Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody take a really messed up a body and make something worth driving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenfink66, Jan 27, 2013.

1. rottenfink66

rottenfink66
    from upstate NY

I purchased a four door 1929 a sedan about six years ago and at the time I really wanted a ridiculously low scraping the ground and only as high as your belt buckle car. I was only 14 and really had no direction. Needless to say the chop job isn't really quite right and I tried to make a sedan delivery an weld the rear doors up. It does not look good. I was thinking roadster pickup and I know people have done this many times over, I was just wondering what other things people have made with other people's aborted projects, I haven't even looked at the thing in years, it's too depressing. Now I am a full time welder and fabricator at a restoration shop, and could defiantly do the thing now but I'd like to see what other people have done in this situation.

2. Sounds like a learning curve. Most can relate. To bad, 4 drs are harder to find than 2 drs. You've come along ways and matured. Get another and pick a nice one to save you time and a better car in the end.

3. rottenfink66

rottenfink66
    from upstate NY

Someone else told me they were harder to find as well, sucks.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are a number of cars on here that began as someone else's aborted project or the left overs from other peoples projects picked up over a period of time.

I've got a boat tail roadster in the works now that is all leftovers from other projects, swap meet grabs or pieces that friends gave me for the project. The only design criteria is that it has to look like it could have been a two seat race car in the 20's or early 30's and not a hot rod or rr.

Take a few photos of the body you have and with a good side shot print out a few photos big enough to cut up and move the parts around to be able to see what you can come up with.

My roadster started out as 1919 Buick Cowl that I bought at a swapmeet 20 something years ago for 10.00 with no idea of what I going to do with it at the time.

5. BobMcD

BobMcD

Take a look at the shoebox Ford in the latest issue of Street Rodder. Not sure why they chose this one. There must be alot of better ones to start with.

6. gwarren007

gwarren007

7. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Well...you have a cowl at least.
    People have started with less! ;):D

8. rottenfink66

rottenfink66
    from upstate NY

I'll see if I can get some pictures of it it's in my buddy's barn right now

9. Normbc9

Normbc9

One 1939 GMC COE from sow to show piece. Built in La Mesa originally. Found near Legget, CA and refinished in the Bay Area. Now back at a Fire Museum in the San Diego area.
    Normbc9

Attached Files: