Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

Hey Quain, the tunnel looks great! were you referring to the oval hole being too big?

2. old injun

old injun

great job Quain hope to see this at the hall of fame induction when done

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I haven't posted any pics in a few days because I'm down to the little stuff getting it ready to go to the paint shop. Here a few to let ya'll know whats been going on. This is some side to side braces for the drive shaft loop.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I had all the aluminum pieces laying out getting ready for final sanding and fitting and thought this would make an interesting pic. This is just the aluminum there is about this much sheet metal that is already welded in.[​IMG]

5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

A rear shot with the aluminum in place for the trip home. The original battery box still there. The aluminum in the trunk area is just like it was in 1963 I found all the old rivet holes and cut outs and copied every thing the best I could[​IMG]

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Another angle you can see that the wheel well is back in the same hole that was cut out back in the day. They are not perfectly round but I wanted them to fit the hole just like they were.[​IMG]

7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The wheel well from the out side again you can see that they are back in the original hole.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

That's the plan it's probably very unusual that someone that is being inducted that raced in the 60s still has there original car.

9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Yea I had to make it big so the cover will go on over the shifter. It will probable be OK like it is but if I have time I'm going to make a 2 piece cover to bolt in place to tighten it up a little.

10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I don't know yet I still working with my sponsor about what deal we are going to run. If we wind up running the XDRL I will be in Budds Creek MD July 26-27 that might be close to you.

11. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Really nice work on The Moonlghter, Quain. Will we all be able to follow it through paint also? I'm really looking forward to see it all, and I'm busting at the seams to find out what color Gene originally painted the car.

12. edweird

edweird

i think corvette bahama blue, or thats what i was told.

13. edweird

edweird

quain, when will it go to paint?

14. dmc3113

dmc3113

Corvette Nassua Blue.

15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Man, the car is looking great Quain.

16. I'm not a great photographer but since Chris Dunn and his team at Palmetto Rod Worxs here in Anderson have stepped up to the plate for paint and body work I'll stop by his shop from time to time since and try to keep all you guys in the loop and the photos up to date.

PRW's is just a couple of miles from Gene's home. HRP

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    Mtn Goat likes this.
  17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

If you can, that would be great, HRP. Thanks.

18. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Just so ya'll know I will do every thing I can to keep this thread going until the moonlighter is finished. Chris Harper and the gang is ready to start as soon on body work and paint as I can get it to them. They are going to start out doing the brake lines and small things like that then start on the body work. While the body is off the chassis the headliner will be done ( we have a sponsor for that I will make an announcement on that in a few days). There will be regular updates from Chris, myself, Cromer, and sounds like HRP has volunteered to do pics if Chris or Gene can't. So stay tuned we ant going away any time soon.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  19. That's great Quain!! This is one of the best threads on the HAMB and it's all because of your efforts!! Great Job!!

As a FE Ford freak I sure am interested in the engine for this car. Can anyone provide an update regarding this?

20. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

This thread has been the best, now keeping it going with paint, and interior work is going to be awesome! Great Job Quain and everyone helping Gene out!

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Quain, you are to be commended for all of your efforts on bringing this car back. There were a bunch of Willys drag cars that ran and only a relative handful, as raced, that are around to remind us of why we liked them in the first place. Add Gene to the mix and it makes it even more special-Jim

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

Ditto!

23. no1nitrofreak

no1nitrofreak

Quain, Who's doing the motor? It would be nice if someone like Fulton would get a hold of it and do his magic on it.

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The rear bottom shock mounts they are welded to the traction bar. The top mounts are the original still on the chassis.[​IMG]

Mtn Goat likes this.
  25. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The finished housing The tall bracket on top is for the pan hard bar the mount for the other side is the original still on the chassis.[​IMG]

26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The tie down hook and old school pipe fitting for a fill plug on the back side or the housing.[​IMG]

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is what I came up with for a tack mount it will use a hose clamp just like the old days.[​IMG]

28. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tack mount welded in place.[​IMG]

29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The tack from the view Gene had over 40 years ago setting in the seat. It's in the same place from Genes memory and what few pics we could find.[​IMG]

30. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene was the Fulton of the old days he ran Genes speed shop until about 1995 when he had his stroke. He did most every body's engine work around his area and Ga. back in the day. He still has a lot of his old equipment and is planning on doing most of it himself if his health permits. I have talked to Fulton and he said that he would be glad to help get Cromer up to speed on the latest tricks that have came along since he has been out of the loop. Cromer also built the car himself in 1963 and if his health was good he would be doing all this I'm doing. He is planning to drive and I can't wait.