Register now to get rid of these ads!

Scanning old magazines - digital archive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slopchop, Jan 27, 2013.

1. slopchop

slopchop

I've come to point where I am going to have to move transatlantic (from UK back to Canada) and am having a really hard time deciding what needs to happen with my old car mags.
    I have a 5 foot tall stack of Rod & Custom, Hot Rod, etc that may not have much monetary value, but holds tons of useful info that I don't want to throw away.
    I like the idea of getting them scanned into PDF files I can take with me digitally, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. Has someone done this before? Seems like there is no archive of these things that I could buy in place of my existing paper mags.
    I asked one company that does this professionally, and the cost works out to 5 cents a page...so 5 bux a mag...so probably over a grand total. That seems a bit nuts....

Ideas anyone??

If this doesn't go anywhere, someone is welcome to come get the stack free of charge! You collect!

2. Fenders

Fenders

Tear out the pages with useful or interesting information, throw the rest away.

3. slopchop

slopchop

Thanks, I've thought about that, but if at all possible I want to keep them intact. All or nothing kinda deal....may still do that in the end if nothing else comes of it.

4. buy a cheap scanner and scan them yourself , then get a Gmail or Hotmail and email them to your new location. print them out

or save the scans on photbucket

5. I've done something similar with hundreds of old photos. Looks a daunting task but if you get the scanner and laptop computer set up in front of the TV and just feed the pages through while you're sitting on the couch then it soon gets done.

Scan only the interesting articles and if you do cut them up it makes it easier. The scanner I bought was an Agfa with a document feeder on the top cover. Wasn't expensive at all.

When you're done you could write the lot to a couple of DVDs.

6. thatredcaroutside

thatredcaroutside
    from Decatur,AL

I think it would be faster and easier to photograph them page/pages at a time with a digital camera, then make folders by magazine title/year/month/ and have all of your mags on a flash drive or 2(for back up).

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, scan and print, punch and place in a 3 ring binder the reference and favorite articles. Digitally scan and save on a hard drive the rest. Then sell the magazines to a rodder/collector that will appreciate and preserve them. Don't chop them up and throw them away-it's bad karma and sacreligious to us old car magazine collectors.

Save and ship some of the select few vintage mags that you really like. Any proceeds from the sale of your mags can go back into repurchasing a few replacement vintage magazines once you relocate.

8. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

Damn... I just threw/gave away most of my collection when I moved back last August... Scan the useful stuff... I'll buy a copy off of you!

9. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

What is it going to cost to ship them? That is what I'd probably do, unless it just costs too much.

If you are going to go through them, here is a website that has an index of articles that might come in handy:

http://hotrodindex.150m.com/

10. slopchop

slopchop

Haha, I may end up with e-copies yo ucan have. Where abouts are you? I'm heading to the GTA.

11. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Look into moving household via shipping container, often cheaper & more volume, so you can take them along.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I scan my old catalogs on one of the combination printer scanners and then down load to a picture hosting site so that I can share them with others. It's time consuming but I like it. Of course you can skip the down load and then keep them on your computer but if your computer dies and it will you lose all the scans.

13. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

GTA here too, west of TO...came from Switzerland...

14. Janne

Janne

You can use also several external harddrives plus dvd's. Do not keep your files (specially the important ones) only in one place.

15. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I'm presently scanning quite a few of my old magazones going back to the very early fifties. I'm using a Canon 9000F scanner and have had very good luck. Once I've got the scans downloaded to the computer, I then store them on an 8 gig thumb drive (available just about everywhere for less than ten bucks).

I've been sending the scans to Sondre at Kustomrama and he tells me he has no problem receiving or reading the scans. It takes a while to do this, but I'm retired so what do I care. But, it would be easy to set the scanner up so that you can scan while doing other projects. Two birds, yadda yadda yadda...

16. abc123

abc123

If images from the back side of the page show through when you scan, here's a trick: put a piece of black paper behind the page to be scanned.