Rodder

A Rodder

Use the small syringe looking things that you give babies medicine with.
    They have a larger tip for thick syrupy medicine and are usually in low 2-4 oz. Dosages

9. My pinstriper/sign painter pal uses small screw eyelets. He has can of 1-shot that are decades old and still good since he does not open them all the way and let them oxidize. Poke small hole, screw in eyelet and you can now dispense tiny amounts at will.

10. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

second on the oral syringe. best way to do it and you can measure as well

11. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Pour a quick 1 qt. of paint into an gallon can and then pour the 2 oz. that you need from the qt. Return unused paint to the gallon can Cover both cans for the next time.

Ps, I hate epoxy basted turkey.

12. ...open the can, dip a soda straw into the paint, put your finger over the top end of the straw and pull it out and into another container til you have enuf.

13. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i keep used water bottels for this. i just cut 2or3 inches, make sure they're clean an dry, and scoop into the mixed paint. now you can pour them into your mix cup. party cups work too.

14. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Go to a vet, the animal kind, get a 60 cc syringe. I think they have ounce markings on them too.

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The vet supplies have them that are even marked to measure how much liquid you pull up into them for cheaps. When I worked on the dairy we had a box of them in the barn.
    Something like this that any vet supply ought to have http://www.unitedvetequine.com/horse-vaccines/Disposable-Plastic-Syringes.asp

Hell you can probably get a turkey baster or something like it at the dollar store and use it and pitch it when you are done and be done with it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  16. chrisser

chrisser

I usually pick up a set of cheap, stainless measuring cups and spoons from Kmart, walmart, wherever.

Then I bend the handles vertical.

Lets you dip them into the can like a ladle.

Sometimes I bend a little hook on the end of the handle so I can hang them into an old coffee can as a drip container until I'm ready to clean 'em rather than setting them down on the bench where they puddle and make a mess.

I've tried turkey basters, but they're hard to clean unless you only want to use them once, and the glass ones are getting hard to find. I never use plastic because I'm always afraid of the paint solvents dissolving them and contaminating my paint.

17. 1931modela

1931modela
    from montana

Lets make this a ten pager boys!!!

18. This is what I do. I mean, whats cheaper than a straw?

19. I do this. It works well. It has my vote.

20. I'm phobic about sticking anything in a paint can or returning it to the can once it comes out .

Guess I'll have to get over that if ill be sticking - straws - basters - baby medicine dispensers - or measuring cups in my paint cans.

Phobia is :
    A phobia (from the Greek: φόβος, Phóbos, meaning "fear" or "morbid fear") is, when used in the context of clinical psychology, a type of anxiety disorder, usually defined as a persistent fear of an object or situation in which the sufferer commits to great lengths in avoiding, typically disproportional to the actual danger posed, often being recognized as irrational. In the event the phobia cannot be avoided entirely, the sufferer will endure the situation or object with marked distress and significant interference in social or occupational activities.[1]

Maybe it is irrational ?
    Solvents and plastics do some weird stuff - stainless should be OK .
    Stainless steel straws ?

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

:) That's got it . Bill aka Tnomoldw :D
    You despise winter? Me too. That's why I live where we really don't have winter. I remember in '74 some white stuff fell from the sky. I called 911. They said it was snow and not to worry. It was Robert E. "Bob" Fitzgerald and his colleagues who implemented the first 911 system in Haleyville (Ala.) in 1968.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Attached Files:

22. Soviet

Soviet

Without phobia, cow syringe.

With phobia, glass syringe with stainless fat needle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. although the mess is bothersome, 911 isn't really needed . Wrong thread maybe?

24. rottenfink66

rottenfink66
    from upstate NY

You need to get some spouts for gallon cans. We have them on every can on our mixing bank at work.

25. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Four (4) teaspoons = 1 oz. Stu

26. txturbo

txturbo

I save my empty gallon cans of reducer and quart cans for hardener and put my paint in those. Then when I need some just open it up and pour what you need. No wasted paint running down the side of the can.

27. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Stainless coffee scoop.

Attached Files:

28. jazz1

jazz1

The syringe is the best method so as not to waste any paint in cleanup....there is virtually no paint lost in clean up.

29. Ive tried this , the dispensing part is almost flawless. The mixing part of this is problematic.
    I also had a failure, the paint manufacturer covered everything but investigated my use of a recycled container to the fullest