Register now to get rid of these ads!

evercoat 4+1 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Dec 12, 2012.

1. wonderind if anyone has used evercoats 4+1 dtm pollyester primmer.My paint rep is wanting me to try it on my 49 gmc. The truck is striped to bare metal and almost ready for prime.I was wondering if anyone has had good or bad luck with this product. thanks

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

hey,

Whyle i don't have any experience with Evercoats DTM Polyester , Id' be alittle gunshy of ANY polyester directly over bare metal:eek: Polyesters wick moisture from the air and pull it into contact with the metal below-that combo leeds to rust:mad:

I'd suggest a full epoxy, or better yet a full urethane primer before you spray any polyster filler on your job.

" A government by the people, for the people " my ass !

3. Which one is it? There are 3 now. The Finish Sand is actually a polyester Epoxy hybrid and gives good corrosion resistence the others are not and you should put an epoxy under them.

4. its called 4+1 ,ita a direct to metal pollyester that is suposed to have a "built in etch" according to its tech sheet.

5. It will have a name. Finish Sand 4:1, Super Build 4:1 or Feather Fill 4:1. 4:1 is just the mix ratio they are all 4:1.

6. tradrod

tradrod

I've got a friend that swears by it......as long as it has sealer UNDER it.:D

But he has been told that it is DTM as well. He just doesn't trust paint reps.:rolleyes:

7. its the super build 4+1 dtm primmer.My paint rep guy is pushing hard for me to try this primer.The tech info states that this primmer is designed with a built in etch for bare metal use. I was wanting to know if any one has used this product and if it worked as advertised.

8. Overtime

Overtime

I say give it a shot, you should be fine

9. The Super Build does not have any added anti corrosion properties to it. It is marketed as a DTM but that is based on the 6-8 mil build per dry coat.

The only 4:1 that Evercoat makes that is not a stright polyester is the Finish Sand as I mentioned it is a epoxy polyester hybrid. The info on Super Build does NOT say it has a self etch property it say it eliminates the need for them.

10. works great!!! ead the tech sheet. depending which one you use, you may need a etch primer sealer under it. for you older more experienced guys out there, this ain't
    your fathers feather fill. sands like 2 K>

fenderless

11. I stand corrected about the" built in etch" of this product, Your comment made me go back and re-read the tech sheet,thanks My paint rep used the term "built in etch" when talking up this product.

12. 62131

from glasgow,ky

So is it a dtm product?

13. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

Use an epoxy primer first, you will thank me later.

14. 62131

from glasgow,ky

Just read the spec sheet on this product and it says no need for epoxy primers apply to clean bare metal

15. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

I know what it says, put the epoxy down first.

16. 62131

from glasgow,ky

Have you ever used the product from Tamco that is a dtm and also can be put over rust? product #5311

17. Schmidy

Schmidy
    from Minnesota

Do not put any thing over rust, it does not work, no matter what it says. The only products I use are from PPG and Evercoat. If it is rusty, I sand blast it, sand it, then DP90LF.