Register now to get rid of these ads!

locker or posi ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lht, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Those basically go in the place of the cross pin correct? No need to change carrier or set gears up? I would think in a light car one of those would last about forever.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as it is a light car. In the 4x4 world, we caution the guys running these to keep tools, lube, a gasket, and all the parts that came out, with them, for WHEN they break it.

3. I have actually broken a detroit in the mud. Off roading be it desert racing, mud slogging or rock crawling is an entirely different world then the one most of us live in. I don't believe there is anything in automotive sport that is as hard on equipment as going off road.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True that. I recently snapped a 1-1/2" 1541 axle, like a candy cane. Oops! :eek:

5. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

A full carrier locker is way stronger than the mini lockers that only replace the spider/axle gears. Since you dont drive it much save the $400-900 dollars and weld it up.

If you want to know: i drain the diff, wash down the gears and spider with a solvent then rince with water, I shim the space between the backside of the spiders and carrier with a piece of metal, weld from the carrier accross the shim and onto the spider gears, then weld the axle gears to the spider gear where they touch. Be sure and tape up the ring gear so not to get any splatter or arch the gear teeth. I uses a old stlye 220 volt lincoln buzz box and use nickle rods, be sure and use enough heat, I have welded several race cars, 4x4's with alot of power and big tires, and have yet to have one break. But if one breaks you can then buy the full locker which will re-place the old carrier and axle gears/spider gears anyways.

Godspeed
    MrC.

6. fossilfish

fossilfish
    from Texas

I have a detroit locker sitting in a five gallon bucket under a work bench that came out of my road race car. I figure it might be good for some guy who wants to go mudding...not worth a crap on the track or street...very clunky and sloppy. It tends to make the car steer funny/dart a bit till it takes a set. Always felt like something was broken back there. I took it apart and tried to tighten it up...no luck. That is why it is in the bucket. I am waiting for one of my competitors to want to buy it from me.
    Anything but a detroit....your results may vary.

7. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

I have a torsion gleason pumpkin in the 40 pontiac and it is the best system! I have had all kinds of posi, lockers and spools and it is way nicer than all the others on the street. have a great day Gary:D

Attached Files:

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The aforementioned Detroit True Trac is of that very same design.

9. Once they are worn out they are pretty much worthless. You used to be able to buy the pieces to go through one but normally it cost almost as much as replacing it. I don't know that you can buy the parts any more.

I had one that the splines in the axle gears were shot, I have no idea how that happens. They were going to cost me a ton, I happened onto a shot rear that had good axle gears and snagged it.

I meant to say that most of the people that complain about how a detroit locker feels have always driven an open rear or only driven one that was wore slap out.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  10. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

I was told Detroit will replace if you have proof of purchase, I didn't so I had to buy a new one :(

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

For a hotrod, having a slightly altered turning pattern and some dicey clunks and squeals from rubber every so often on right turns is much, much better than the embarrassment that arrives after pulling a 3 gear, one wheeler peeler out of a parking lot. For some reason, no matter how nice the car or guy, whenever I see the one wheel peel haul off from anywhere it always makes me a little sad.

12. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Oh, and the mini spools are as cheap as 19 bucks on Slea Bay right now

13. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Sorry to keep posting, but don't use the stock pin for the mini spool! I know all too well.

14. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I just put a Detroit TrueTrac in my '32 roadster since I believe in the above mentioned reasons. But no street time or launches with it yet.

15. I've had over 25 years experience with traction aiding devices.

My opinion is;

Locker over Limited Slip; Spool over Locker.

I have had many clutch style Limited Slips fail on me. I have had good luck with gear driven styles, True-Trac. Very good.

Lockers, Detroit for me. Tried and true, very stong. As for the "Lunchbox" lockers, Powertrax or Lock-Rite, only as strong as the carrier they're in. They can be awkward, noisy and click, clunk and bang when you're least expecting it.

I have had the best luck and appreciation for spools. They are the most predictable. They feel seamless especially in a manual transmission car when you shift, no unlock/lock. They can be fun if you want them to be. It is "all" in the way you drive. Anyone who talks negatively about a spool has no first person experience or has no respect for the vehicle it is in. Full Spool only for me.

Keep in mind, these are only my opinions. Many may not agree but that's OK.

Porknbeaner is spot on.

BloodyKnuckles

16. bowtie40

bowtie40

I might be talkin' out of turn here' but personally I think that 8" is to weak if your gonna put any power to a car that weighs in the neighborhood of 3000lbs. run the 9" w/a detroit locker, or TruTrac. No Spools, or hillbilly posi (welded spiders)just my 2 cents. bowtie40...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  17. k9racer

k9racer

I have had good luck with a Gleason set up on my circle track car over 1 thousand laps and I have a OT steda Mustang road race car 2 thousand race miles.with the gleason set up. No trouble as of yet. I have had the ratchet rears and they are great until the spring gives up.