Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A on deuce rails getting the look.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by IronFord, Jan 27, 2013.

1. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

We are starting a 29 sport coupe build shortly. We have a pinched Blackboard 32 Ford frame on order from Gary. He should be starting on it sometime in the middle of February.

The front end will consist of a 4" C.E. drop axle, split 36 Ford front bones, F-100 steering, Buick breaks, Wilson Welding backing plates, and 4.50/4.75-16 Firestones on Ford steelies.

We will be running a carbureted 5.0 out of a 94 mustang. Eventually, we are going to upgrade to a 347 Ford stroker. The trans will be a Tremec TKO 5 speed.

Rear suspension will be a 9" ford, 4.11 gears, ladder bars, 37-41 Ford front spring, and 7.50-16 Firestone tires on Ford steelies.

We will be running a deuce shell and possibly a full hood. The car will have a 4" chop A pillars will be leaned slightly. And we will have a removable top.

I want the rear tires to sit level with the wheel well. Looking at some of the builds on the H.A.M.B, like Bass's 29 Hemi Coupe, this seems to be done a lot. My car will have a flat rear crossmember, 37-41 Ford front spring used as the rear. Ladder bars and a 9" Ford.

My question is do the frame rails need to be kicked up in the rear or will a C-Notch do the trick? I haven't talked to Gary about this yet as he is a very busy man. He will be contacting me before he starts the frame and I would like to have info before he calls.

2. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

No, c notch is fine unless u want a lowrider.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

those tires are a bit small for that. i have a model a on a 32 blackboard frame with the c notch. Im useing a model a spring and 700 - 16 and my tires are just under the fender well. It bottoms out on hard bumps cause there just isnt that much travell. Im not sure if im going to raise the rear be unreversing the spring eyes or just deal with it. you can see pics if you look at my posts i think.

edit. I read your tire size wrong. Youll be fine with the way your going.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Nope, I don't want a lowrider. I didn't think the kick up was necessary, but thats why you ask questions first. I'll use Bass's 29 as an example for the stance that I want. I don't think his frame is kicked up.
    [​IMG]

5. Pete

Pete

It's also on jack stands...Do you have a pic of it on the ground??

6. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Here's a pic of my old one

1 inch channel at the front of the cowl. Straight crossmember in the rear with Posie reversed eye springs. (A in front, 40 style in rear) ..4 inch drop Superbell axle up front.. tires.. 5.50 x16 up front and 7.00 x 16 in the rear, Firestones

Here's the complete build thread..this might help

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311375

-Jerry

Attached Files:

8. flthd31

flthd31

9. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

I like how he used the rear sections of the 35-36 rear bones.

10. lawman

lawman

That is a very nice ride !!!!

11. billthx138

billthx138

Not a 29 on deuce rails, my 30's frame was c-notched also giving it the stance your looking for.

Attached Files:

12. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Thats one fine looking Model A billthx138.

13. brady1929

brady1929

^^^^^ i agree ^^^^^

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Hey IronFord, that's one fine looking coupe....

15. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Well, my car is still in a pile of parts scattered through out my garage. I'm hoping to have a roller by spring. I think it will be a fun car when its done. The car with the hemi is Brian Bass's coupe of Bass Kustoms. I'm trying to get the stance on the Sport Coupe similar to his. If my car turns out half as nice as his I will be very happy.

Scrap metal 48 you have a very nice 29.

16. Scott

Scott

subscribed and to the top

17. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

Iron Ford, just a C-notch above the rear axle is all you need. Where you will need to spend a little extra time is on the rear spring hangers. You may need to hang the spring a little lower on the axle to get the back down where you want it.

18. jpinstriper

jpinstriper

billthx138 what are you running for a rear crossmember is it straight using a front spring like bass or a model a also what tire size is on your car